Twitter: PFF - Bryon Jones solidified himself as one of the NFL's best CB in 2018

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's the only one who seems to have a nose for the ball or plays with anticipation. Looks back for the ball, etc.Maybe not head and shoulders above Brown, but he seems to make plays when allowed to be on the field. Brown did imp a lot last season to his credit.
They both played around 800 snaps in 2017 and Brown had 2 INTs and Lewis had 1.

In 2018 they each had 1. Brown played a lot more snaps; although Lewis was the starting Nickel CB in 2 games.

Lewis had his INT in 2018 playing as the Dime DB covering Kamara. That role is a better opportunity for INTs than if he played as a starting outside CB because it offer opportunities to undercut passes (Brees threw directly to Lewis because DT Collins had come free on his pass rush and Brees threw while stepping backwards).

I'm a fan of Lewis. It was great to have a solid 4th CB to play dime and a solid CB to step up as the starting Nickel CB in 2 games (Awuzie and Brown each missed a game).

Lewis is a good tackler but Brown is also. I'll give Lewis a slight edge over Brown as a tackler but Brown is very good at getting off blocks by OL and TEs which is critical as a Nickel CB defending the slot WR.

I personally believe that Kris Richard will play Lewis if he is one of the 3 best performers in training camp. There just isn't enough difference in size between Brown and Lewis to use size as the only reason to play Brown over Lewis.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

In 2018 they each had 1. Brown played a lot more snaps; although Lewis was the starting Nickel CB in 2 games.

Lewis had his INT in 2018 playing as the Dime DB covering Kamara. That role is a better opportunity for INTs than if he played as a starting outside CB because it offer opportunities to undercut passes (Brees threw directly to Lewis because DT Collins had come free on his pass rush and Brees threw while stepping backwards).

I'm a fan of Lewis. It was great to have a solid 4th CB to play dime and a solid CB to step up as the starting Nickel CB in 2 games (Awuzie and Brown each missed a game).

Lewis is a good tackler but Brown is also. I'll give Lewis a slight edge over Brown as a tackler but Brown is very good at getting off blocks by OL and TEs which is critical as a Nickel CB defending the slot WR.

I personally believe that Kris Richard will play Lewis if he is one of the 3 best performers in training camp. There just isn't enough difference in size between Brown and Lewis to use size as the only reason to play Brown over Lewis.
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmqhTsB_SLSEqX7wIk7OQVlPkICPQ4LxDIQttyEzIJLXSfddgRQw

cern

Reaction score
He's only played CB one season. I doubt he's maxed out. He'll just get better imo.

plymkr

Reaction score
You know what bugs me about this whole thing is we had a great corner playing safety for all those years when we needed a good corner and better safety play. As far as Byron goes I hope the man gets paid what he's worth. He's been/is a good Cowboy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He will absolutely get resigned.

Not because Jerry likes CB's but because he is a solid Pro Bowl player (under appreciated by most fans) and that is a critical position.

If Richard is our secondary coach or defensive coordinator, you know he's going to fight to keep Jones because he's prototypical for what Richard likes to do.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They need to sign 2 of Dak, Cooper and Jones in 2019 in order to keep the Franchise tag for the other one.

Which one has the cheapest tag? I'd guess corner.

zerofill

Reaction score
He makes up for lack of football instincts, with his athletic ability. Which I am perfectly fine with... Because if a receiver does a move that throws him off, he can often recover fast, where others with better instincts, can't make up for it with athletic ability. i said a long time ago, they have to find a place for him, just from a physical standpoint, if nothing else. I think he is a solid CB that we couldn't replace easily.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Anticipating BJ comeing back healthy and picking up where he left off as a Pro Bowl CB.

Good opportunity to learn about Lewis, Goodwin, Olumba and Jackson for Richard. Really feeling good about the depth at CB.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
He's a good man corner because he is very athletic and has the size and length. But he will never be elite due to his lack of instincts. He's average at best in zone coverage. Doesn't make plays on the ball because he can't anticipate. He's a good corner but some things just can't be taught.

Hennessy,

You nailed it.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

You obviously have done your hw where I'm using simple eye test so will defer to you tbh. Esp knwn the play Lewis snagged his pick coverage, etc. Can I fall back on the "it" factor? :D Good post proving your point.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You obviously have done your hw where I'm using simple eye test so will defer to you tbh. Esp knwn the play Lewis snagged his pick coverage, etc. Can I fall back on the "it" factor? :D Good post proving your point.
Good conversation.

I had seen many posts that Lewis should be a starter and before studying them specifically in 2017/2018 game footage I personally had the feeling that Lewis was better than Brown; however, as I've detailed previously I just didn't see that in the extensive study of their game footage.

Lewis definitely has the Alpha mentality which is needed at CB. The All-or-Nothing episode when Dez tried to show him up and Lewis wouldn't back down was fantastic. When the team was in a big group at the end of practice to listen to Garrett, Dez was still pacing around mumbling to himself because of his frustration with Lewis. Having more self control, Lewis just took a knee in the team group like everybody else (except Dez).

Lewis was a rookie standing up to a star player on a 70M contract.

It does suck for Lewis personally that the Cowboys are deep at CB. Most other years he would easily be top 3 on the depth chart. I think back to the days of Nate Jones as a starting CB. Lewis would be the #1 CB in those years.

Lewis still has a chance to be top 3 on the depth chart in 2019. Kris Richard teaches a different type of press technique than most other teams/coaches and the overall techniques are different as well.

The KR CB techniques are basically the polar opposite of how Lewis played in college or in 2017. Lewis was slower to adopt these technique changes than the others. Byron Jones adapted more quickly than the others because it's similar to the style he played when covering TEs in 2017/2016.

More specifically, Lewis likes to play "under" and KR requires playing "over" or trail technique on the WR. You probably know over/trail but I'll give a quick explanation for anybody that's interested.

Trail is when the CB stays between the WR and QB.

Over is when the CB stays between the WR and the endzone (yes, this is an overly simplistic description).

Lewis often played an exaggerated trail in college which baited QBs to throw to that WR then Lewis would under-cut the throw giving him opportunities for INTs. In the NFL it requires a Safety over the top to that side of the field if the CB is playing a lot of trail (i.e. 2-deep Safety alignment or single-high FS does not give help to opposite side CB).

KR wants CBs to stay over WRs meaning they can play man without Safety help but may give up some underneath throws that wouldn't happen if playing trail. The CBs do play other coverages (zone, off man). Off-man is over type coverage by definition and zone always has somebody over.

The key to the KR base coverage for CBs is the kick-step press technique. It's somewhat opposite of what most CBs have played previous. KR and Richard Sherman refer the common press technique as Soft-Shoe press.

Lewis appeared to be slow to adopt the KR techniques in the preseason.

By the time that Lewis played extensively in 2018 (Awuzie missed game 6), he appeared to be playing much more of the KR style than he had in the preseason.

My opinion on the reasons Lewis was the 4th CB:
1. Slower to adopt the KR techniques.
2. Takes more risks than preferred by KR/RM.
3. Speed. (4.54 vs 4.33 for Brown)
4. Size (Brown has a small advantage here).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He reminds me of T-New.....will never lead the league in interceptions but top 5 CB otherwise. Like T-New, he rarely gives up six points. I'm guessing if we can get Coop signed prior 2020, Stephen may consider tagging Byron. From what I tell though, his stock in FO is a lot higher than many fans realize.

TNew was solid from day one it didn’t take him 4 years. He lacked ball skills and played not to get beat which is why he didn’t get many INT’s or give up many TDs. Jones has had one solid year and fell off at the end of it probably due to his hip. Despite 59 starts as a safety and corner over 4 years he’s only had two career INT’s that’s pathetic! His lack of ball skills and inability to create turnovers is the main reason he’s not a priority signing and may be allowed to walk when his contract is up.

cern

Reaction score
I like Byron and hope he remains a cowboy. he should only improve under the tutelage of Kris Richard. lost In this argument is the fact many picks are a result of a relentless pass rush. something at which the cowboys have been sorely lacking. if and when we can put more pressure on opposing qb's, the number of picks will increase proportionately.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Good conversation.

I had seen many posts that Lewis should be a starter and before studying them specifically in 2017/2018 game footage I personally had the feeling that Lewis was better than Brown; however, as I've detailed previously I just didn't see that in the extensive study of their game footage.

Lewis definitely has the Alpha mentality which is needed at CB. The All-or-Nothing episode when Dez tried to show him up and Lewis wouldn't back down was fantastic. When the team was in a big group at the end of practice to listen to Garrett, Dez was still pacing around mumbling to himself because of his frustration with Lewis. Having more self control, Lewis just took a knee in the team group like everybody else (except Dez).

Lewis was a rookie standing up to a star player on a 70M contract.

It does suck for Lewis personally that the Cowboys are deep at CB. Most other years he would easily be top 3 on the depth chart. I think back to the days of Nate Jones as a starting CB. Lewis would be the #1 CB in those years.

Lewis still has a chance to be top 3 on the depth chart in 2019. Kris Richard teaches a different type of press technique than most other teams/coaches and the overall techniques are different as well.

The KR CB techniques are basically the polar opposite of how Lewis played in college or in 2017. Lewis was slower to adopt these technique changes than the others. Byron Jones adapted more quickly than the others because it's similar to the style he played when covering TEs in 2017/2016.

More specifically, Lewis likes to play "under" and KR requires playing "over" or trail technique on the WR. You probably know over/trail but I'll give a quick explanation for anybody that's interested.

Trail is when the CB stays between the WR and QB.

Over is when the CB stays between the WR and the endzone (yes, this is an overly simplistic description).

Lewis often played an exaggerated trail in college which baited QBs to throw to that WR then Lewis would under-cut the throw giving him opportunities for INTs. In the NFL it requires a Safety over the top to that side of the field if the CB is playing a lot of trail (i.e. 2-deep Safety alignment or single-high FS does not give help to opposite side CB).

KR wants CBs to stay over WRs meaning they can play man without Safety help but may give up some underneath throws that wouldn't happen if playing trail. The CBs do play other coverages (zone, off man). Off-man is over type coverage by definition and zone always has somebody over.

The key to the KR base coverage for CBs is the kick-step press technique. It's somewhat opposite of what most CBs have played previous. KR and Richard Sherman refer the common press technique as Soft-Shoe press.

Lewis appeared to be slow to adopt the KR techniques in the preseason.

By the time that Lewis played extensively in 2018 (Awuzie missed game 6), he appeared to be playing much more of the KR style than he had in the preseason.

My opinion on the reasons Lewis was the 4th CB:
1. Slower to adopt the KR techniques.
2. Takes more risks than preferred by KR/RM.
3. Speed. (4.54 vs 4.33 for Brown)
4. Size (Brown has a small advantage here).
Lewis is better than chido. Chido and brown should be fighting for the starting nickel spot. Kris richard benched him for size only. He was already the 4th corner the first time they touched the field last year.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
It all boils down to what his asking price is going to be......................Jones is a very good player , just not worth top tier $'s (IMHO).........

JayFord

Reaction score
Tbh I gotta see Jones do it again this year

By no means am I sold on him

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lewis is better than chido. Chido and brown should be fighting for the starting nickel spot. Kris richard benched him for size only. He was already the 4th corner the first time they touched the field last year.
Thanks for the 1st grade analysis...