PFF: Dez has seen a reduction in catchable targets

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Dez went from a QB legend to scrubs. Obviously made a huge difference. But I agree with the release. Dez is injury prone and clearly mental.

DanA

Reaction score
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Clearly, Dak doesn't have Romo's understanding of the game and ability to make moves at the LOS, nor does he have the touch Romo's had with the back shoulder fade. To me that's almost fact, Romo was special in both those areas and they were skills crafted over the better part of a decade in the NFL.

But Dak has advantages over Romo too, durability the obvious one but there's a lot of stuff Dak can do on the field that Romo simply can't. For starters he's a better ball handler, I saw more guys bite on play action and fake handoffs in 2016 than I ever did with Romo. And while he wasn't hitting the back shoulder fade in the Red Zone, the RPO's and play action sure seemed to be effective. Our Red Zone efficiency was excellent in 2016 and good this year. But unlike 2014 it had nothing to do with Dez.

So I'm fully behind cutting Dez despite being a big fan of his. He's the wrong type of tool for Dak and unfortunately for Dez we've got to build the team around Dak now.

NotForLong

Reaction score
"Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics." - Mark Twain

These stats are all fine but they do not factor Dez's ability to actually get open, run the proper route, and run it with speed / precision. There is also the offensive play calling issue. That said when you watch the games Dez just doesn't get open. Throughout his career top corners have shut him down.
Maybe you missed it but there' this guy on YouTube called Akoye

NotForLong

Reaction score
Also does not take into account receivers running the wrong route, or the wrong depth on a route, or reading the coverage differently on an option route which leads to uncatchable balls.
Yes true but why are you implying that' what Dez was doing when the video clearly shows him running crisp routes and getting open

NotForLong

Reaction score
You guys want to discount the metric because it doesn't/can't cover all the variables. The metric is applied the same way, flawed as it may be, and shows a 10% deviation. That's a huge amount and is outside the range for margin of error so there's definitely something different happening.

All of the guys shown have the same QB for all years shown while Dez has two different QBs for the majority of the two periods of time shown. But let's all act like it's Dez that changed and fell off a cliff in his prime like most WRs do...
That' what Skip Bayless and everyone else on ESPN said. So it must be true

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lol. Excuses for Romo. No excuses for Cassel, like him having to come in to a new offense mid-season? You throwing Weeden into the mix when the two didn’t even play.

And, BTW, the concern about Romo coming back in the season wasn't about his performance, it was about the likelihood that he could break the collar bone again.

What is this context you speak of again?

This is comical.

So you bring up the struggles of Cassel having to come in and learn a new offense.

Okay!

You've made my point.

The QBs collectively struggled in 2015 for one legitimate reason or the other.

Here's the disconnect.

Despite the reasons you and I both outlined, the Dez Haterz still bizarrely bring up Dez's 2015 season in a vacuum, without context and act as if he should have been producing at a high level.

You can't have it both ways despite your best efforts.

NotForLong

Reaction score
The only ones that mean anything are ones that support your position.

Your drops stat can be questionable also by someone sticking to their position.
But why is "someone" sticking to thier position

What? Are there a bunch of ostriches here

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
There is also a stat that shows he was the bottom 10% in the league in beating man coverage. Another Stat that shows he led the league in drops. 2 People are to blame and it's Dak and Dez. But the 8 year vet making 12.5 mil should not be making the mistakes he was making.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Who cares about Dez Bryant? He is gone and never coming back. Time to move on.
Wow, do you still care about Aikman Enmity or Irvin? I mean they are gone and never coming back.

I still care for all of them including Dez he gave is heart and soul for this team. And I appreciated that

superonyx

Reaction score
But why is "someone" sticking to thier position

What? Are there a bunch of ostriches here
Human nature unfortunately.
People stick with their initial thought and are generally too insecure to be challenged and admit that maybe they were not right. They would rather choose sides and fight.

This is for everything in life, religion, politics, social positions ect.

superonyx

Reaction score
There is also a stat that shows he was the bottom 10% in the league in beating man coverage. Another Stat that shows he led the league in drops. 2 People are to blame and it's Dak and Dez. But the 8 year vet making 12.5 mil should not be making the mistakes he was making.
Please post this stat source. I’m interested.

Thanks

NotForLong

Reaction score
So a 12 million dollar WR needs a pro bowl QB to get him good “catchable” balls whatever that means

We don’t have one anymore so why did we have an expensive Ferrari if we couldn’t use him correctly?
No it' not a necessity to have a pro bowl QB get him. He had that. He just needed a QB that can throw accurately and see the field

NotForLong

Reaction score
With the naked eye last season, I could see at least a dozen or more throws that were off target. Question is, why? I think it was a combination of route running by Dez on some, and Dak misfiring on others.

For whatever reason, the Cowboys didn't think they would be able fix the issue, and moved on from Dez. I was hoping one more year, and they would get in sync. Oh well, it is what it is. He's gone now.
It wasn' about fixing an issue. The coaches ran him out of town

NotForLong

Reaction score
Cool. But in this offense and going forward we wont have a dynamic passer like Romo or his ilk...

Dak is who he is... He can win us a Super Bowl with the right pieces around him... I mean look at Russell Wilson and the seahawks. Similar starts to their career and Wilson didnt have a ferrari in Dez(laugh) and they still almost won back to back super bowls. What did they have? A legit oline, running game, a young secondary paired with a Dline that was opportunistic and hungry. Im sorry you have to potentially stop wearing your dez jersey but it is what it is

Yall stuck in this "triplets" revival need to simmer down...
He had a defense Nick named the Legion of Boom