PFF: Dez has seen a reduction in catchable targets

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Clearly, Dak doesn't have Romo's understanding of the game and ability to make moves at the LOS, nor does he have the touch Romo's had with the back shoulder fade. To me that's almost fact, Romo was special in both those areas and they were skills crafted over the better part of a decade in the NFL.

But Dak has advantages over Romo too, durability the obvious one but there's a lot of stuff Dak can do on the field that Romo simply can't. For starters he's a better ball handler, I saw more guys bite on play action and fake handoffs in 2016 than I ever did with Romo. And while he wasn't hitting the back shoulder fade in the Red Zone, the RPO's and play action sure seemed to be effective. Our Red Zone efficiency was excellent in 2016 and good this year. But unlike 2014 it had nothing to do with Dez.

So I'm fully behind cutting Dez despite being a big fan of his. He's the wrong type of tool for Dak and unfortunately for Dez we've got to build the team around Dak now.

Really good post here.

NotForLong

Reaction score
That's PFF for ya. They literally make up new statistical measures, arbitrarily assign values, throw some numbers into a cauldron, and see what comes out.
Oh ty so much for that explanation.

Based on what I saw with my own eyes and the stat they put up. I almost believed them.

But now listening to your spin. I am convinced Dez sucks, can' run routes drops any and all passes. I mean Dak has to literally pass the ball so far up his *** or he'll just drop it.

Yeah you are right God bless the Dak long live the Dak.

Ps do you think Akoye posted this stat for PFF. (Between you and me that guy Akoye really has an agenda. He' so intelligent and well spoken but he just hates Dak)

NotForLong

Reaction score

This has nothing to do with quarterback play or even if he was targeted on the play. Just the receiver vs man coverage and how successful he was on getting open.

Success rate does not equate to etting open with seperation..

Success involves receiving accurate passes

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Success rate does not equate to etting open with seperation..

Success involves receiving accurate passes
Wrong. Read the tweet, success has nothing to do with catching or receiving the ball or even being targeted. Success is beating the corner in man coverage aka getting open. Open the tweet and look at the responses by the author. Good effort.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Bryant's legacy is of a whiny cry baby ***** boy who won purely on athleticism and jump balls in the end zone. When his athleticism failed him he turned to garbage. I personally believe 80% of what Dez was in 2012-2014 was because Romo was so good not the other way around. Hell look how good Romo made Twill and Miles Austin look!

Dude's gone, Romo is gone, time to move on to the future.
Bryant's legacy is of a whiny cry baby ***** boy who won purely on athleticism and jump balls in the end zone. When his athleticism failed him he turned to garbage. I personally believe 80% of what Dez was in 2012-2014 was because Romo was so good not the other way around. Hell look how good Romo made Twill and Miles Austin look!

Dude's gone, Romo is gone, time to move on to the future.
His legacy is this :
NO MATTER HOW HARD AND GREAT HE WAS. THESE PHONY TALKING HEAD FANS NEVER APPRECIATED HIM

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
His legacy is this :
NO MATTER HOW HARD AND GREAT HE WAS. THESE PHONY TALKING HEAD FANS NEVER APPRECIATED HIM
I personally loved dez more than romo or witten. He had the competitive fire this team was lacking for years. At the end of the day he was one of the top paid wr's in the league that struggled to get open consistently and had too many mental errors.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Translation, the QB makes Dez.
No the QB is so terrible not even Dez can make him look good.
Ps or Beasley Williams Butler and Witten, none of them could make Dak look good

But don' worry Dak can still run and improvise ( for now. You know Scambling Qbs dont last long)

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No it' not a necessity to have a pro bowl QB get him. He had that. He just needed a QB that can throw accurately and see the field
If passes are catch-able to those who understand what a catch=able pass is and it goes off his hands that doesn't affect accuracy of a QB unless it's the Dak bash agenda we see here.

I don't understand why so many fans can't admit the entire offense struggled specifically last season including Dak and Dez.

It's like they still aren't over Romo.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Any PBU go as uncatchable, and any "throw away" close enough Dez goes as an uncatchable Dez target too. The only way it wouldn't is if there was no discernible target.
Funny thing is when you see Dak throw, especially to Beasley, they all look like throw a ways. Lol but he' actually trying to thread the needle lol

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

This has nothing to do with quarterback play or even if he was targeted on the play. Just the receiver vs man coverage and how successful he was on getting open.

Yeah, but how does that fit the Pro Dez agenda?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Funny thing is when you see Dak throw, especially to Beasley, they all look like throw a ways. Lol but he' actually trying to thread the needle lol
All look like throw aways? Please stop.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
This is comical.

So you bring up the struggles of Cassel having to come in and learn a new offense.

Okay!

You've made my point.

The QBs collectively struggled in 2015 for one legitimate reason or the other.

Here's the disconnect.

Despite the reasons you and I both outlined, the Dez Haterz still bizarrely bring up Dez's 2015 season in a vacuum, without context and act as if he should have been producing at a high level.

You can't have it both ways despite your best efforts.

You're not going to get an argument from me that the QB play wasn't that good. It wasn't. From Romo, to Weeden, to Cassel, to Moore. They all sucked that year. You're the one who wants to come up with an excuse for Romo. I'm simply providing an excuse for Cassel becasue it's easy to find excuses. Excuses are in abundance.

In addition to the QBs sucking, Dez also sucked. Dez gave poor effort, didn't catch balls he should have caught, that weren't classified as drops which make them not "catchable" by PFF standards. For example, the jump ball that clanked off the his hands against Carolina in the end zone or the ball that went entirely through his arms like he was a field goal post against Seattle. Those would be "uncatchable" but should have been caught by a caliber of WR Dez was being paid to be. Dez has also given poor effort in going for some of these "uncatchable" balls looking for flags instead of battling for the ball.

Both QB play AND Dez's play have declined. It's not one or the other, it's both.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Stop comparing him to Romo

Dak is just not accurate period

There is a video up on DC.com of every TD pass to Dez from Romo. You can watch throw after throw where Romo places on the correct shoulder or up on those fades that had disappeared under Dak. Watch him fit throws downfield on jumpballs to the correct shoulder at the right height so Dez could get it and the CB could not make a play of the ball.

Given that Romo and Dak played in the same scheme and were asked to do the same things the comparison is natural. There is value there.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You're not going to get an argument from me that the QB play wasn't that good. It wasn't. From Romo, to Weeden, to Cassel, to Moore. They all sucked that year. You're the one who wants to come up with an excuse for Romo. I'm simply providing an excuse for Cassel becasue it's easy to find excuses. Excuses are in abundance.

In addition to the QBs sucking, Dez also sucked. Dez gave poor effort, didn't catch balls he should have caught, that weren't classified as drops which make them not "catchable" by PFF standards. For example, the jump ball that clanked off the his hands against Carolina in the end zone or the ball that went entirely through his arms like he was a field goal post against Seattle. Those would be "uncatchable" but should have been caught by a caliber of WR Dez was being paid to be. Dez has also given poor effort in going for some of these "uncatchable" balls looking for flags instead of battling for the ball.

Both QB play AND Dez's play have declined. It's not one or the other, it's both.

You don't even know what the standards are so how can you make that claim comfortably? You certainly can make up convenient unprovable nassertions and wave your hands but that is not the same thing as verifiable facts.

And I really wish people would stop talking in terms of excuses as if the team is accountable to us in reality or that we are in a position to blame them for anything meaningful.

Nice anecdotes though.