PFF: DLaw projected new contract, 6 years, $126M, $60M guaranteed

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a totally great point if you ignore Taco Charlton and every other first-round DL who hasn't turned into Lawrence, and the fact that you can't expect even blue chip to have the same impact as Lawrence until at least year 2.

Unless you're trying to rebuild and not all in next year, you pay Lawrence.

No one's arguing that but don't say you can't replace him in the draft. You can and you eventually will. You can replace anyone in the draft. It's where they all come from.

Verdict

Reaction score
Both Smiths, by that view...are only good as well. Trade them off for picks as well. Start all over...hey, why not?

I'm not sure where you are going with this. No one is saying we don't want Tank. The question is how much is too much to pay him?

You try to resign him at a reasonable and fair rate, that makes sense for your team going forward. "Market rate" may not equal "reasonable value" or "a good contract for the team". That's the fly in the ointment.

Verdict

Reaction score
This is a totally great point if you ignore Taco Charlton and every other first-round DL who hasn't turned into Lawrence, and the fact that you can't expect even blue chip to have the same impact as Lawrence until at least year 2.

Unless you're trying to rebuild and not all in next year, you pay Lawrence.

You are acting like Tank is a first ballot hall of famer. I'm sorry, I like Tank but he's no where near the pedestal some of you are placing him on.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You are acting like Tank is a first ballot hall of famer. I'm sorry, I like Tank but he's no where near the pedestal some of you are placing him on.
Name 5 better Edge players

conner01

Reaction score
I put Lawrence in the category below Khalil Mack, Von Miller and Aaron Donald but above guys like Oliver Vernon and Chandler Jones.

I figure that puts him pretty much smack bang on 20m a season
And I think that’s exactly where he lands
5/100

conner01

Reaction score
I dont think Lawrence should be paid that kind of money because of the back issues. Its gonna be just like with Tyron Smith. They will get 3 good years and 3 below avg years. Dak doesnt need to be paid until the end of the 2019 season.
Waiting on smith below avg season

CCBoy

Reaction score
Last two years:

Sacks:
DLAW: 25
Miller: 25
Mack: 23

TFL:
DLAW: 29
Miller: 31
Mack: 23

QB Hits:
DLAW: 49
Miller: 49
Mack: 40

Forced Fumbles:
DLAW: 6
Miller: 6
Mack: 7

Elite.

I rest the case...here and now. A sidebar is not needed!

Verdict

Reaction score
Name 5 better Edge players

So you can disagree? I'm not going to draw up a list for busy work so you can say you disagree with the list. What's the point?

You think Tank is worth "whatever it takes" to sign him. I think you have to consider the cap considerations and draw a line somewhere. Reasonable people can debate where that line should be drawn and I am sure there is a lot of variance as to how high that should be.

You can't get all emotional about keeping a player. That's what got us the Dez contract which anyone with any objectivity regrets in hindsight. But many people saw that one coming.

Much like the Dez signing, I want to see Tank stay. I just don't want to see us pay him stupid money just because he is trying to hold us over a barrel.

Sign him at a reasonable deal, tag and trade him for a pick, or let him play under the franchise tag. It is idiotic to pay him a salary that is greater than his franchise tag would be this year.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think more like 5yr/100 mil

I think it will cost more than Hunter's contract to sign him. It's probably unreasonable to think he will accept those sort of numbers or we would have extended him last year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So you can disagree? I'm not going to draw up a list for busy work so you can say you disagree with the list. What's the point?

You think Tank is worth "whatever it takes" to sign him. I think you have to consider the cap considerations and draw a line somewhere. Reasonable people can debate where that line should be drawn and I am sure there is a lot of variance as to how high that should be.

You can't get all emotional about keeping a player. That's what got us the Dez contract which anyone with any objectivity regrets in hindsight. But many people saw that one coming.

Much like the Dez signing, I want to see Tank stay. I just don't want to see us pay him stupid money just because he is trying to hold us over a barrel.

Sign him at a reasonable deal, tag and trade him for a pick, or let him play under the franchise tag. It is idiotic to pay him a salary that is greater than his franchise tag would be this year.
You can't draw a list because it doesn't exist lol.

I didn't say whatever it takes, and I don't care about hte emotional appeal. The market value for Lawrence, based on % of cap, is ~$21m. It's fine to not want to pay a guy that, but there's no point in trying to diminish who he is as a player because of it.

His franchise tag this year would be $20.5m, it wouldn't save them anything.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I say it's OVER pay...no way he has shown to be even worth 1/3 that much. Where was he In our divisional game? Like a lot of games he was non exsistant. I for one think that number is way to high for a guy who isn't in the league of a Mack....

gmoney112

Reaction score
And I think that’s exactly where he lands
5/100

?

That's literally the exact same contract, except what you're thinking is probably even worse than what will actually happen lol

His contract will be like Mack's, guaranteed.

It will be a 4 year 80-85million deal basically, with another year or two where we can keep him - if we want him.

Even Khalil Mack in his 6year 140million contract can be cut after 4 years.

NFL contracts deal with guaranteed money, salaries, roster bonuses, signing bonuses. They will always have opt out years to hedge risk for the team while giving room to maneuver against the salary cap.

Saying "5/100" or "6/120" doesn't mean much. If someone who knows current NFL contract structure sees that, they probably think you're basically talking about the same thing, but they'd probably want the extra year just for accounting.

The chances of Lawrence seeing year 6 are slim. Seeing year 5 is even 50/50

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That projection is just a guesstimate by PFF and certainly doesn't mean anything more or less will be dealt. A 6-year deal seems risky to me, in view of DL's history of injury and suspensions. In any event, it's the Jones' money to do with as they see fit, whatever they might decide upon.

erod

Reaction score
Back and shoulder issues....

That's a lot of money for a guy who's dinged up.

Franchise tag, or a much more reasonable deal.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Where did we get Lawrence?

The draft?

Oh.

I guess you have to spell it out for everyone so they don't come back with you with silly comments.

So you plan on replacing Tank in the draft THIS year without a 1st round pick - good luck! How many years before Tank was this good?

Verdict

Reaction score
You can't draw a list because it doesn't exist lol.

I didn't say whatever it takes, and I don't care about hte emotional appeal. The market value for Lawrence, based on % of cap, is ~$21m. It's fine to not want to pay a guy that, but there's no point in trying to diminish who he is as a player because of it.

His franchise tag this year would be $20.5m, it wouldn't save them anything.

He's a good player, but I personally think you are overvaluing him. That's ok, but it doesn't make you right and me wrong or vice versa. It's all a matter of opinion.

And I'm not playing your name the player game. It's pointless because I already know we aren't going to agree.

I said the same thing about Dez at the time. I said there was an argument to be made that he wasn't top 5 and many people were butt hurt over it, which is also fine.

The risk of signing players to huge contracts is significant. Unless you think he is going to be Mack/Donald good next year $20 M per year is way too high.

Verdict

Reaction score
?

That's literally the exact same contract, except what you're thinking is probably even worse than what will actually happen lol

His contract will be like Mack's, guaranteed.

It will be a 4 year 80-85million deal basically, with another year or two where we can keep him - if we want him.

Even Khalil Mack in his 6year 140million contract can be cut after 4 years.

NFL contracts deal with guaranteed money, salaries, roster bonuses, signing bonuses. They will always have opt out years to hedge risk for the team while giving room to maneuver against the salary cap.

Saying "5/100" or "6/120" doesn't mean much. If someone who knows current NFL contract structure sees that, they probably think you're basically talking about the same thing, but they'd probably want the extra year just for accounting.

The chances of Lawrence seeing year 6 are slim. Seeing year 5 is even 50/50

Yes and that's part of the problem with these contracts. When the players career gets cut short and the SB gets accelerated then it turns out the player made $25 M per year instead of $20M.

I think at some point teams will start paying players with very small SB and larger salaries in year one rather than kicking the can on down the road. Thank goodness we didn't restructure Dez salary early in his contract.