PFF grades Roster

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Was listening to the fan (105.3 Dallas area)this afternoon and according to PFF the boys roster ranks 6th in the league
1. Baltimore
2. New Orleans
3. San Fran
4.KC
5. TB

the cowboys had 7 what were called blue chippers and here is the order they ranked them. Sorry don’t have the link or the actual numbers. Maybe someone can find them
1. Zach Martin
2. DLaw
3. Collins
4. Amari
5.Dak
6. Pollard
7. Zeke
The scores reflect how effective they are on the plays they are in so Pollards score could very well go down if he had more plays but as it was he ranked ahead of Zeke but only barely.

interesting! wish I could find the link
Rate stats (per-play stats) are very useful and have their place, but calling players "blue-chippers" based on per-play numbers and ignoring total playing time is really goofy.

I do wonder where Tyron sits, though.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the premise when it comes to our team is we are loaded with really good talent on offense, more than most. So we should expect really high offensive output and we've had that. Problem is it hasn't been good enough to over come the deficiencies we've also had on defense.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Was listening to the fan (105.3 Dallas area)this afternoon and according to PFF the boys roster ranks 6th in the league
1. Baltimore
2. New Orleans
3. San Fran
4.KC
5. TB

the cowboys had 7 what were called blue chippers and here is the order they ranked them. Sorry don’t have the link or the actual numbers. Maybe someone can find them
1. Zach Martin
2. DLaw
3. Collins
4. Amari
5.Dak
6. Pollard
7. Zeke
The scores reflect how effective they are on the plays they are in so Pollards score could very well go down if he had more plays but as it was he ranked ahead of Zeke but only barely.

interesting! wish I could find the link
That's why we went 8-8 tho. Out of those 7 players only one is on the defensive side of the ball. And most of the players on defense last year were below average according to pff.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That's why we went 8-8 tho. Out of those 7 players only one is on the defensive side of the ball. And most of the players on defense last year were below average according to pff.

Not to mention the abhorrent coaching that was the equivalent of strapping an anchor around the necks of our most talented players.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if PFF knows that Tom Brady will be 43 when the season starts. 43 and no sign of Big Bill. Gronk was great but it’s been a year and he was prone to injury before. I predict TB is going to disappoint a lot of people.
Tom Brady is about to get a hard knock on the door from Father Time. He was getting a gentle knock last year late in the season, as it was obvious he had lost his fastball on many throws. He’s the GOAT, so I’m not here to disrespect him. But most all time greats never know when it’s time to give it up.

Even Michael Jordan overstayed his ability by playing for Washington Wizards after he had left the bulls. Joe Namath, Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw are just a few HOFers who didn’t know it was time to hang it up. Sadly, Tom Brady’s great career is likely going to end with a dud. He should have retired at 41after his last SB win. It’s the best way to go out- on top and on your own terms.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Tom Brady is about to get a hard knock on the door from Father Time. He was getting a gentle knock last year late in the season, as it was obvious he had lost his fastball on many throws. He’s the GOAT, so I’m not here to disrespect him. But most all time greats never know when it’s time to give it up.

Even Michael Jordan overstayed his ability by playing for Washington Wizards after he had left the bulls. Joe Namath, Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw are just a few HOFers who didn’t know it was time to hang it up. Sadly, Tom Brady’s great career is likely going to end with a dud. He should have retired at 41after his last SB win. It’s the best way to go out- on top and on your own terms.

Exactly. Personally I think the greatness of Bill Belichick gets overlooked. How many players and coaches appear pedestrian after leaving NE? Brady is no doubt a great, great player but he will not get the same protection in Tampa and his body will not hold up. There has never been a player in NFL history that starred at 43.

75boyz

Reaction score

Possibly. Or perhaps he and Arians can squeeze out the remaining last greatness with the likes of spreading the ball to Evans, Godwin, Gronk, Brate, Howard, and various RBs.

For me personally, I'll stick with the he was lacking a weapon or 2 to be fully effective while in Boston last year theory.

Arians plays a risky downfield offense requiring definite arm strength so it will definitely be on display for all to judge.

Should be fun.

starfan1

Reaction score
Rate stats (per-play stats) are very useful and have their place, but calling players "blue-chippers" based on per-play numbers and ignoring total playing time is really goofy.

I do wonder where Tyron sits, though.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-101-players-from-the-2019-nfl-season he didnt make this list. I think when i heard them talking and i got no link is that he was just under what they deemed blue chipper. I cant remember what that number was and blue chipper is how the fan stated it.Not sure if PFF did

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Would be nice if our roster was actually this good. Many thought the same last season, but we now know it wasn't true.

LOL at Pollard! I like the kid but pffff..........

This is extremely shallow thinking. In your eyes, record in any given season correlates 100% with roster strength? The Jets finished 7-9. The Cowboys finished 8-8. In your view, that would tell you their rosters are very close in terms of strength?

Football is a small sample size game. Entire seasons can come down to single breaks in either direction as we saw last season. Would be incredibly foolish to think this roster isn't strong because of a very unusually poor record in tight games that has been proven to be something that almost always reverts back to normal in the following season.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Not to mention the abhorrent coaching that was the equivalent of strapping an anchor around the necks of our most talented players.
Especially D law. Marinelli barely played him and let him come out so much. Lets put it this way JJ Watt came back from a pec tear and played more % of snaps than D law did all season. It was disgraceful.

75boyz

Reaction score
This is extremely shallow thinking. In your eyes, record in any given season correlates 100% with roster strength? The Jets finished 7-9. The Cowboys finished 8-8. In your view, that would tell you their rosters are very close in terms of strength?

Football is a small sample size game. Entire seasons can come down to single breaks in either direction as we saw last season. Would be incredibly foolish to think this roster isn't strong because of a very unusually poor record in tight games that has been proven to be something that almost always reverts back to normal in the following season.

The problem is the large sample size of the last 25 years worth of games show the normal that the Cowboys have reverted to is overall pretty close to mediocre. Including playoffs since 1996, the w/l record is 202-192..

A huge and telling sample size that says the team will revert to somewhere close to 8-8, no better, no worse.

Doesn't seem to matter what the roster strength is. Or any other variable for that matter.

Hence, the 8-8 team joke punchline.

Because it's true.

Last edited:

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score

There were games last season where the Cowboys were absolutely manhandled at the line of scrimmage. Going into last season, most pundits judged the roster to be one of the best in the league. They were wrong. That team was in no way a Superbowl contender- and I don't care who the coach was.

Everyone has an opinion before a season starts as to which teams have the most talent- but at the end of the season it's no longer a matter of opinion.

You'll need to climb out of the kiddie pool before making any proclamations about "shallow thinking".

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
P
those are 2020 projections as TB scores are with Brady and Gronk on team. And coaching matters but you’re right players need to execute as well.

you can have the top roster in the league but if your coaching sucks and you’re best players fail you get 8-8

Players don’t execute because the coaching sucks.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The one thing I can never truly quite understand is this same coach won Coach of the Year and 13 games with a 4th rd rookie HOF QB and yet that same coach, with the same QB doesn't quite reach that level of wins as this same QB who supposedly has mproved every year over the next 4 years.
So...

Did the Coach forget how to coach because supposedly the HOF QB improved every year and surely could win a few games 'despite' the Coach of the Year job done by the coach and performance by the QB during his rookie season. I mean right?

Didn't the QB win all those games despite the poor coaching?

OR did the team win all those games?

Or if they lost it was a team loss and if they won it was because of the QB?

What if the QB had poor stats but the team won?

What if the QB had good stats against poor teams and poor stats against good teams?

So when this supposedly legitimate Savior new coach fails with this same QB as previous coach, Is the new old response back to its a "team" loss because it cant be the coaching anymore, I mean right? Or do they just fire and hire another coach like the offensive coordinator maybe.

Just exactly where are the goal posts and today's narrative. It keeps getting harder to keep up.

One thing IS for certain, there Is no way in you know where that it will ever, ever, ever be the QBs fault around here.

A trick he probably learned from the owner.

Too funny. :)

Garrett failed for the last decade with both romo and dak. Explain that.

DanA

Reaction score
There were games last season where the Cowboys were absolutely manhandled at the line of scrimmage. Going into last season, most pundits judged the roster to be one of the best in the league. They were wrong. That team was in no way a Superbowl contender- and I don't care who the coach was.

Everyone has an opinion before a season starts as to which teams have the most talent- but at the end of the season it's no longer a matter of opinion.

You'll need to climb out of the kiddie pool before making any proclamations about "shallow thinking".

This runs on the assumption that talent is fully utilized, there is no luck, and coaching doesn’t matter. Call it twisted logic or shallow thinking but either way it’s a bad assumption.

starfan1

Reaction score
P

Players don’t execute because the coaching sucks.
Yes but it’s not mutually exclusive. I believe chido and his issues are coaching related. I’m a Dak fan but when misses a crossing route or zeke and Witten does a costly fumble that’s player execution. Or a crucial drop.