PFF has Conner Williams ranked 16th

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly dont think the guy has had one good year yet. His first year was one of the worst I have ever seen. 2nd year was better, but only because it wasnt as bad as the first. Not to mention he got injured half way through. Last year was his first "solid" season. So now he probably has a good year and gets a big contract and is gone.

Very likely, yes. And that’s definitely what Hanson’s article mentioned. That he would end up getting around $12 million a year and be well out of Dallas’ price range. I definitely see that coming.

If that happens, we’re looking at a solid comp pick in 2023.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So you are suggesting that we play McGovern over Williams even though we have no clue if he is better just so we don't have to draft a guard next year? I prefer to play whoever wins the competition in camp. if that's williams, so be it. McGovern will get his shot next year after Williams moves on or we'll draft somebody.

I don't see anywhere that I suggested that. If Williams is the better player, he should start. if McGovern is better, McGovern should start. If it's a coin toss, McGovern should start because we need to see if he can hold down the spot for a couple of years.

The staff doesn't need to approach it as if Williams is the starter unless McGoven knocks him off. They need to approach it as if McGovern will be the starter unless Williams is clearly better. Our team has had a tendency to stick with the veteran, and I don't disagree that it is the backup's job to beat him out, but he needs to be given every opportunity to do that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Very likely, yes. And that’s definitely what Hanson’s article mentioned. That he would end up getting around $12 million a year and be well out of Dallas’ price range. I definitely see that coming.

If that happens, we’re looking at a solid comp pick in 2023.

That would be perfect. Take the Comp pick and have Mcgovern jump right in.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
We don’t need 5 all pro #1 draft pics across the line to be successful. Health and Scheme… Coach dem up!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah he's probably better than we give him credit for but I have a very high standard for a starting offensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys and he doesn't measure up to it.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
It was hard to notice since the rest of the line was a mess, but Connor Williams was really effective last year.

Not saying he's anywhere near Zack Martin's level, but he was a consistent performer and somebody is going to pay him well after the 2021 season. We need to get his first season or two out of our heads and admit that Williams, like most NFL players, improved with time on the field and in the weightroom.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So does this mean he is a top 10 left guard in the NFL?
9DB7.gif
Obviously we are underlying him.Nice work Stephen.

Turk

Reaction score
He did not stink as bad as our tackles did most of the year. Not exactly a ringing endorsement; some would call it damning with faint praise.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
He is the smallest OL, so there is a mental hangup for some to accept his good play.

And if us fans are bothered by our smallest OL going against the defenses biggest DL...then how many players or coaches are bothered by it?

He causes mental problems. He has to go. Sorry!
:flagwave:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
PFF has Conner Williams ranked 16th best Guard. Each team has 2 starting Guards. So if we take out Martin then there are only 15 guards rated higher. He might not be so bad. He is a FA next year I think

Williams came into the league young switching from the edge to the interior, where power is at a premium. Tough row to hoe for a rookie. Strong season last year on an oline of rookies. People dogging him are still hanging onto resentment from years past. He had a good year. Probably will again.

None of our oline studs made a pro bowl until they were 23. Williams was 23 last year. He's a quality player entering his prime years.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He’s not as bad as some here think
He’s a solid starter
Those are the types you don’t give second contracts to
You extend elite players and draft replacement for the rest
I like Williams more than most here but I think MCGovern can be just as good for less money and then when MCGovern comes up to get paid you replace him with another drafted young player
That how you afford to keep the Martin type players by churning the others till you end up with another elite guy
Those who think he’s a terrible player probably don’t watch other guards in this league play
He’s a solid player and if a team has a handful of elite and the rest solid they have a good roster
We like to extend good players, not elite.

ghst187

Reaction score
PFF has Conner Williams ranked 16th best Guard. Each team has 2 starting Guards. So if we take out Martin then there are only 15 guards rated higher. He might not be so bad. He is a FA next year I think

Are you sure it’s not 16th out of the OL just on our roster?

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
My problem with PFF is that it only became a thing because Cris Collinsworth owns it and thus it became part of NBC coverage, both on it's broadcasts and it's websites.

I'm not aware that it's analysis has ever been vetted for accuracy in anything i've ever read, it's just become popular for that reason alone.

If anyone could post a link showing that PFF has now become acknolwedged by football scouts as a real tool i'd be interested in reading it.

fansince68

Reaction score
It was hard to notice since the rest of the line was a mess, but Connor Williams was really effective last year.

Not saying he's anywhere near Zack Martin's level, but he was a consistent performer and somebody is going to pay him well after the 2021 season. We need to get his first season or two out of our heads and admit that Williams, like most NFL players, improved with time on the field and in the weightroom.

Most of our busted plays came off both ends, the 2nd most came from the left guard position. Not to mention 3rd or 4th and short seems to always fail behind left guard even when teams were stacked to stop us behind right guard. PFF must have jersey numbers confused to give CW such a high ranking.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
PFF.. Yuck.

Conner Williams is good at catch blocking.. When he gets a hold of a guy he can’t do nothing with them.

So I’m sure he will grade well because he’ll always be positioned well and does a nice job getting to the 2nd level.

I just prefer a Ron Leary type at guard because I want someone that can actually move people out of the way and not just leverage a guy and get little movement.

So unless this guy gets significantly stronger I think he’ll just continue to be ok regardless of what his stupid PFF score has to say.
Right on queue with the negativity. Don’t you ever get tired of being Queen Debbie Downer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Something else I credit him for. He’s given his all for the team and done everything that’s been asked of him from day one. He was an offensive tackle that the team shifted to guard. And I don’t remember hearing a single complaint from him about the move

Through struggles and injuries, he’s given his best. And he’s admirably represented the organization both on and off the field.

That counts for a lot too.