PFF has Conner Williams ranked 16th

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
PFF is very confusing. They do some really good work on some things and seem to really miss the boat on others. He is a long way from being the 16th best Guard.
He is an OK Guard. The kind you should view as a low end starter, upgradeable at your earliest convenience.
Problem is his flaw\weakness is one most every team can take advantage of. He lacks brute strength to hold his ground even when his technique is good. Slightly out of position and he's beaten quickly or commits the penalty. When a team really needs to get pressure, they go after him.
McGovern was anchoring and holding his ground pretty well last year. So, Williams may be the 3rd best guard on this team. If that's the case, use him as swing tackle & jumbo packages where his movement skills could make him an effective lead blocker.
I agree. And if he’s the 16th best guard it most be some shotty guard play in the league now....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In my opinion Connor Williams has always been playing out of position. I think he has the feet and athleticism to play LT, which he also played in college. He lacks the strength to play inside at G. I really wish they would try him as the Swing Tackle.

I think that ship has sailed. He will never be a swing tackle, at this point. He can start in the NFL at Guard. He might be able to start at tackle. Why would he be a swing tackle? Less playing time and less money if he does that. I don't think that's something he will do and I'm fairly certain that other teams would offer him starting money to leave the Cowboys to start somewhere else.

JMO

DominantD

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if someone already said the following. If he is top 16 for all Guards, then it means he is top 8 for Left Guards (upper 25% at his position). I'm trying to process whether I believe he could be top 8.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He did not stink as bad as our tackles did most of the year. Not exactly a ringing endorsement; some would call it damning with faint praise.

Some would call it inaccurate. He didn't have a poor season last year, not even average. He was better then that. I mean, I get it. Fans, for whatever reason, aren't going to like this guy. I think we are spoiled. We hold every LG to a Larry Allen type standard. Not fair, not even smart but that's what we do so he will never measure up. But somebody will sign him and a team like Denver, could make him a Pro Bowl type player. Scheme fit makes all the difference.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think we all realize PFF has a curious grading system.

I happen to like McGovern more, but may the best and win the job.

Regardless, it makes little sense to offer Williams a second deal, no matter what type of season he has.

Only question in my mind is if you try to deal him now for maybe a 3rd or 4th......but the comp pick would likely be about the same, so I'd probably lean toward keeping the depth for 2021.

Injuries of course usually complicate these things.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think some Cowboy hater at PFF is trying to set us up for a big contract extension........ hoping Jerry is like, damm we better extend that guy fast before he demands more money!o_O

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The problem with Williams is that when he's physically overmatched, he looks really bad.

But he's a solid guard overall.
Bingo. Williams is really good more often than not, but his biggest weakness is glaring and shows up on tape in the worst way. Very easy for people to take a handful of plays where he gets knocked back and come to a conclusion on CW. Dig deeper into the tape and people will see that CW was the strong point of our OL last year outside of Martin.

the PFF ranking feels high to me, but CW seems to be a league average G.

kskboys

Reaction score
PFF has Conner Williams ranked 16th best Guard. Each team has 2 starting Guards. So if we take out Martin then there are only 15 guards rated higher. He might not be so bad. He is a FA next year I think
Connor quietly had a decent season last year.

I cannot fathom how so many people don't understand that players can progress and get better as they acclimate.

kskboys

Reaction score
Huh? This makes absolutely no sense. If you don't give someone like Williams a second contract, they hit FA and get it elsewhere - if teams had your mindset, Williams' type players would never leave FA lol

You certainly DO resign players like Williams - if this ranking is accurate, not saying it is, that makes him a pretty good guard and "pretty good guards" are not exactly the easiest to come by. You resign good players if they ask for a reasonable contract and you let them walk if you think you can upgrade or if they ask beyond their worth. Simple.
Spot on. No, you don't sign him if he wants a king's ransom, but if he's reasonable, you absolutely keep him.