Twitter: PFF: La'el Collins is currently the best RT in the league

Lutonio

Reaction score
Well without him being significantly bigger and stronger than me, he would be average and I would beat him up.

But here we are.

"Dak would be average if he weren't average."

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I'm happy to hear this because I'm ashamed to admit that Lael Collins is one guy that this forum talked me into thinking was bad.

I dont rewatch games like I used to and it's hard to enjoy watching the same lineman every play just so I can accurately grade him on an internet message board.

Sometimes even I forget that this board is typically 10 to 100 times more critical of a player than is necessary.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I mean, I can't say who got the first offer in but he wasn't short on offers. He may have gotten one from every team.

Don't know why Jerry should deserve any praise whatsoever for that. Collins wanted to be a Cowboy.

If I recall correctly, Jerry sweetened the offer. Cuz I think the Saints or Dolphins were heavy on trying to get him, and Jerry made Collins an offer he couldn't refuse.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Jerry sweetened the offer. Cuz I think the Saints or Dolphins were heavy on trying to get him, and Jerry made Collins an offer he couldn't refuse.

It was college recruiting season in the NFL and Jerry went above and beyond in every conceivable way with luxury treatment, a friendly contract, and longterm assurances.

Jerry did not do anything that 31 other owners could not do. However, 31 other owners didnt do it, and Jerry did. He deserves some credit for making Collins' choice easy.

Jbone100

Reaction score
Collins has been very good but the real test will be Cameron Jordan. If he plays him to a draw Sunday night then yes, he’s the best RT in football right now.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I mean, I can't say who got the first offer in but he wasn't short on offers. He may have gotten one from every team.

Don't know why Jerry should deserve any praise whatsoever for that. Collins wanted to be a Cowboy.

La'el had a bunch of teammates from LSU on the Bucs I believe. (one of the Florida teams for sure) He was scheduled to fly there and possibly sign. Jerry invited him and his mother (Switzer told Jerry that the mother was his best bet) over for dinner along with all the Cowboys starters except Ronald Leary. That is what sold La'el and his mother. He never made the flight to Florida.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't remember that part, TBH. I just remember he wasn't drafted because teams were worried they'd have a convict instead of an offensive lineman.
This was before that happened, this was when prospects were being graded and mocks put together. Most, by quite a large margin, had him plugged in as a G which often happens to OL unless they're a stand out LT. They did the same with Williams, he was an OT at UT but slated to be a G.

Give Booger the credit, there is no GM more watchful of a draft bargain than he is and he seldom sees a risk he's not willing to take. Collins wasn't a risk because he hadn't done anything but his agent did the smart thing and pulled him to keep his options open. He probably got more money as a FA from Booger than he would have at the point where he got drafted. He was and is a legit 1st rounder.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This was before that happened, this was when prospects were being graded and mocks put together. Most, by quite a large margin, had him plugged in as a G which often happens to OL unless they're a stand out LT. They did the same with Williams, he was an OT at UT but slated to be a G.

Give Booger the credit, there is no GM more watchful of a draft bargain than he is and he seldom sees a risk he's not willing to take. Collins wasn't a risk because he hadn't done anything but his agent did the smart thing and pulled him to keep his options open. He probably got more money as a FA from Booger than he would have at the point where he got drafted. He was and is a legit 1st rounder.

Jerry got him quite a bit back but Brandon Scherff (pick 5) is getting close to 34 million from 2015 to 2019. La'el Collins is getting close to 21 million in that 5 year span.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-Commanders/brandon-scherff-16729/cash-earnings/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/lael-collins-17403/cash-earnings/

Now Andrus Peat (pick 13) has 21 million over that span as well.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Jerry forced Collins on his plane got drunk put a unloaded revolver to his head pulled the trigger urinated himself and had a card n cake for Collins if he signed.