PFF Ranks Top 5 Safety Combos; Cowboys Come In At 5th

Sydla

Reaction score
The first thought that came to my mind was that there must be alot of really bad safety combos out there.

LOL, pretty true. I mean just look at the S combos in this division. Skins have Collins and signed Sean Davis for FS, but is that a great combo? The Giants? Ewwww. The Eagles let Jenkins walk and will try to convert Jalen Mills, a mediocre CB, to a starting S opposite Macleod, who is just a decent safety, at best.

There really don't seem to be a lot of great S combos out there. Minnesota has Smith and Harris is very good and we definitely pale in comparison to that group.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm not saying I agree with their assessment. I'm just clarifying that they weren't using those numbers to describe last year's safeties.
Understood.

It's a prediction.

Not a valid fact.

Still...

I hope it does improve with some needed attention.

I mean we drafted Byron Jones as a safety and assumed he would solidify both safety positions and make the defense better in doing so.

Far from it. He nearly got cut before Richard arrived and moved him to corner. Claiborne and Carr before him were busts at CB, too.

So I hope for us to repair the breakdowns but it's just a nagging issue.

Qcard

Reaction score
5. HA HA CLINTON-DIX & XAVIER WOODS, DALLAS COWBOYS

“Both Clinton-Dix and Woods have earned top-20 coverage grades over the last two seasons, combining for a total of 34 turnovers during their brief NFL careers.

Both safeties have proven to be more than efficient when featured in a man-coverage scheme. Over the last two years, Clinton-Dix has the second-highest man-coverage grade (87.8) among the 31 qualifying safeties over that period, while Woods (70.2) ranks 17th. Together, they’ve allowed only 19 receptions from 31 targets in man coverage, giving up only 151 yards and a touchdown while coming away with six combined interceptions.

Clinton-Dix’s recent production has been somewhat overshadowed by his frequent moves and the lack of a long-term contract. But with a second-ranked man coverage grade (88.6) while aligned in the box and a 10th-ranked run-defense grade (79.7) when aligned as a slot-defender, Clinton-Dix has proved to be as versatile as any safety in the game.”

Here’s the fill BTB article, personally (though I wouldn’t say top 5), this should be one of the better S combos we’ve had in some time. Schematically are aren’t using a traditional SS so take that into account as well.

The bolded part is why some of y’all aren’t too excited about the pickup. But on the field, Haha is miles ahead of what we had in Heath.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pla...he-cowboys-already-have-a-top-5-safety-tandem
I want to buy in but sooner later these guys will have to play the run.
RBs this era love contact, hence short careers and less $$ but that is the style. Dl