PFF suggest trading Gallup to Dolphins for 2021 3rd and 4th

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
When are the Cowboys active? When have they ever signed someone that would effect their draft picks? I want three great receivers. If Gallup walks oh well. I’m not going to be up in arms about losing potential draft capital for him. I’m in win now mode.
The obvious point is that Gallup as the 3rd wr is worth less than a 3rd right now. And you're not likely to get a 3rd if you lose him as compensation because he'd have to sign among the biggest free agent deals in the market when he walked. And again that means you do virtually nothing as well. If he signs modest starter deal somewhere else and we sign a modest free agent hes gone for "free."

How likely is that?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I think it'd be smart, yeah. I feel like we could get a second, though. Or a decent young defender instead of a pick.

I like Gallup a lot and him and Dak have a good chemistry. But this is a business, and the team needs as much help on D as possible.
We should be able to get a 1st & 3rd at least for Gallup.

mardwin

Reaction score
We can get either a 2nd or two 3rd round picks. The Ravens are desperate for a legitimate receiver for Lamar Jackson, a true front-office would exploit that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think a more likely scenario is we release Cooper after this season when there’s a potential out (only $6M against the cap and more than $60M in savings through 2025). We could probably resign/extend Gallup to a less expensive contract comparatively and rock with Lamb and Gallup as our lead receivers moving forward.
I think Cooper will likely redo his contract for more guaranteed money. If thats the case he mat actually be cheaper per year than Gallup

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't want a ton more picks in this draft.

I dont think its all that great.
I think you are on to something here. We have alot of picks in this draft, and its a very average draft. If you trade Gallup, you probably get better value trading him for a 2022 pick. You may get a 2022 1st, which is equivalent in trade value to a 2021 2nd

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just curious what's Mike's value on the open market.....was wondering if we let him play out the final year and use the transitional tag on him in 2022. As noted below, Overthecap is projecting a $14M 2021 transitional tag for WR. I know 2022 with be slightly higher but is he worth this much to us as 2nd WR?

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders
Ive seen a few places that expect a couple WR's to pass Cooper in AAV like Galloday and Goodwin. Robinson and Fuller should be up there as well

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Or we can compete with him in 2021 and if he doesn’t get signed we get at least a 4th

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is beyond stupid IMO. First of all, I would not trade him this upcoming season. That would require us addressing another FA acquisition or dedicating a pick to a WR who could impact. That's just stupid IMO. Secondly, you don't know how the Dak Prescott thing will work out so, for the sake of discussion, you might end up seeing Dak walk. If that happens, how smart would it be to basically get rid of Gallup, a player who would only make it easier on the incoming replacement and would have a contract that is affordable? This is typical offseason crap. Things to consider:

Blake Jarwin wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire, in terms of production when he went out. He was OK, not All Pro.

What happens to WRs in their Soph season? A lot of them see a drop off in production. Why is that? Because teams now have tape on them. So what happens if we trade Gallup and see a drop off from Lamb?

What happens to CD when you take away a deep threat WR like Gallup in our offense? Coverages somehow shorten up and there is less room in the short to intermediate areas to work with. What happens to Cooper for that matter? That Safety plays closer in, he suddenly doesn't worry as much about having to keep depth. LBs start playing closer to the LOS. Your Offense becomes less productive and your QB suddenly sees more pressures, more blitz, takes more hits.

What happens to the running game if your passing game is suddenly compromised? Yep, same deal, less room to work with, less room to run, more hits close to the LOS.

What happens if, by chance, you sustain an injury to either Cooper or Lamb and you've moved Gallup? The Offense pretty much dies on the vine.

Lastly, are you gonna change your offense and suddenly run more 12 personnel? Are you gonna go out and just sign another WR to keep your 11 personnel grouping intact and if you do that, what is that guy gonna cost you? What impact will that cause the cap?

Gallups total cap this year is 1.142 mil. Where are you gonna find a guy who is even able to come in and be a decent backup that you could sign for that? Never mind a guy who can be your starter.

That entire PFF piece is flat stupid IMO.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
I think it'd be smart, yeah. I feel like we could get a second, though. Or a decent young defender instead of a pick.

I like Gallup a lot and him and Dak have a good chemistry. But this is a business, and the team needs as much help on D as possible.

I like Gallup too, but hes a luxury at this point. The Chest catcher can be replaced.

ghst187

Reaction score
I don’t WANT to trade Gallup but if we traded for Russell Wilson we might need to in order to recoup some picks for defense. And Russ will be fine with Amari and Ceedee.