PFF - Zeke is not a top 25 player under 25 years of age

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Risen Star, May 16, 2019 at 7:38 PM.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

52,990 Messages
    83,832 Likes Received
    More proof that PFF and all the poindexters who try to covert football into a mathematical formula are complete trash.

-

Ezekiel Elliott is not one of the NFL’s top players under 25-years old, allow that sink in for a moment. The reigning rushing champion isn’t good enough to be on a list that includes top players in the league under 25-years old.

Now realize this isn’t a fact, just an opinion of Pro Football Focus who put out their annual top 25 players under 25 years of age at the start of the upcoming season. Elliott did not make the list, but he did manage to make the “just missed” portion.

Mark Chichester and PFF cited their reasoning:

“There’s no doubt that Ezekiel Elliott is one of the top players at his position, but it’s hard to overlook the fact that his production is, in large part, thanks to the offense that Dallas has built around him. Over the last three years, Elliott ranks first in rushing attempts (868), rushing yards (4048), rushing yards after contact (2567) and first down conversions (219). However, his three-year rushing grade of 80.2 ranks ninth among the 36 backs with at least 300 attempts in that span, while his 0.119 missed tackles forced per attempt ranks tied for 27th among the same group.”

Elliott gets dinged for having the offense flow through him, a preposterous line of thinking. Downgrading a player that is so good that the team builds around him is silly. Punishing him for still leading the league when the opposition clearly focuses their defensive game plan around stopping him is absurd.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...llas-cowboys-top-25-under-25-2019-nfl-season/

2. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

9,188 Messages
    13,749 Likes Received
    I usually ignore threads dealing with PFF but since you posted it I suffered through the article .

3. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

10,266 Messages
    11,790 Likes Received
    dumb.
    even Ray Charles can see he is.
    analytics is dumb.

4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

52,990 Messages
    83,832 Likes Received
    I consider you one of my closest friends.

5. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

7,670 Messages
    15,472 Likes Received
    I don’t know how PFF can even try to justify that ranking. If you do your “analytics” and Zeke isn’t a top 5 RB (at worst) based on those analytics, you need to re-evaluate your process.

6. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

17,762 Messages
    29,758 Likes Received
    He better like that post, or you're going to be...
    More pathetic?

7. Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King Well-Known Member

4,448 Messages
    5,314 Likes Received
    I pay for PFF and they usually have good analytics when it comes to every other position other than RB. For whatever reason they dont emphasize blocking, or yards after contact but have an infatuation with making tacklers miss. So Zeke who grinds and turns a 1 yard gain into a 5 yard gain but doesnt make anybody miss is almost a negative to them but if saquon makes 2 ppl miss and has a loss of 2 on the play it's a positive.

keysersoze, Proof, Future and 12 others like this.
  8. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

3,296 Messages
    4,808 Likes Received
    I don’t have a cat. Actually hate cats. If I did have one I would line the kitty litter box with PFF articles.

9. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

11,380 Messages
    15,046 Likes Received
    Ben Grimaldi?......If he said the sun was shining you better grab an umbrella.

DeaconBlues and Pantone282C like this.
  10. Hennessy_King

4,448 Messages
    5,314 Likes Received
    This exactly I never felt they graded RBs properly and this just proves it. They need to take a look at it

Pantone282C and DakPresgoat like this.
  11. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

34,460 Messages
    31,248 Likes Received
    Did not read it because it was from PFF....positively foolish focus....

12. Corso

17,762 Messages
    29,758 Likes Received
    Lol... you pay for that.
    I mean... You are so much smarter than peeps now!

GhostOfPelluer and DakPresgoat like this.
  13. Hennessy_King

4,448 Messages
    5,314 Likes Received
    I dont treat it as gospel and knowledge is power. They are pretty spot on for the most part. Players with the best grades are usually the best players.

Whyjerry and Corso like this.
  14. thechosen1n2

thechosen1n2 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    361 Likes Received

This article is utterly ridiculous.

tyke1doe and Risen Star like this.
  15. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

13,234 Messages
    12,670 Likes Received
    Well Emmitt wouldn't be in the top tier also because of his OL & the offense ran thru him.

16. Corso

17,762 Messages
    29,758 Likes Received
    Cat people are funny.
    Cats don't love you.

17. Corso

17,762 Messages
    29,758 Likes Received
    And you pay them for this.
    How much you pay?

18. ChuckA1

ChuckA1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

294 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    They are just stupid.

19. mattjames2010

mattjames2010 Well-Known Member

14,206 Messages
    11,718 Likes Received
    The explanation for this has already been posted - Zeke is not the only RB they do this to, it's not a special case. They, as a whole, rank RBs lower due to their dependence on so much around them for individual performance.

20. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

7,670 Messages
    15,472 Likes Received
    Good points Henny.

I wonder what they consider “making a guy miss” too.

For instance, one of the things that makes Zeke special is his vision, his patience, and his ability to follow his blocks. He also has an incredible cutback move where he can change running lanes as the play develops, without losing any speed.

All those factors that Zeke brings to the table, helps prevent some defenders from even getting to him in th first place. Which means that he doesn’t have to “make them miss” later on in the play.

Does their making people miss account for that? Does it account for making the best split second decision to maximize a run that should go for 1 yard but he takes for 5?

I doubt it.