PFF - Zeke is not a top 25 player under 25 years of age

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well Emmitt wouldn't be in the top tier also because of his OL & the offense ran thru him.
It's one of the stupidest arguments I've read.
Joe Montana wouldn't be who he was if the offense didn't run through him.
Dan Marino wouldn't be who he was if the offense didn't run through him.
Jerry Rice wouldn't be who he was if the ball wasn't thrown to him.
Isn't the point that you run an offense through a player BECAUSE he is great? :huh:I mean, we didn't run the offense through Rod Smith for a reason.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yada, yada, yada...how many days until training camp?

This offseason noise is boring.

aria

Reaction score
He also led the league in touches, I would imagine.
Still, there’s a huge difference in touches vs fumbles compared to the other top RB’s. Gurley and Barkley carried the ball ~40-50 times less than Zeke and had ZERO fumbles. The closest to him is Johnson who carried it ~40 times less and had two fumbles but also played behind possibly the worst O line in the league.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
Honestly, our OL is overrated. It’s those Simple Jack fans like PFF that think it’s the reason why Zeke is the RB he is. I’m not trying to knock our OL but it wasn’t even close to what it was in 2016.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
PFF is a source for very specific, objective raw stats. How many pressures somebody allowed, what a passer rating was on a particular receiver's routes, or a QB's rating to a specific area of the field. It's one of the best sources for that kind of stat, in fact, along with PFR.

PFF is the last source I would turn to if I was looking for a subjective opinion about football or anything else. That's filler for them. Bells and whistles, nothing more. It may be what gets the most attention for them, but it is most certainly NOT what they do well.

If Percy isn't a fan of the stats, something ain't right. Go ahead and close up and clock out boys, this thread is done.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Honestly, our OL is overrated. It’s those Simple Jack fans like PFF that think it’s the reason why Zeke is the RB he is. I’m not trying to knock our OL but it wasn’t even close to what it was in 2016.

Our OL run blocking wasn't overrated. Everyone knows the pass blocking has been the problems.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Mark Chichester and PFF cited their reasoning:

“There’s no doubt that Ezekiel Elliott is one of the top players at his position, but it’s hard to overlook the fact that his production is, in large part, thanks to the offense that Dallas has built around him. Over the last three years, Elliott ranks first in rushing attempts (868), rushing yards (4048), rushing yards after contact (2567) and first down conversions (219). However, his three-year rushing grade of 80.2 ranks ninth among the 36 backs with at least 300 attempts in that span, while his 0.119 missed tackles forced per attempt ranks tied for 27th among the same group.”

"However"

"Zeke is first in most categories that matter, but we graded him poorly, so he must suck."

It never occurs to them that the disconnect between Zeke's production and their grade is *their* problem, not Zeke's.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
More proof that PFF and all the poindexters who try to covert football into a mathematical formula are complete trash.

-

Ezekiel Elliott is not one of the NFL’s top players under 25-years old, allow that sink in for a moment. The reigning rushing champion isn’t good enough to be on a list that includes top players in the league under 25-years old.

Now realize this isn’t a fact, just an opinion of Pro Football Focus who put out their annual top 25 players under 25 years of age at the start of the upcoming season. Elliott did not make the list, but he did manage to make the “just missed” portion.

Mark Chichester and PFF cited their reasoning:

“There’s no doubt that Ezekiel Elliott is one of the top players at his position, but it’s hard to overlook the fact that his production is, in large part, thanks to the offense that Dallas has built around him. Over the last three years, Elliott ranks first in rushing attempts (868), rushing yards (4048), rushing yards after contact (2567) and first down conversions (219). However, his three-year rushing grade of 80.2 ranks ninth among the 36 backs with at least 300 attempts in that span, while his 0.119 missed tackles forced per attempt ranks tied for 27th among the same group.”

Elliott gets dinged for having the offense flow through him, a preposterous line of thinking. Downgrading a player that is so good that the team builds around him is silly. Punishing him for still leading the league when the opposition clearly focuses their defensive game plan around stopping him is absurd.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...llas-cowboys-top-25-under-25-2019-nfl-season/
Similar disrespect Emmitt always, and still does, receive....”it’s the OL and Dallas’ commitment to the run game.” Even moreso than Emmitt, Zeke’s power and speed would be highly productive in any offense, even those with lower rated OL’s.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's one of the stupidest arguments I've read.
Joe Montana wouldn't be who he was if the offense didn't run through him.
Dan Marino wouldn't be who he was if the offense didn't run through him.
Jerry Rice wouldn't be who he was if the ball wasn't thrown to him.
Isn't the point that you run an offense through a player BECAUSE he is great? :huh:I mean, we didn't run the offense through Rod Smith for a reason.

Agreed. Nate Newton said it best. “Before Emmitt got here I was just a big fat guy, when Emmitt got here I became a big fat guy that went to the pro bowl every year”

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Our OL run blocking wasn't overrated. Everyone knows the pass blocking has been the problems.
I don't buy this, our passing scheme and Dak's holding the ball too long due to the fact he isn't a master of reading the field accounted for the high number of sacks. Plenty of proof there were open receivers Dak just couldn't find them, either ran/took a sack or checked down.

You're implying Zeke benefited from a great line while Dak and the passing game took abuse because that same line sucked.

Zeke ran behind the same line that Dak had in the passing game the last 3 years and proved to be the best back in the league over that time. To say the they were over rated for Dak and under rated for Zeke is a joke!

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It should be banned from ALL football conversations
I detest and lol when people use it as evidence for their case....

Remember Nate Livings, the human turnstile we signed a while back. PFF graded him as "A stud" and apologized for doubting the signing by Dallas after his horse crap year in Dallas..I haven't taken them seriously since that day.