News: PFT: Adrian Peterson: Emmitt Smith’s record is “very realistic”

NewsBot

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson leapfrogged a pair of Hall of Famers on Sunday. Now sitting at No. 10 on the all-time rushing list, Peterson continues to aspire to jump past nine more. Yes, Peterson truly wants to surpass Emmitt Smith as the king of all NFL rusher. “I feel like it’s realistic you know very realistic,” Peterson [more]

Continue reading...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At age 33 and needing almost 6000 yards. I said 4 years ago he would not break Emmitt's record. I still stand by that.
I say he ends up in the 16,000 or so tops. And that may be generous.

Frank Gore has 14,087 and is 35 but yet you don't hear him talking about any records.
And he did all that pretty quietly too.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
At age 33 and needing almost 6000 yards. I said 4 years ago he would not break Emmitt's record. I still stand by that.

Frank Gore has 14,087 and is 35 but yet you don't hear him talking about any records.

Wow Frank Gore has put up numbers, GEESH.

joseephuss

Reaction score

I agree. That 6000 yards will be tough to attain for Peterson with a 3.7 yard per rushing attempt average as he had in his last game.

Frank Gore has definitely gotten his yards quietly. I compare stats of running backs today to when they only played 12 game seasons. To gain 1000 yards in a 12 game season you had to average 83.3 yards per game, which over a 16 game season is 1333.3 yards. Gore has only done that once in his career and averages 71.5 yards per game for his career. He has been a very steady back and most teams would love to have his reliability.

As a comparison, Curtis Martin averaged more than 83.3 yards per game in a season 6 times, went over 1333.3 yards 4 times and averaged 83.9 yards per game for his career. Emmitt averaged more than 83.3 yards per game in a season 6 times, went over 1333.3 yards 6 times(he also had one season with 1332 yards) and averaged 81.2 yards per game for his career.