News: PFT: Adrian Peterson still hopes to catch Emmitt Smith's rushing record

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
3bbLBb5.gif

LLLOOLLL, Mr. Cool

Praxit

Reaction score
The problem Peterson is going to have is that the 35+ year old body simply cannot recover from an NFL game fast enough for him to be effective anymore. If he plays he's going to suck plain and simple. His game was heavily predicated on speed, quickness, power and explosiveness. 3 of the 4 of which he no longer has but for maybe the first 3-4 carries in a game. After that the muscles will be fatigued and unable to recover in game and he will not be able to generate any power and speed and he will suck. If he played the game the way Emmitt did he might have a shot.. but Frank Gore, who does play the game closer to the way Emmitt did, has a better chance of catching Emmitt than AP does.
..I thought Gore was calling it quits this year? As for AP, I agree. 36 yrs old playing in the NFL as RB is brutal. We see Zeke half that age, barely turning the tables now..lol

HungryLion

Reaction score
Based on their average total yards over the last 3 seasons, they'd each need to play about another 4 years. There's no shot.

With the current trajectory of the NFL, nobody's going to touch Emmitt.

Yea there’s just no way. Adrian needs like 3500 more yards or so. He has no chance at his age.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Adrian Peterson still hopes to catch Emmitt Smith's rushing record - ProFootballTalk

GettyImages-1285818365-e1613421398512.jpg

He turns 36 next month. And he's not yet ready to surrender his quest to catch Emmitt Smith for the NFL's career rushing record. Adrian Peterson reiterated his longstanding desire to (1) win a Super Bowl and (2) catch Smith's record in recent remarks to TMZ.com. "I'm going to keep playing, trying to chase the [more]

Read Full Story
Keep hoping lol

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The problem Peterson is going to have is that the 35+ year old body simply cannot recover from an NFL game fast enough for him to be effective anymore. If he plays he's going to suck plain and simple. His game was heavily predicated on speed, quickness, power and explosiveness. 3 of the 4 of which he no longer has but for maybe the first 3-4 carries in a game. After that the muscles will be fatigued and unable to recover in game and he will not be able to generate any power and speed and he will suck. If he played the game the way Emmitt did he might have a shot.. but Frank Gore, who does play the game closer to the way Emmitt did, has a better chance of catching Emmitt than AP does.

Gore has averaged 650 yards a season the last 3. Only broken 4ypc in one season of the last 6. It will take 4 seasons at that pace. 3 different teams the last 3 years. He looks pretty done.

Gore and Peterson are probably eyeing each other, and Payton.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure any team will even sign him........it's obvious he's only interested in personal goals. Just me, but he's a classic progress stopper.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The irony of the situation is that AP will probably have one or two explosive carries per game left in his body for the next 3-4 years. After which he will need oxygen and maybe a wheelchair. If he catches a defense sleeping or some DBs making "business decisions" he could take one to the house and get people all excited. Then average 2.1 ypc the rest of the game because his body won't be able to recover. Somebody might sign him if he'd be willing to play for free but he cannot produce at a consistent enough level to warrant actually earning a paycheck at this point. Still I will never bang on a guy for trying to do what he loves for as long as he possibly can. If they keep handing you the pads and a jersey.. keep playing.. Period.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Based on their average total yards over the last 3 seasons, they'd each need to play about another 4 years. There's no shot.

With the current trajectory of the NFL, nobody's going to touch Emmitt.
Somebody will break the record. I will let you know who will do it. He is not in the NFL or college football at the moment.