News: PFT: Adrian Peterson still hopes to catch Emmitt Smith's rushing record

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Gore has a better shot.

He is #5 in rushing yards since 2015. Pretty crazy. He is 2,355 yards behind Emmitt.

If he is able to get close Gore might be able to latch onto a bottom feeder team that wants to market his pursuit of the record to attract fans while they rebuild in much the same way that the Cowboys did with Emmitt at the end. Though Emmitt was a thousand yard back up until his last year in Dallas (when he was screwed by Bruce Coslett) while Gore hasn't sniffed a G note since hitting 961 in 2017. Not reaching 4 ypc in 5 of the last 6 years also works against him. If he was a better TD scorer he might also have a better shot.. But he's less than half as many rushing TDs as Emmitt ( 81 to 164) despite playing almost 20 more career games. Emmitt scored more TDs (9) in his final season in AZ than Gore has scored in the last 4 years.. (7) . Damn that dude was special..

fivetwos

Reaction score
How long ago was all that talk about AD coming home to play in Dallas behind that great OLine?

Wasn't as long ago as it seems.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there's anyone I wouldn't doubt to do it, it's him. I don't like him but he is an amazing RB and in the conversation for best ever. His comeback from that injury is still marveled at by other RB's.

When he was coming out of high school, he mentioned challenging the rule about how players entered the NFL and if there ever was a guy that could have played in the NFL at 18, he was the one.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hell if he even comes close he will be in the Hall of Fame - then again he probably will go into the Hall just for trucking that Steelers player.
AP's a total lock for the HOF.
Gore's in the conversation but more workhorse than spectacular, obviously.

But catching Emmitt? nahhh

At their current pace, Gore would need 4 more 600 yard years (which is his current pace) and Peterson would need another 6 years.

Not impossible, but highly improbable

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
Like Emmitt, Peterson isn't a helmet tapper.

Like the one we have here now.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Gore has a better shot.

He is #5 in rushing yards since 2015. Pretty crazy. He is 2,355 yards behind Emmitt.

Not really. Gore is 37 and as one would expect the last 4 yrs his yards have decreased. He is not going to get more carries as he gets closer to 40 and at his current avg the last 4 years (733 yds), he would need to play 4 more years. No way he gets enough carries.

2017: 961
2018: 722
2019: 599
2020: 653

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson still hopes to catch Emmitt Smith's rushing record - ProFootballTalk

He turns 36 next month. And he's not yet ready to surrender his quest to catch Emmitt Smith for the NFL's career rushing record. Adrian Peterson reiterated his longstanding desire to (1) win a Super Bowl and (2) catch Smith's record in recent remarks to TMZ.com. "I'm going to keep playing, trying to chase the [more]

Read Full Story

I just heard on one of the national sports talk radio shows yesterday that one of them figured it out that Peterson would need at his current per rush average 287 rushes a year for the next 4 years gaining at lest 832 yards a season the catch Emmitt. He's had 2 1000 yard seasons in the last 7 seasons and had season totals of 75,72, 81,448, and 604. He's going to be 36 and there isn't going to a team that is going to make him their main back to get there.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If there's anyone I wouldn't doubt to do it, it's him. I don't like him but he is an amazing RB and in the conversation for best ever. His comeback from that injury is still marveled at by other RB's.

When he was coming out of high school, he mentioned challenging the rule about how players entered the NFL and if there ever was a guy that could have played in the NFL at 18, he was the one.

Wasn't there an old Raider from back in the day who skipped college and came right to the NFL but I think he did like a year or two in the army first? Maybe it was the AFL from back in the day. I recall Coach Madden talking about him on the radio after he died.. I will look it up later when I have some time. But on the topic of AP getting to Emmitt's record? Nobody beats Father Time. We've seen that Father Time has robbed Peterson of his trademark explosion and without that he's just a big strong slow dude who takes too long to recover from hits owing to his age. It's a miracle he has lasted as long as he has with his running style which is a testament to his talent.. but I'm afraid he is pretty done..

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Wasn't there an old Raider from back in the day who skipped college and came right to the NFL but I think he did like a year or two in the army first? Maybe it was the AFL from back in the day. I recall Coach Madden talking about him on the radio after he died.. I will look it up later when I have some time. But on the topic of AP getting to Emmitt's record? Nobody beats Father Time. We've seen that Father Time has robbed Peterson of his trademark explosion and without that he's just a big strong slow dude who takes too long to recover from hits owing to his age. It's a miracle he has lasted as long as he has with his running style which is a testament to his talent.. but I'm afraid he is pretty done..

Otis Sistrunk....it was said of him he went to The University of Mars.

mldardy

Reaction score
Gore has a better shot.

Can you imagine Frank Gore being the all time leading rusher. Just think about that. He ran for over 1300 yards in a season once.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Can you imagine Frank Gore being the all time leading rusher. Just think about that. He ran for over 1300 yards in a season once.
Longevity is an underrated trait in the NFL.

It would be crazy - but he is definitely much closer to it than AP is.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score

Sorry @CouchCoach - but AP isn't close to pulling it off. He is a year younger than Frank Gore, while AP has 14,820 yards and Frank Gore has 16,000 yards.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
AP's a total lock for the HOF.
Gore's in the conversation but more workhorse than spectacular, obviously.

But catching Emmitt? nahhh

At their current pace, Gore would need 4 more 600 yard years (which is his current pace) and Peterson would need another 6 years.

Not impossible, but highly improbable
If Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin can be in the HOF, then Gore should be in.