News: PFT: After NFL cracks down on Myles Garrett, Robert Quinn sees football getting soft

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I don't like all of the ticky-tack calls on the quarterback either but you're not allowed to hit a helmeted player in the head with your helmet, you know damn well you can't swing a helmet and hit a helmetless playe in the head and expect to get away with it. That is pretty much assault.

To use a baseball comparison you can brush a player back from the plate, you can even hit him with a pitch but I'm pretty sure MLB will draw the line if you take the Louisville Slugger to another player.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah but that idiot Rudolph ran towards a guy who had a helmet in his hand. They both were dumb.

:hammer:Thank you....someone finally said it. If Rudolph doesn't run toward Garrett, none of it happens. Seen where some have said they'd never seen a player use a helmet as a weapon like that. Well no other player been dumb another charge toward another player with a helmet in his hand (lol). Of course, I'm not excusing what Garrett did but Rudolph is certainly not blameless IMO.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Mason rudolph shouldn't get a pass. He's acting like he didnt try to take Garrett's helmet off and then when he got his taken off he ran at Myles and took a shot at him.

I'm not saying Myles Garrett isn't at fault but that punk Rudolph is a spoiled brat throwing a temper tantrum throwing a fit because he threw 4 picks and was terrible all game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You have a defensive player defending a defensive player. A single tweet.

And Cameron Jordan is ignoring, again, what Rudolph perceived to be a late hit. Jordan isn’t going after Rudolph specifically, it’s a defensive biased mindset, the same with Quinn.

I sympathize with defensive players in the league today, it doesn’t change the fact that what “started” this is that Rudolph was slammed to the ground and then held there after the play. Does it justify Rudolph’s reaction? No, but let’s stop pretending this stuff doesn’t happen every week.

You know what doesn’t happen every week? Players using helmets as a deadly weapon when they lose their cool.
Guys get hit late all the time that doesn’t make them want to rip off another guys helmet.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
:hammer:Thank you....someone finally said it. If Rudolph doesn't run toward Garrett, none of it happens. Seen where some have said they'd never seen a player use a helmet as a weapon like that. Well no other player been dumb another charge toward another player with a helmet in his hand (lol). Of course, I'm not excusing what Garrett did but Rudolph is certainly not blameless IMO.
Right. And yeah I’m not excusing what Garrett did either but he gave Rudolph what he wanted lol. He wanted a helmet he got it lol.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That’s probably a little dramatic E. Lol

But I would agree our current climate isn’t healthy because there are some words and subjects which shouldn’t be mentioned in public or in the workplace.

Our society was beginning to make some progress which while perhaps awkward to some it’s more acceptable to majority in our ever growing diverse society and cultures.

We should make an attempt not to offend everyone and coexist with our neighbors, associates , coworkers , friends and family members despite our differences, beliefs and views on ever subject respecting their right to conduct themselves in any lawful behavior they choose.

Actually, the US is hitting the point of when great empires usually fall. It’s a cycle.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Guys get hit late all the time that doesn’t make them want to rip off another guys helmet.

I just said it wasn’t justified, just like the late hit and holding the QB down wasn’t...

But again, these things happen every week. Players wrestle, push each other, get into each other’s face and then cool off.

Using a heavy helmet and try and crack someone’s skull overshadows all the rest for good reason. Your “Mason was charging!” excuse is just silly.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Mason rudolph shouldn't get a pass. He's acting like he didnt try to take Garrett's helmet off and then when he got his taken off he ran at Myles and took a shot at him.

I'm not saying Myles Garrett isn't at fault but that punk Rudolph is a spoiled brat throwing a temper tantrum throwing a fit because he threw 4 picks and was terrible all game.
Yup. I'm a firm believer in whoever instigates should get a harsher punishment. This is just rewarding bad behaviour and it's stupid.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I just said it wasn’t justified, just like the late hit and holding the QB down wasn’t...

But again, these things happen every week. Players wrestle, push each other, get into each other’s face and then cool off.

Using a heavy helmet and try and crack someone’s skull overshadows all the rest for good reason. Your “Mason was charging!” excuse is just silly.
He should of dropped the helmet and popped him with his fist.. that would of been totally acceptable.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Or they both could just said some nasty words to each other and went their separate ways...

There was 8 seconds left in the game, dude
In a perfect world..but these are rival teams that hate each other and one was getting whooped all game. The tensions were high all game. Dirty crap happens every game when you play on the edge. That's football.

I would suspend Myles for 4 games and suspend Rudolph for 1 game and move on.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Probably should tell Rudolph not to try to rip off a defensive linemen's helmet first, then charge said defensive linemen. He's lucky he's alive.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
In a perfect world..but these are rival teams that hate each other and one was getting whooped all game. The tensions were high all game. Dirty crap happens every game when you play on the edge. That's football.

I would suspend Myles for 4 games and suspend Rudolph for 1 game and move on.

You’re not getting away with giving Myles 4 games, not once he used the helmet. I mean, they were talking about criminal charges until Rudolph declined. The NFL has taken too much heat on rules, they have burned the bridge on giving players a light suspension.

It didn’t need to be a perfect world - I didn’t have anything against either Garrett or Rudolph going at it on the ground and wrestling (that sound erotic in any other context) - but that’s where it should have ended.

What we have is Rudolph getting a fine and Garrett getting a season. The other player that shoved Rudolph got 1 game. I think it’s fair all around. Both Garrett and Rudolph probably would have ended up with just fines if it was not for the helmet

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
In hockey, the two players engaged in a fight might each get five minutes for fighting. If there is a clear instigator of the fight that player will likely get an additional two minutes.

In this case I would give Garrett a 3 game suspension and that little whiny, punk Rudolph 4 games.

InTheZone

Reaction score
He’s right. But he picked the wrong event to make his point.

By the way, Myles Garret indefinitely suspended.

Robert Kraft still owner of Patriots.
I think you meant to say Robert Kraft still not in prison.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

No excuse. I think both should be suspended honestly.

Haimerej

Reaction score
A player whining about the league getting soft when the NFLPA basically eliminated full contact practice.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I just watched the fight last night and heard all the talk for a whole day. After I saw the tape, I was thinking that wasn't bad imo. I've been in and seen better football brawls. The helmet to the head wasn't that bad either, imo.

I agree with Quinn.