News: PFT: After NFL cracks down on Myles Garrett, Robert Quinn sees football getting soft

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I just watched the fight last night and heard all the talk for a whole day. After I saw the tape, I was thinking that wasn't bad imo. I've been in and seen better football brawls. The helmet to the head wasn't that bad either, imo.

I agree with Quinn.

It wasn’t that bad because he had to reach over someone to hit.

Those helmets can do damage, man. I mean, they are there to lessen the blow from hits and ground impact. It can easily crack a skull for a good swing.

I don’t think anyone saying someone got seriously injured, more about Garrett’s intent

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I feel like a lot of people are ignoring that Garrett slammed Rudolph to the ground a couple seconds after the ball left his hands....

That’s why Rudolph reacted the way he did. I feel like Rudolph’s political beliefs is getting people wanting him to be the one who started this.

Mr_437

Reaction score
It wasn’t that bad because he had to reach over someone to hit.

Those helmets can do damage, man. I mean, they are there to lessen the blow from hits and ground impact. It can easily crack a skull for a good swing.

I don’t think anyone saying someone got seriously injured, more about Garrett’s intent
Fair enough.

Swanny

Reaction score
they are doing the right thing when it comes to eliminating shots to the head and penalizing them. Nothing you said changed that.

The NFL looking the other way on HGH doesn’t mean the NFL is wrong for trying to take head shots out of the game.

The NFL is incentivizing players to tackle properly. It’s not their fault players don’t tackle properly that is preposterous.

The point is. People saying the nfl is “soft” is fake macho BS that some people want to spout on a messageboard to make themselves feel more manly. When the reality is the ones saying it would probably be the first one on a stretcher crying when they took one of those shots to the head.

it doesn’t mean every rule change has been for the better. Some of them are pretty lame, namely roughing the passer.

But shots to the head? They aren’t necessary on a football field and the NFL and the NFLPA should be doing everything they can to limit head trauma.

The idea the NFL is “soft” is way over the top. These players still play with broken bones, sprained ankles and knees, bruises all over their body, the nfl isn’t eliminating any of that. They’re trying to get rid of the head trauma.
Th NFL is not soft. But is way softer than it used to be. But yes put me on that field at my current 34 year old body and I would be dead.

Lutonio

Reaction score
My father has always joked that the best way to enhance player safety would be to go back to leather helmets. They wouldn't be as dangerous on contact, and you'd probably see some more careful tackling as players want to protect their own heads.

I have to admit, it would have at least solved this one.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Well, at least, Quinn stated he doesn't condone what happened in that head-bashing incident and that's to his credit. He's a DE whom I'm sure would like nothing better than to see some of these ticky-tack flags on the QB sacks be minimized. That's something that most DEs would more than likely agree with wholeheartedly -- I'm reasonably certain of that.

Nevertheless, much of the abuse that QBs had to deal with in the past, such as pile-driving them head first into the ground and hammering them with forearms to the neck, simply needed to be disallowed for the sake of guarding their health and survival. Yet, I'd like nothing better than to see some of these over-officious flags be eliminated. It's getting to a point where just touching a QB gets flagged much too often. ;)

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
After NFL cracks down on Myles Garrett, Robert Quinn sees football getting soft

gettyimages-1181070362-e1573902703895.jpg

Cowboys defensive end Robert Quinn worries that the handwringing about the brawl at the end of Thursday night's Steelers-Browns game reflects a sport that's changing for the worse. Quin...

Read Full Story
Robert, shut your mouth and let us think you are dumb rather than you yak and confirm your stupidity. Be a good chap, tackle the QB (legally) and shut up.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
and that would be the most viewed event maybe in the history of the world.
Its what we are, humans.
Humans crave violence, its inherent, its preprogrammed in our DNA.
When you misspelled it's/it is as "it's" I knew you were getting in a bloodthirsty lather.

lockster

Reaction score
NFL football is very soft. It has to be. The players union sueing the NFL is forcing the nfls hand. And yes the players union should be sueing the NFL. Football as I knew it no longer exists. It's all about FF and offensive numbers. That's what the fans want. That's what the NFL is giving them.
I understand what Ur saying about the NFL being sued, but I think ur dead wrong about this is what fans want. That's a claim without evidence. That's what it told, so it becomes a false paradigms. But i agree that FF is helping adding to that as will the legalisation of sports betting. Money , greed, power have ruined the NFL. I'm just glad I got to watch the game while it was still a good game, but it's gotten worse each year, and as a result, I watch fewer games each year. I don't play FF because I seen when it came out, it would be bad for football, I don't bet on sports, because I think it's wrong to use Ur money this way, and betting with the NFL involved is going to completely ruin this game. Which seems to be the only possible way to isfox the game is to totally destroy it. But in a world where Emmitt Smith put his name in the class action lawsuit against the NFL, while having made millions, and knowing that injuries are part of a game like this . There is no long term fix to this problem, it's merely, the symptoms of the problems we have in our society , that doesn't take any responsibility . And a society where money is more important than anything else. I'm not allowed to list those things. Thankfully, I got to see A little Meridith, a little Lilly, Leeroy Jordan , lots of Charlie waters, Harris, Roger, Martin, Jones, Pugh, Dorsett, the manager,. Troy, Irvin,. Allen, and Williams. I just want to know, how does boxing, or the Octagon fighting still survive? Suing the NFL was abusive, and abuse can retract ones rights as fast as the powers just arbitrarily taking them. One famous man once said in a much more straight forward way. :). I've had to shift my interests in other fields more strongly, and let the NFL take up less of my life. Sad, sad, sad. But on the end, I loved the game too much anyway. The NFL is weening me off it more each year. I think it's sick to care more about whether Ur FF team won, rather than if Ur real team won. And making money , is more important, than building a winning team. But face it, today's youth are so soft, football is a sport too rough for Americans anyway now. I had college mates bragging to me about running 6 .5 to 7 minute miles when I was in college. I laughed at them . In 7 th grade, I could run under 4 minutes in a mile. Why? Because, I ran everywhere I went, and I lived out in the country where Ur friends weren't close, I had a job after school ever since third grade. I had to take care of all my animals that I had bought with my money. A cow, goats, rabbit, dog, etc. I didn't grow up playing Atari like my friends, or Xbox like today's youth. They are slow, fat, lazy, irresponsible and more. I just SMH

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
The QB actually tried ripping Garrett's helmet off while Garrett was on top of him, and that's why Garrett ripped his off. Up to that point, Garrett's actions were understandable. Swinging the helmet was beyond stupid.

I dunno about that, since Garrett's hit in the play on Rudolph was late and excessive. He shuffle passed the ball away, then Garrett hit him, threw him to the ground, and held him down forcefully until after the play was over. I'd be kinda pissed if I were Rudolph too. I'm not saying he's blameless, but Garrett instigated the whole thing.

Now since Rudolph went back in, had Garrett dropped him helmet and popped Rudolph with a fist I wouldn't worry about it, but Garrett acted like a thug and used a weapon on an unprotected head. He can say "that's not who I am" all he wants but when push came to shove his intent was to cause harm with a weapon.

I'm glad Garrett got the rest of the season off without pay to think about how thuggishly he acted.. and I'm glad Rudolph got suspended.

nobody

Reaction score
Dak would've been pissed too if he were in Rudolphs shoes.

Any QB would have. Blatant late hit then thrown to the ground and held down like that...when there was no justification for it.

This is interesting and talks about other things that happened in the game:

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Quinn must be okay with attempted murder on the field. Since when is promoting safety, getting "soft"?