PFT: Chiefs want a 3rd

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Posted by Mike Florio on October 11, 2008, 10:41 p.m.
We heard last night of a report out of Kansas City linking Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez to the Giants. We investigated the matter, and confirmed that, indeed, something is up.
Along with the Giants, the Bills, Eagles, and Packers are interested in the veteran Pro Bowler, who recently set the career receiving yardage record at his position.
The Chiefs reportedly want a third-round pick for Gonzalez. The Giants reportedly have offered a sixth-rounder.
Frankly, we’re shocked that King Carl has set his asking price so low. It’s a sign, in our view, of a genuine desire to get the deal done before the trading period expires at 4:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday.
The fairest approach would be to use a formula that determines the pick based on the performance of Gonzalez and/or of his new team in his new city.
Gonzalez’s base salary for 2008 is only $1 million. In 2009, it spikes to $4 million. In all, he’s signed through 2011.
It makes sense for the Chiefs to get whatever they can for Gonzalez, who at 32 likely won’t be a significant contributor to any resurgence that the Chiefs might ever enjoy. Letting him chase a Super Bowl title with a contending team would also be a nice gesture of appreciation by a franchise for whom Gonzalez has done so much over the years.

We don't need our division opponents to be adding a really good TE to their roster especially with the current condition of our secondary.

Come on Jerry, get in the game and get us another weapon, say a WR.....:pray:

Eskimo

Reaction score
This guy has not shown much decline in his level of play.

I'm not ordinarily a fan of bringing in older players but this guy is a difference maker and still healthy and productive.

For $1M in 2008 and $4M in 2009 I would suggest we do the trade for a 3rd rounder or a swap for Bennett. It would be the equivalent of getting another WR for Romo given Gonzalez's receiving abilities and I think he is still a very good blocker at the point of attack.

I would immediately switch the base offense to 2-TE set and watch defenses struggle to match up with Witten and Gonzalez on the field simultaneously - arguably two of the best two-way TEs in the NFLs history.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
we're not going to trade ANY draft pick for a TE...we have the best TE in football on the roster, and Martellus Bennett is really developing nicely, plus we spent a 2nd rd pick on him.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Get this done asap!

Our offense would open up with two TE sets. Gonzalez is better than RW,Boldin or whatever trade rumor thas been floated around.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;2326872 said:
There is NO way we go after him.

Coakleys Dad, I'm not suggesting we need a TE but rather another WR threat to pair with TO.

Just don't like hearing the other teams in our division are showing interest in upgrading an already strong division.

Jerry needs to make this offense of ours more
...........................LETHAL...........................

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
tunahelper;2326883 said:
Get this done asap!

Our offense would open up with two TE sets. Gonzalez is better than RW,Boldin or whatever trade rumor thas been floated around.

Gonzalez was a great player...he is just a nice receiving TE at this stage

he would not have anywhere near the impact on the offense that a primo #2 WR would

we dont need another 10-11 yd per catch guy...we need someone who can make big plays

Phantom

Benched
Reaction score
There is no room for him on our team first and foremost.

Second, if Philly could pick him up, then that would be an unbelieveable move.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Phantom;2326895 said:
There is no room for him on our team first and foremost.

Second, if Philly could pick him up, then that would be an unbelieveable move.

Is LJ Smith hurt or something? if not, why would they need him?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
35 for 442 at 12.6 and 2 TD
21 for 193 at 9.2 and 2 TD

You pick the TE to match the stats and figure out if we need another one. If Jason could use him I'd give a 4-6th for him probably a five. Don't see the Chiefs letting him go for a 5 though. I find it hard to believe Jason can use him although I can think of ways to do it myself esp around the goalline.

Phantom

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2326898 said:
Is LJ Smith hurt or something? if not, why would they need him?

LJ Smith has been brutal, I ventured over to the Eagles board a few weeks ago and saw 10-15 threads trashing LJ Smith. He has been injured a lot and was given the "franchise tag" and really hasn't lived up to the billing.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dozin@theknick;2326901 said:
Smith isnt that great?

I never said he was great, but they liked him enough to stick the franchise tag on him....unless he's hurt they probably arnt giving up draft picks for a 32yr old TE at the end ofthe road.

Undisputed

Reaction score
If we want to make our offense more lethal, we should just trade for Felix Jones.

what?

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Undisputed;2326989 said:
If we want to make our offense more lethal, we should just trade for Felix Jones.

what?

Dude, I see the wheels are spinning but you're not going nowhere....:confused:....maybe I missed what you are responding to.

Felix the Cat needs to be involved more 4 sure.

If our division is improving, we need to keep up. Prefer a WR to offset TO.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are NOT trading for Gonzo so lets just put that behind us. Please!

Word up here is the Chefs are looking for the same thing the G-Men got for Shockey - a 2nd and a 5th. In fact it is being reported that the Chefs called the G-Men ask just asked for the same picks the G-Men got from the Saints for Shockey and the G-Men said no.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Big Dog, Tony G wants out also so maybe this will have affect on the price.

I want another WR bad. We can't afford an injury to TO. It's critical that our Offense is functioning at a high level to achieve our goal at a bowl run. I don't have the confidence that our Defense can perform at a high enough level to carry a depleted Offense.

This was just posted:

Posted by Mike Florio on October 12, 2008, 12:30 p.m.
There have been reports that the Chiefs are talking to other teams about a trade of tight end Tony Gonzalez. Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Gonzalez has asked to be traded to a Super Bowl contender.
Per Glazer, Gonzalez wants to play for a team like the Giants.
Glazer says that the Chiefs initially wanted a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick, but it is believed that they’d take less. As we suggested on Saturday night, the best approach might be a package that increases (or decreases) based on the performance of Gonzalez and his new team.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CHIEFS SHOPPING L.J., TOO
Posted by Mike Florio on October 12, 2008, 12:36 p.m.

At a time when the Chiefs are actively talking to other teams about a trade of tight end Tony Gonzalez, Jay Glazer of FOX reports that they also are shopping running back Larry Johnson.

It’d be a wise move to move L.J., as we pointed out in last week’s Ten-Pack for SportingNews.com. Really, who needs a high-end running back when the team is routinely going to be abandoning the run?

The problem is that the Chiefs will have a hard time finding someone to assume Johnson’s contract, and his reputation for surliness. (The other problem is that, barring a catastrophic injury on Sunday, no contending team needs a tailback of L.J.’s ilk. Except for maybe the Broncos, but the Chiefs would likely resist trading Johnson within the division.)

Johnson is signed for four more seasons, with base salaries of $2.5 million in 2008, $4.55 million in 2009, $5 million in 2010, $5.3 million in 2011, and $5.9 million in 2012.