News: PFT: Could Jason Garrett be out Friday, if the Cowboys lose to the Bills?

willia451

Reaction score
I don't see it happening. Firing a HC during the season means the FO believes the season is over and wants a tryout with an interim for a few games.

As much as people would love to see Garrett gone, even if we lose to the Bills the season is not over thanks to being in the NFCE.

If the Eagles were 9-2 or 10-1 and had already beaten us once? Then. Maybe it would happen. Maybe.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Could Jason Garrett be out Friday, if the Cowboys lose to the Bills?

Jerry Jones said what he said on Sunday. On Tuesday, he said enough to make it clear that he meant what he said. So what does it all mean? Coupled with Monday's comments from Stephen Jones, w...

Read Full Story

An ugly loss *on Thanksgiving* may do it. That's a Cowboy showcase. It's also a week and a half to the next game. Half a bye extra time to transition to a new HC, almost certainly in house.

If Jerry is already leaning toward dumping Garrett after this season, after dropping to 500 he may conclude that he'd rather *not* have Garrett squeeze out a playoff birth in a bad division, making dumping him harder. He may also think we have a better chance of getting to the playoffs and doing something in them w/o Garrett.

Promoting Richard seems possible. Justifiable as a long term tryout over Marinelli. Marinelli would just be an obvious caretaker. Lets Richard still run the defense over Marinelli, while not throwing Marinelli out on his ear. Gets Garrett's thumb off of Moore.

The sweetest outcome is promoting Boy Genius II over Boy Genius I.

For the lolz!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Has a head coach EVER, in any major American team sport, EVER been fired late in the season soley for a performance issue when leading their division and/or currently in the playoff field?

There’s your answer. Jason Garrett is not getting fired in November WHILE LEADING THE NFC EAST.
That is true, but this is the jones boys and jerry mainly we are talking about.
they do things other teams dont do all the time.
One reason to do it now is to give the team a better chance to win out, and do better in the playoffs.
It might motivate the players as well.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
after reading the article, I might be rooting for the bills thursday !
I cant lose , if bills win maybe JG is gone, if cowboys win that is ok too.

One bills fan in the comments said , he didnt think bills are quite good enough
to come in and beat dallas at home, said they tend to be flat in big games like this.

But I think it was the bills who last year went into minnesota and knocked off
vikings in a big way, wasnt even close. and they are better this year.
This is a big game for bills, they will be in the spotlight thur , and like dallas last week, this is their signature game.

FTWayne

Reaction score
Garrett has looked kinda pissed a lot of the year. Is it due to Moore running what he wants and Garrett wanting to run his crap?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
As much as we’d love it, I don’t think Jerry will embarrass Jason and will let him just finish out the year.

Frozen700

Reaction score
If we can get rid of this cancer.

Then lose.

We ain't making Noise in the playoffs anyways

Brax

Reaction score
Could Jason Garrett be out Friday, if the Cowboys lose to the Bills?

gettyimages-883342146-1-e1574810918186.jpg

Jerry Jones said what he said on Sunday. On Tuesday, he said enough to make it clear that he meant what he said. So what does it all mean? Coupled with Monday's comments from Stephen Jones, w...

Read Full Story
one can only hope.....

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Firing the HC with 5 games left makes no sense, especially when they are in contention for the Division Title.

No matter what happens the rest of the way, I don't believe Garrett will be back. He doesn't want to come back.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Typically,you either fire a coach early in the season when there is time to right the ship or you ride it out.

Since there are only 5 games remaining in the season, unless Garrett rips Jerry in public, I don't see Jerry firing Garrett during the season regardless of how it goes, but especially since in Jerry's mind the Cowboys could win out and finish at 11-5 or finish at 10-6 with another loss.

OR you wanna take look a possible in-house replacement ( Richards ).

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don't want an interim coach because I don't want Jerry tempted to keep the band together after the season,

I want a new staff. Let it play out then move on.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Everyone sans Leighton is healthy and we are still losing games. The games we have lost have all been coaching losses. We came out flat against the Jets and GB and woke up late. Minny coaching blunders galore, Fair Catch ring a bell? NE, don’t get me started. NO’s, conservative on the road mumbo jumbo. It just never changes. It’s predictable.

It really is, and we need our offence sparked. I think sacking Garrett before it's too late might spark the team in a bigger way, and might help Moore use his own playbook.

John813

Reaction score
Doubtful.

Remember 2015 when the team was under .500 for most of the year, but due to the NFC East rival wearing their helmets too tight it was still up for grabs till week 14/15?
They kept on sunshine pumping that they just needed a spark or Romo back and everything was going to be a ok.

Eagles this year are also finding ways to lose winnable games. They won't make a rash decision unless the Eagles are clear favorites/secured for the NFCE

Gaede

Reaction score
He won't be. But he should be.

If we lose to the Bills, the season is over anyways IMO. Yes, I'm aware that we would still be in the hunt. But with teams like the Saints, Niners, Seahawks, even the Packers and Vikings, in the NFC, we have got no chance to do anything this year, even if we do win this crappy division

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Garrett will remain the coach until the end of the season. If the Cowboys make the playoffs and lose in the 1st round, Garrett's gone. If they don't make the playoffs, Garrett's gone. The only way I think he keeps his job is if he gets to the conference championship. Even if they lose, I think Jerry will keep him around at least another year. Jerry's thinking will be that because they made it to the conference championship, they're only a piece or two away from the Superbowl. Of course we all know better but this has been how Jerry thinks for the past 25 years.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If this weren't the worst division in football, it might happen. But the ineptitude of the Eagles means he won't be fired during the year.