News: PFT: Cowboys plan to re-sign long snapper L.P. Ladouceur

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
For 14 seasons, the Cowboys have had L.P. Ladouceur as their long snapper. The Cowboys brought in competition — younger and cheaper — for Ladouceur many times over the past 14 seasons.

Ladouceur, though, keeps winning the job.

The 2014 Pro Bowler has never had a poor snap in his thousands of snaps.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/18/cowboys-plan-to-re-sign-long-snapper-l-p-ladouceur/
---

What is interesting is that many of those players they brought in for competition have gone on to be successful elsewhere in the NFL.

Jon Condo, Casey Kreiter, Charley Hughlett and Zach Wood all were at one time his competition in Cowboy camps.

That is pretty remarkable.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well this is the first great off season move. Hope it is not the last.
Well 2nd if you count the dismissal of Linehan. But that was nullified as a great move, when they named unknown Moore as his replacement, so that move remains to be seen if great or not.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
we give him competition but not the other positions that need it? smh. management, its not flawed

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys plan to re-sign long snapper L.P. Ladouceur

gettyimages-488180048-e1550543367458.jpg

For 14 seasons, the Cowboys have had L.P. Ladouceur as their long snapper. The Cowboys brought in competition -- younger and cheaper -- for Ladouceur many times over the past 14 seasons. ...

Read Full Story

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
They’d be stupid not to. You don’t want to mess up a primary aspect of your kicking unit trying to save a few bucks.

Plus, LP is a monster backup hybrid LB/DE.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
For 14 seasons, the Cowboys have had L.P. Ladouceur as their long snapper. The Cowboys brought in competition — younger and cheaper — for Ladouceur many times over the past 14 seasons.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/18/cowboys-plan-to-re-sign-long-snapper-l-p-ladouceur/
---

What is interesting is that many of those players they brought in for competition have gone on to be successful elsewhere in the NFL.

Jon Condo, Casey Kreiter, Charley Hughlett and Zach Wood all were at one time his competition in Cowboy camps.

Way COOL thread, Bro!
:thumbup::starspin::thumbup:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I dunno...dude’s had no miscues ever, but he took his first-ever penalty (procedure) in 2018.

Maybe he’s over the hill...? ;):confused::cool::p:D:rolleyes:
:muttley::thumbup:
Terrible! Cost us the Commanders game!

Kidding. This guy is as good and consistent as they come.

Ya know? In the following games being played out league wide after that penalty infraction, I quit counting after seeing 6(six) exactly the same type of pre-snap movements by 'other' long snappers remain UNFLAGGED:huh:

o_O

HonestOffer

Reaction score
we give him competition but not the other positions that need it? smh. management, its not flawed

1. Bringing in competition for long snapper is essentially free - no draft capital, meaningless contract.

2. LP takes up less than 0.5% of the cap. He’s on the field a handful of times a game. If mgmt understands the value in bringing in competition for him, they probably understand the value in bringing in competition for other positions.

3. Of course the front office is flawed, but it’s less flawed than your narrative.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

---

Good move but it is time to find the guys replacement.

conner01

Reaction score
Every college player who isn’t a super star should be working on this skill
Easiest job in the nfl
You play till your social security starts and by rule no one can hit you
He’s made a very nice living being the best at what he does but I don’t get why more guys don’t learn the skill
If you are a fringe player with maybe enough skills to be a backup but not a starter, this is a way to scratch out a good career

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
My first thought was, how many bad long snaps do we really see in a season? I'd guess that LP is saving maybe one or two bad snaps a year over a potential replacement. Is that worth the extra $500k we pay him vs. a younger guy?

But today I learned that vets like LP who sign one-year minimum-salary contracts don't have their full salary count against the cap. He's only costing the same as a 2nd-year minimum-salary player. So replacing him with someone younger would barely save anything. So sure, stay as long as you like LP!

ShiningStar

Reaction score
1. Bringing in competition for long snapper is essentially free - no draft capital, meaningless contract.

2. LP takes up less than 0.5% of the cap. He’s on the field a handful of times a game. If mgmt understands the value in bringing in competition for him, they probably understand the value in bringing in competition for other positions.

3. Of course the front office is flawed, but it’s less flawed than your narrative.

the last 20 years back me up, what do you have?