Video: PFT: Cowboys' signing of DeMarcus Lawrence lays out path to sign tagged players

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys' signing of DeMarcus Lawrence lays out path to sign tagged players

nbc_pft_demarcuslawrencedeal_190408.jpg

The Cowboys showed how teams can sign franchise tagged players to long-term deals as they locked up DeMarcus Lawrence on a massive five-year deal.

Read Full Story

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give me a break. All we did was buy time with the franchise tag..........time that was used by the player against us as DLAW refused surgery until the long term deal was completed. Pretty sure the rest of the league learned nothing worth emulating.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Why does it say read when it's a video...I dont wanna watch...I want to read.
I am so with you on that one.
I still prefer to read than watch.
I'll eventually adjust. Like I did with books.
Took me forever to get used to reading book on a digital device.
Now I do it every day.

Corso

Reaction score
Give me a break. All we did was buy time with the franchise tag..........time that was used by the player against us as DLAW refused surgery until the long term deal was completed. Pretty sure the rest of the league learned nothing worth emulating.
You mention the League like the players aren't a part of it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. I clicked on the "Read More" and it took me to a video.
Where did it take you?

There is a written article. He posted the video link. I read it earlier today and am too lazy to find it.

I was responding to the notion that "the Cowboys showed how teams can sign franchise tagged players to long-term deals........" In that context, "teams" refers to management. In regard to players, DLAW put on a clinic on how to leverage an injury.

I think all the cowboys showed is how to get backed into a corner.

Corso

Reaction score
There is a written article. He posted the video link. I read it earlier today and am too lazy to find it.

I was responding to the notion that "the Cowboys showed how teams can sign franchise tagged players to long-term deals........" In that context, "teams" refers to management. In regard to players, DLAW put on a clinic on how to leverage an injury.

I think all the cowboys showed is how to get backed into a corner.
Aw man, should you come across the link again... I would love to take a gander.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

They learned something very useful to themselves. The whole league did. Don't be in a hurry to get that surgery after the end of the season if you might be tagged.

The league has to do something about that, or everyone who can will be doing it, which destroys the leverage the tags are supposed to give teams.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I don’t see an article either.

Can someone tell us how they were smart with the structure?

CowboysRule

Reaction score
They learned something very useful to themselves. The whole league did. Don't be in a hurry to get that surgery after the end of the season if you might be tagged.

The league has to do something about that, or everyone who can will be doing it, which destroys the leverage the tags are supposed to give teams.
What can they really do though? They can't force a player to have or not have surgery.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

Can't have anyone turn the tables on the owners am I right?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What can they really do though? They can't force a player to have or not have surgery.

You are correct. What the cowboys did is the football equivalent of paying for hostages. DLAW is the first guy I can remember who refused surgery as a negotiating ploy effectively holding the cowboys 2019 season hostage. ...........and the cowboys paid anyway. They had the leverage b/c nobody was going to sign DLAW with his shoulder issue for 65 million guaranteed. But, in Dallas, the fatal flaw in the system for the past 23 years is overly cozy relationships between star players and the Jones boys that too often cloud judgement.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I am referring to the other teams GMs and owners. The players learned a new way to bend a team over a barrel.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Can't have anyone turn the tables on the owners am I right?

Yep.

I love how people talk about "players bending teams over a barrel", when teams can force their players to either sign a one-year contract with them or essentially bar them from playing football that year. Want to talk about leverage?

But when a player pushes back a bit against this, everyone loses their minds...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I think there is a rule that once you're under contract, you're required to take care of injuries in a timely fashion. Someone said as much during the discussions over Lawrence. The rule did not apply to Lawrence because he wasn't under contract.

They could judge that if you failed to have a needed surgery and it hampered your play, or prevented you from playing, it's treated as a NFI. I agree it's complicated, but franchising is part of the structure of the league. If players can get around it, owners will have to protect themselves otherwise in the next contract negotiations.

The players may *prefer* an adjustment to the rules to keep franchise tags viable over the alternative owners come up with.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yep.

I love how people talk about "players bending teams over a barrel", when teams can force their players to either sign a one-year contract with them or essentially bar them from playing football that year. Want to talk about leverage?

But when a player pushes back a bit against this, everyone loses their minds...

Franchising is an integral part of the functioning of the league. If players make it non-viable, players may like the alternative the owners come up with even less.

And the *customers* may like the league less, costing everyone money. Without tags, teams will routinely lose their marquee players, making fans even more fans of a uniform, instead of a team.

The players have as much to lose as owners in diminishing fan interest.

I don't blame Lawrence for doing it. It was savvy move. But it's bad for the league, and players and owners need to put a stop to it.