News: PFT: Dak Prescott holds the cards in contract talks with Cowboys

JayFord

Reaction score
I mean unless youre going to bottom out and draft the kid from USC then he holds all the cards

Can Dak get you to a superbowl? I think so....

If he was actually playing football against the 49ers instead of Water Polo we go to the NFCCG and honestly? i think we beat Philly

but hey....hes gotta show up

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The entire problem traces to the team’s decision not to get Prescott signed to a reasonably robust deal after 2018, his third season. Instead, the Cowboys took full advantage of the bargain-basement fourth year of his rookie deal, applied the franchise tag in 2020, and then finally signed him to a four-year, $160 million deal in March of 2021.
Bingo! Back in 2018 most of us said the Cowboys were making a big mistake....and now it's coming back to bite them in the butt.

I will NEVER understand what Jerry was thinking. Not signing Dak to a 5-7 year deal back then was a horrible miscalculation.

Prescott will have a cap number of $59.455 million in 2024. We can't live with that. So he will get an extension that will overpay him so much it makes me want to throw up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, but I don’t agree with Florio’s take at all. But it’s not surprising as his ‘pro-player’ stance is well established.

Dak has to earn more money in an extension. Because he hasn’t earned the amounts he’s been getting the past several years.

I’d rather cut the cord and take $60 million in lumps for past mistakes than to compound it to $200 million for a guy who’s shown to not be worth it.

Don’t compound one mistake with another.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bingo! Back in 2018 most of us said the Cowboys were making a big mistake....and now it's coming back to bite them in the butt.

I will NEVER understand what Jerry was thinking. Not signing Dak to a 5-7 year deal back then was a horrible miscalculation.

Prescott will have a cap number of $59.455 million in 2024. We can't live with that. So he will get an extension that will overpay him so much it makes me want to throw up.
It’s kick the can book keeping. They cover their past sins by continually mortgaging the future.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t touch his contract.

Ride it out and let the bum walk.
Let him play out the 2023 season first. Then go from there. However they screwed up when they restructured his deal (well actually when they resigned him). And will be what, 59 million next year. Not sure if all of that would be a cap hit. Or if they make him a June 1st cut and it gets split in half.
But we know that will not happen. We are stuck for 2 or 3 more years.

So I hope he steps up and proves himself. As I root for them all to do well. I am just not as high on that happening as I used to be. And even then I still had some doubts, but the higher expectations are gone for now. We will see as the season starts.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Wish this team would start at least trying to draft and develop a replacement. They're so short sighted and reactionary smh.

You could get leverage by drafting his replacement early...we burn 2nd round picks on gambles anyhow. But am hoping for the best with Schoonmaker.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys already screwed this up royally when they agreed to essentially a 4 year deal last time. But compounded the problem when they restructured his deal this year moving $36 million into 2025, a voided year in Dak's contract. When they did that they basically boxed themselves into another contract with Dak.

If Dak does not have a good year this year the Cowboys are in trouble because they really cannot cut him loose without taking a major hit to their roster. Some of their top players will have to go, which may be the case anyway. But dumping salaries for a couple of bad years that follow - and some high draft picks - doesn't have to mean long term mediocrity. Maybe having a 2-15 year nets them a true franchise QB in the draft in a couple of years.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

This just isn't true.

Dak was offered a five year deal at 32/yr following the 2018 season.

He was then offered this deal following the 2019 season. https://www.foxnews.com/sports/dak-prescott-offered-deal-cowboys-nfl-insider-says

The Cowboys absolutely tried to sign Dak at legitimate market rate.
You don't remember all that "Dak is betting on himself" fluff being tossed around here for two years prior to him signing his deal?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The Cowboys already screwed this up royally when they agreed to essentially a 4 year deal last time. But compounded the problem when they restructured his deal this year moving $36 million into 2025, a voided year in Dak's contract. When they did that they basically boxed themselves into another contract with Dak.

If Dak does not have a good year this year the Cowboys are in trouble because they really cannot cut him loose without taking a major hit to their roster. Some of their top players will have to go, which may be the case anyway. But dumping salaries for a couple of bad years that follow - and some high draft picks - doesn't have to mean long term mediocrity. Maybe having a 2-15 year nets them a true franchise QB in the draft in a couple of years.
The four year deal was unprecedented for a starting QB with no years remaining on his existing contract.

Caving in on that might be a top 3 worst mistake Jerry has made, and that is saying something.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Wish this team would start at least trying to draft and develop a replacement. They're so short sighted and reactionary smh.

You could get leverage by drafting his replacement early...we burn 2nd round picks on gambles anyhow. But am hoping for the best with Schoonmaker.
Agreed. You look at some past scenarios around the league and there are plenty of teams that drafted QBs in higher rounds (or lower, depending on how you look at it) to sit behind their star QB. Even Belichick drafted guys like Jimmy G in the 2nd to sit behind the great Tom Brady.

This FO lucked into some starting caliber QBs in UDFA and a mid-round, with Romo and Dak, and now seem to think they can just go find one whenever.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I mean unless youre going to bottom out and draft the kid from USC then he holds all the cards
I wouldn’t bottom out for a USC QB. Carson Palmer was the best one I can think of in the past couple of decades, and he didn’t win anything in the NFL. Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold went bust and both were top five picks. You don’t bottom out unless you have an Elway or a Peyton Manning sitting there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I sorta hope we win 3 games next season so the narrative can change about Dak. Having him as the constant on this roster over the next 5-10 seasons only guarantees us mediocrity.
That’s the problem with a lot of you here, you hope the team will lose so they’ll move on from Dak. You think that’s going to guarantee landing a better QB? Lol You would never think the Cowboys have gone 12-5 the past two seasons and won a playoff game last season. I’m glad fans like you don’t run the team. Dak may have his flaws, but it’s not going to be easy finding a better QB than him.

rambo2

Reaction score
I wouldn’t bottom out for a USC QB. Carson Palmer was the best one I can think of in the past couple of decades, and he didn’t win anything in the NFL. Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold went bust and both were top five picks. You don’t bottom out unless you have an Elway or a Peyton Manning sitting there.
Some thought Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton Manning.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some thought Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton Manning.
That goes to show how difficult it is evaluating QBs, which is why so many go bust. Everyone thought Alex Smith was better than Aaron Rodgers. Everyone thought several QBs were better than Tom Brady. I could go on and on.