News: PFT: David Irving wants credit for NFL's marijuana study

Knotamus

Reaction score
At the end of the day.. I feel like Randy Gregory will get more credit.. atleast Gregory didn’t quit!

Randy has/ is going to treatment programs and learning more ab himself and the drug. Yes, he’s missed tested and failed at times, but he’s trying. He’s not videoing himself smoking for all the world to see and pronouncing himself done with football. If it wasn’t for the testing, Randy Gregory would more than likely still be playing football at a high level.. and no one would care if he smoked or not.

Randy is the poster child for why the NFL needs to change the rules on Marijuana.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I really hate how newspapers (and websites) make their headlines. What should be the takeaway here is that the NFL is studying using mjj for pain management, Irving's one of the players who brought that subject up and he's happy that he NFL is moving in that direction, but I guess you'd get less clicks that way.

In this case, the headline appears to be accurate to me. As a newspaper editor, you want to make your headlines interesting and accurate. A headline that says "NFL study use of marijuana for pain management" not only would have just repeated what has already been put out there but also would not have been that attractive to readers.

There's a difference between sensationalizing a story and making best use of its content for a good headline. I probably would have written "David Irving wants 'some credit" for NFL's marijuana study," which would have kept it from seeming like he wants all of the credit.

Sammy

Reaction score
At the end of the day.. I feel like Randy Gregory will get more credit.. atleast Gregory didn’t quit!

Randy has/ is going to treatment programs and learning more ab himself and the drug. Yes, he’s missed tested and failed at times, but he’s trying. He’s not videoing himself smoking for all the world to see and pronouncing himself done with football. If it wasn’t for the testing, Randy Gregory would more than likely still be playing football at a high level.. and no one would care if he smoked or not.

Randy is the poster child for why the NFL needs to change the rules on Marijuana.

But people who go along to get along without complaining don't usually affect change. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

Eanwen

Reaction score

As far as I know, Randy isn't taking weed for pain management. Irving was (or so he claims).

InTheZone

Reaction score
Did he make an attempt to reach to the NFL to discuss plans for change? Or did he simply take the easy way out with no action and cry to everyone on social media, something we're all too familiar with today's society in the US.

Kaiser

Reaction score
As far as I know, Randy isn't taking weed for pain management. Irving was (or so he claims).

Irving's injury was a twisted ankle. If that requires a big bag of weed to endure, most of us should be given horse tranquilizers.

Eanwen

Reaction score
I agree with the abuse of click-bait headlines, but it's not really that far off in this case.

From the article ..

“Honestly, I’m happy, but I feel like I need some credit, though. Really,” Irving told Jonathan Jones of SI.com. “Everyone was telling me how crazy I am and, what, two months after I make that stand they’re now openly making changes and having discussions. I love it.”

I'm not saying he didn't say that. I just think it's such a small part of what he said but they are making it out as if it's the main thing he said in the interview. Here's more from SI

Many construed the Instagram video as Irving choosing a life of weed over professional football, but he says that wasn’t the case at all. This was about picking his well-being over football.

“It was the only way for me to get by,” Irving says of smoking marijuana. He estimates he could go through “an ounce in two days, or a day” during the football season.

Irving says he suffered four or five concussions during his NFL career. He’s previously stated he believes football is the cause of multiple mental illnesses he says he suffers from, which he declined to discuss this week.

Since he quit football, Irving says he’s dropped 35 pounds, thanks to not having the stressors of the game, He also says his memory has improved and his headaches and migraines have subsided—turnarounds which he, of course, attributes to marijuana, which he’s been smoking since middle school.

Irving recalls an ankle injury he suffered leading up to last year’s Week 9 game against Tennessee as the time when he said no more to prescription pain killers. At a previous stint at a rehab center, Irving had seen the effects of pill addiction and knew he never wanted to go down that path.

“I didn’t like the way they made me feel,” Irving says about the time he was on 10 mg of Percocet. “Sure it helped with the pain, but it numbed you out completely. You sweat. Messes up your appetite. And just the long-term affects that it has.

“At the end of the day I had to choose: my potential earnings or my health. I chose my health.”

It’s widely understood that Irving would have been in line for a big payday had he, in the immortal words of Stephen A. Smith, been able to stay off the weeeeeeeed. He admits he knew the rules and knowingly broke them, trying to outsmart the system the league has in place.

But he says marijuana is his medicine for a violent game. Should smoking weed keep him from being on the field as one of the league’s elite and most versatile linemen?

Sydla

Reaction score
Irving is a total fraud. He wasn't some athlete struggling with a serious injury that he was using pot to help deal with pain and recovery.

He was a pot head who liked to smoke it for recreation. For him to take and want credit just further proves what a half wit that guy was.

Eanwen

Reaction score
Irving's injury was a twisted ankle. If that requires a big bag of weed to endure, most of us should be given horse tranquilizers.

He claims he suffered multiple concussions and had constant migraines from them. As someone who lives with constant headaches (as in, every minute of my life for over 30 years) I can sympathize with that. Nothing really works for me and I've contemplated getting a prescription for mj but I've never gone through with it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He claims he suffered multiple concussions and had constant migraines from them. As someone who lives with constant headaches (as in, every minute of my life for over 30 years) I can sympathize with that. Nothing really works for me and I've contemplated getting a prescription for mj but I've never gone through with it.

Wow, I've never had anything like that and only need tylenol at most. I would try it, everyone is different but THC or CBD does help a lot of people. Good luck.

Irving may or may not be one of them, CTE is very serious but this is the first time I've heard Irving had recurring migranes. They said Junior Seau did from bad CTE and it was a big part of his suicide. But with Irving he clearly hated football, hated his coaches and loved smoking weed, so I would tend to think the medicinal claims were made up. But I've obviously never met the guy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't care what Irving thinks, he choose getting high over playing ball. That was his choice

jrumann59

Reaction score
I agree with the abuse of click-bait headlines, but it's not really that far off in this case.

From the article ..

“Honestly, I’m happy, but I feel like I need some credit, though. Really,” Irving told Jonathan Jones of SI.com. “Everyone was telling me how crazy I am and, what, two months after I make that stand they’re now openly making changes and having discussions. I love it.”
To quote someone, "correlation does not imply causation"

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Oh, please. The guy has been smoking pot for many years. He's addicted to it. His choice. Doesn't mean everyone else has to approve or go along with it.
Addicted? Maybe he enjoys it. Like 80% of the NFL and 50% of the country. Grow up already.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Dude said he didn't like football and he'd rather smoke pot. Ricky Williams did the same thing. He's lazy and didn't want to follow the rules. More money for other people who aren't drug (yeah, even if legal it's still a mild hallucinogenic drug) addicts.
Twist his words however you want. Said he's not in love with football which is fine, and he still dominated the game. Said he could roll out of bed and beat his man which he could and did, so what. Everything he said he spoke the truth, which you and others can't handle cause you can't comprehend someone who doesn't give a crap about chasing the money and doesn't give a crap about some big *** corporations rules. Good for him, screw it all.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Getting credit is for genii and people who change the world.
Everything else is simply filler, except for the steps that get someone there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just tell Irvin to replace his lost NFL revenue by investing in the marijuana industry...and shut up.