1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

News: PFT: Deion Sanders: They're letting too many players into the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

4,116 Messages
    1,579 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think folk need to actually google Deion and watch him play. Not on Madden by the way. Easily the greatest CB I have seen play the game. Dude shut down half a field. Actually made plays on the ball.

2. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

19,874 Messages
    22,036 Likes Received
    Your last sentence.

The HOF is for the best players. Not for guys who had a good game or two. When you start putting in guys for reasons other than they were "great players", then you minimize what it means to be selected.

cowboy_ron likes this.
  3. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

19,874 Messages
    22,036 Likes Received
    And Flacco also played great the year before, and Lee Evans dropped a sure TD pass in the end zone that would've put him in the super bowl the year before he won it.

So, dropped passes should dictate who goes in?

4. dckid

dckid Well-Known Member

1,281 Messages
    1,057 Likes Received
    You are crazy. The man created the concept of shut down corner. Your comments are invalid

phillycard likes this.
  5. dckid

dckid Well-Known Member

1,281 Messages
    1,057 Likes Received
    Agree with him.
    Eli is a joke, .500 passer. How many years did he not make the playoffs?

75boyz likes this.
  6. ESisback

ESisback Well-Known Member

5,102 Messages
    5,139 Likes Received
    That’s all great, but his arrogance, lack of loyalty, and poor tackling kind of ruined it for a lot of people. Pure stats aren’t the only measure that affects greatness. Despite his God given ability, most Dallas fans won’t list Deion on their “favorite Cowboy” list.

dckid likes this.
  7. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

3,591 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Being successful in big games is pretty important over all other things. Ken Stabler and Terry Bradshaw are probably not hall of famers based purely on numbers. But then you look at Bradshaw's 14-5 playoff career with 4 Super Bowls. He's in easy. It took a long time for Stabler to get in because he threw a ton of INTs. He had 96 wins as a QB which is pretty impressive but he also threw a ton of INTs. Almost 30 more INTs than TDs over his career. They finally put him in a few years ago.

8. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

3,591 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    You don't need to tackle when you take away half the field. Deion may be the best corner to ever play the game.

75boyz, CyberB0b and dckid like this.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,972 Messages
    10,526 Likes Received
    WHAT? Deion is one of the 5 best non-QBs to ever play the game.

Deion as a borderline HoFer is a wild take.

75boyz, dckid and jwitten82 like this.
  10. ESisback

ESisback Well-Known Member

5,102 Messages
    5,139 Likes Received
    His comments are not invalid. That’s his opinion, one held by MANY Dallas fans. While he DID create the concept of shutdown corner, for many that’s just not enough.

11. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

43,338 Messages
    26,855 Likes Received
    The relevance of Bradshaw and Stabler with Aikman would be a good talking point in my hypothetical Sanders/Aikman one-on-one discussion.

12. jwitten82

jwitten82 Well-Known Member

3,950 Messages
    5,349 Likes Received
    And none of that determines if he was a hofer...its not the hall of good guys

ESisback likes this.
  13. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

4,663 Messages
    4,214 Likes Received
    And when he did make plays on the ball he actually returned them. Sick punt returner too with Speed to Kill! The guy was a Highlight Reel of Explosion and High Stepping! No one did it better...

Hook'em#11 and dckid like this.
  14. ItzKelz

ItzKelz Well-Known Member

5,017 Messages
    5,906 Likes Received
    Deion is the best ever at his position. Drew is not and when he retired he certainly was not considered to be the best ever. With that said with the standards they have in place Drew should be in.

Future likes this.
  15. cowboysfan99

cowboysfan99 Well-Known Member

244 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    There are always going to be some controversial selections. It is what it is. I mean if Namath wasn't in then Eli wouldn't have a shot. But I think they'll both end up in there on the strength of a historic Super Bowl moment.

No one can agree what a hall of famer is. You have the stat heads on one side and then I think you have the passionate fans who actually watched the player on the other side. A lot of people don't think Aikman should be in the hall of fame based purely on stats.

But Chuck Howley with his 5 first team all pro selections and only losing player to win Super Bowl MVP should be in. He probably would have won two straight Super Bowl MVPs if he hadn't tackled himself on that interception return vs. the Dolphins.

75boyz likes this.
  16. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

20,786 Messages
    17,475 Likes Received
    At least one too many, you're right.

17. gjkoeppen

gjkoeppen Well-Known Member

4,565 Messages
    1,832 Likes Received

I agree with Deion. There should be no minimum number of players elected in any year. I've also said for decades now that the only ones who should be doing the voting on who gets in are the living HOF'ers themselves. I've always said that allowing sportswriters who never played a down be the ones who decide the biggest honor for a NFL player is ridiculous.

shnagy likes this.
  18. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

11,169 Messages
    16,463 Likes Received
    Correct. But once again, if Deion was on the outside looking in, he wouldn't be rattling his mouth off as usual.

19. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

20,786 Messages
    17,475 Likes Received
    It's not the NFL HoF. It's the Pro Football Hall of Fame. And no, one HoF has nothing to do with the other. There is nothing wrong with each doing things differently.

20. gjkoeppen

gjkoeppen Well-Known Member

4,565 Messages
    1,832 Likes Received
    Whatever the reason you dislike Sanders as a cornerback, you are in a very tiny minority. Just about every announcer, analyst and sportswriter think Sanders is the best corner to have played the game. How often do we hear when a corner is having a bad game and the announcer says something like "he's no Deion" or when a corner makes a pick six and the announcer says something like "that reminded me of Deion". Sanders didn't "leech" himself onto any team. Every time he was a free agent he had at least 6 or 8 teams that wanted him and he chose what team he wanted to play for.