News: PFT: Deion Sanders: They're letting too many players into the Hall of Fame

HungryLion

Reaction score
Does it really matter though?

The hall of fame is really just a way to recognize and honor great players and coaches who have had a big impact on the game.

it’s also just a place to fans to go and remember and celebrate the history of the game.

is it really that big of a deal who gets in? its all subjective.

75boyz

Reaction score
Deion Sanders: They're letting too many players into the Hall of Fame

gettyimages-121955911-e1580251935784.jpg

Deion Sanders is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but he thinks that club is adding too many members. Sanders said on the Dan Patrick Show that he believes there are too many players being allowed...

Read Full Story

Yeah,
I don't know which adjectives to describe the vote criteria applies anymore as either selective, subjective, east coast bias or longevity participation.

If a good/very good RB (but certainly not one of the best of All Time) like Curtis Martin basically gets in based on what I assumed were decent numbers and longevity I guess additional wings need to start opening up for skill players of this era.

Especially QBs and WRs, because the modern day game stat numbers are gonna continue to dwarf past history stat numbers and skew the real meaning of being chosen as one of the best at your position of all time.

It's gotten to where if a certain baseball level type numbers thresh hold is met in some cases they are voted in and then you are still left scratching your head if 5 other guys with similar numbers and careers are not voted in.
Guess there is some politics involved too.

Curtis Martin ain't no Hall of Famer.

Come on...

75boyz

Reaction score
6 a year seems fine to me. That 6 is largely clearing out a backlog. It's clearly more permissive than "did you change the game". I think it should be. I'm more on "were you the best for a period of time, or one of the best for a longer period of time?"

1) All Pro years
2) First Ballot Pro Bowls (gotta differentiate between alternates)
3) Season leader in relevant stats
4) Championships
5) Wild card is if you changed the game in some way, and how much.

Eli is a real test. I'd say no. Never an All Pro. Only a smattering of Pro Bowls. Never a season leader in anything but INTs.

No on Gore too. Even more so. He doesn't even have the championships.

It shouldn't be a participation trophy.

Outstanding post. Thought you chose 2 perfect player examples and your criteria is spot on. Nice job.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Outstanding post. Thought you chose 2 perfect player examples and your criteria is spot on. Nice job.

I somewhat agree with part of what you said. The part of being the best during that players era. The problem with going with that is even at that position the player was the best at then it doesn't mean that he was comparable to the best in all the eras and I think that is or if it's not should be the measuring stick. Also to use something else you said, by saying that there will be a minimum of 6 inductees instead of if they only feel using the comparing to the best all time at that position there is only 2 or 3 players that should get in the other 3 or 4 players would be getting a participation trophy by getting in.

GenoT

Reaction score
You are crazy. The man created the concept of shut down corner. Your comments are invalid
Whatever the reason you dislike Sanders as a cornerback, you are in a very tiny minority. Just about every announcer, analyst and sportswriter think Sanders is the best corner to have played the game. How often do we hear when a corner is having a bad game and the announcer says something like "he's no Deion" or when a corner makes a pick six and the announcer says something like "that reminded me of Deion". Sanders didn't "leech" himself onto any team. Every time he was a free agent he had at least 6 or 8 teams that wanted him and he chose what team he wanted to play for.

Look up Dick “Night Train” Lane and educate yourselves, regarding what a 100% do-it-all CB really was/is.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Look up Dick “Night Train” Lane and educate yourselves, regarding what a 100% do-it-all CB really was/is.

Yes Lane is one of the best all time and he was a hitter and yes he still holds the record for most picks in a season. Maybe announcers, analysts and sportswriters shouldn't forget about him and maybe because Sanders played more recently, but that still doesn't change the fact that most in the sporting world say Sanders is the best corner ever or at the very least belongs in the HOF.

75boyz

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with part of what you said. The part of being the best during that players era. The problem with going with that is even at that position the player was the best at then it doesn't mean that he was comparable to the best in all the eras and I think that is or if it's not should be the measuring stick. Also to use something else you said, by saying that there will be a minimum of 6 inductees instead of if they only feel using the comparing to the best all time at that position there is only 2 or 3 players that should get in the other 3 or 4 players would be getting a participation trophy by getting in.

No my post was definitely meant to say All Time and not era so sorry if it implied otherwise.
My case in point just off the top of my head honestly of guys who I consider just as good a talent as Curtis Martin of that particular era would be names like Ricky Williams, Watters, Bryant Westbrook, Cory Dillon, Tiki Barber, etc.

Not to say Martin's numbers are not superior or whatever but I consider these guys just off the top of my head as just as good.

ESisback

Reaction score
Does it really matter though?

The hall of fame is really just a way to recognize and honor great players and coaches who have had a big impact on the game.

it’s also just a place to fans to go and remember and celebrate the history of the game.

is it really that big of a deal who gets in? its all subjective.

All true! I doubt anyone sees it as much of a “life or death struggle”, just debating the merits. Plus, some folks are obsessed with being “right”.

EST_1986

Reaction score
It's not the NFL HoF. It's the Pro Football Hall of Fame. And no, one HoF has nothing to do with the other. There is nothing wrong with each doing things differently.
You know what I mean. The “Pro Football” Hall of Fame is watered down. Let’s eat too many guys in. It needs to follow the way Baseball does it. It’s an actual honor.

the “Pro Football” hall of fame is the Pro Bowl of hall of fames ...just about everyone gets in. It’s no longer special.

rags747

Reaction score
There are always going to be some controversial selections. It is what it is. I mean if Namath wasn't in then Eli wouldn't have a shot. But I think they'll both end up in there on the strength of a historic Super Bowl moment.

No one can agree what a hall of famer is. You have the stat heads on one side and then I think you have the passionate fans who actually watched the player on the other side. A lot of people don't think Aikman should be in the hall of fame based purely on stats.

But Chuck Howley with his 5 first team all pro selections and only losing player to win Super Bowl MVP should be in. He probably would have won two straight Super Bowl MVPs if he hadn't tackled himself on that interception return vs. the Dolphins.
Namath is in for more than just his SB win.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You know what I mean. The “Pro Football” Hall of Fame is watered down. Let’s eat too many guys in. It needs to follow the way Baseball does it. It’s an actual honor.

the “Pro Football” hall of fame is the Pro Bowl of hall of fames ...just about everyone gets in. It’s no longer special.
You are making claims with no evidence. Less than 1% of all players that have played professional football get in. That contradicts your claim that "just about everyone gets in". Your claim is factually not true by a long shot. It is clearly a rare honor to be a member of that HoF.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Deion Sanders...

A one-dimensional CB, who shamelessly leeched himself onto whichever team was trending up and who was his own biggest promoter.

Definitely one too many.
They should take him out to make room for some new guys !
What he is saying is this dilutes his own greatness ! lol

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
Namath is in for more than just his SB win.

He has the lowest completion percentage of any HOF QB (50.1%), he had a losing record as a starting QB (62-63-4), he only made the playoffs twice (lost the first game the only other time), and he's also the only HOF QB who has more career interceptions than touchdowns (173 TDs vs. 220 INTs).

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Correct. But once again, if Deion was on the outside looking in, he wouldn't be rattling his mouth off as usual.
And he would be wrong IMO. If you're not considered to be one of the greatest ever at your position when you retire then you shouldn't get in.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Deion was borderline? What are you smoking?

In 14 seasons in the NFL, he never had a season without multiple picks. They quit throwing it his way after his rookie year, and he still put up huge numbers.
I mean....how delusional has our fan base become? Questioning the validity of Deion Sanders?!?! Way to back up your position with FACTS!!!

Jerry has compromised this fanbase for the worse. We have been blinded by glitz and glamour and FACTS are completely ignored!!!