News: PFT: Deion Sanders: They're letting too many players into the Hall of Fame

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I mean....how delusional has our fan base become? Questioning the validity of Deion Sanders?!?! Way to back up your position with FACTS!!!

Jerry has compromised this fanbase for the worse. We have been blinded by glitz and glamour and FACTS are completely ignored!!!
We question Deion because we have every right to.

HungryLion

Reaction score
All true! I doubt anyone sees it as much of a “life or death struggle”, just debating the merits. Plus, some folks are obsessed with being “right”.

Agreed. I will clarify. For the players or coaches who believe they deserve it. It is justifiably a big deal for them.

But as a fan. It doesn’t really concern me one way or another.

75boyz

Reaction score
I mean....how delusional has our fan base become? Questioning the validity of Deion Sanders?!?! Way to back up your position with FACTS!!!

Jerry has compromised this fanbase for the worse. We have been blinded by glitz and glamour and FACTS are completely ignored!!!

It would almost be as bad as questioning Rice's receiving numbers.

Or switching sports, Gretzky's hockey numbers.

Does make me scratch my head sometimes here, but not totally shocked what with the hilarious QB discussions.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think if you're going to call out the hof committee for letting in the undeserving you should have the fortitude to name names. The accused have the right to face their accuser. I hope sanders has to stand up to the scrutiny of his opinions.
I don't think naming names would accomplish anything other than insulting the individuals named. It's only an opinion, not a testimony in court. Deion is one of the most arrogant men to ever play the game, but I don't think he's wrong here. HoF should be reserved for people whose play either changed the way the game is played, or simply outplayed the rest, IMO.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Yeah, how is this real life?

75boyz

Reaction score
Define "several." TD only had 3 good seasons and was seamlessly replaced by Olandis Gary. He shouldn't sniff the HoF.

Eli is a career .500 quarterback who always ranked near the middle of the league in passer rating - only had 1 top-10 performance. He is entirely mediocre, and skews more towards bad than good. He's what, the 15th-best quarterback of his era? Off the top of my head...Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Romo, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Warner, Palmer, Ryan, Stafford, McNabb, Newton. Even Mike Vick had a passer rating of 86.5 in 2013 at 33 years old. Eli only surpassed that number 6 times in his career, and his average was lower lol.

I mean should Joe Flacco be in? He actually played good in their playoff run.

This is so weird bro. I was scrolling to find an earlier post to reply to so as to add the same name to the mix.
I couldn't agree more.
Flacco and Eli are essentially the same. One just had 2 miracle playoff runs never to be heard from again over a 16 year career.
The other just had one.
I guess with Eli, it's either the last name or the fact that he beat the Brady/Hoodie combo is what gets him in cuz as others have posted the actual numbers and/or "overall" body of work is lacking imo.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Deion Sanders...

A one-dimensional CB, who shamelessly leeched himself onto whichever team was trending up and who was his own biggest promoter.

Definitely one too many.
so hs LeBron or kd then?lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah,
I don't know which adjectives to describe the vote criteria applies anymore as either selective, subjective, east coast bias or longevity participation.

If a good/very good RB (but certainly not one of the best of All Time) like Curtis Martin basically gets in based on what I assumed were decent numbers and longevity I guess additional wings need to start opening up for skill players of this era.

Especially QBs and WRs, because the modern day game stat numbers are gonna continue to dwarf past history stat numbers and skew the real meaning of being chosen as one of the best at your position of all time.

It's gotten to where if a certain baseball level type numbers thresh hold is met in some cases they are voted in and then you are still left scratching your head if 5 other guys with similar numbers and careers are not voted in.
Guess there is some politics involved too.

Curtis Martin ain't no Hall of Famer.

Come on...
im not sure about that , when he retired he was 4th in the all time rushing list and still after retiring in 2005 thats 15 years ago is 6th all time..

he played like 9-10 seasons

he was a bubble player as far as big time splash plays on championship teams he was not but his numbers are still great..AP just passed him and has played one more season maybe 2...

ap only 100yards ahead..i mean thats something..

hes basically Zeke that was able to sustain it nearly 10 seasons.. id say thats pretty good

rags747

Reaction score
He has the lowest completion percentage of any HOF QB (50.1%), he had a losing record as a starting QB (62-63-4), he only made the playoffs twice (lost the first game the only other time), and he's also the only HOF QB who has more career interceptions than touchdowns (173 TDs vs. 220 INTs).
All fine and good. Do you understand why he is in the HOF? He transcended the game. 2 separate leagues merged all due to him. Still one of the best arms, quickest releases and beautiful long ball thrower. Namath to the league was much much more than passing %.

rags747

Reaction score
I don't think naming names would accomplish anything other than insulting the individuals named. It's only an opinion, not a testimony in court. Deion is one of the most arrogant men to ever play the game, but I don't think he's wrong here. HoF should be reserved for people whose play either changed the way the game is played, or simply outplayed the rest, IMO.
Yep agreed and notice he never had any issues with drugs etc. For all of his outspoken personality and antics he was a pretty clean dude. Not everyone is Vanilla and I’m quite fine with that.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Ole Prime Time has it right. Eli is not a hall of famer. If they put him in there for beating The Brady Bunch, they might as well induct Foles and Flacco. It makes about as much sense.

Plunkett is the only quarterback with two super bowl wins to not be inducted. o_O

zeroburrito

Reaction score
He was only so good because he was playing the wrong position. He was a wide receiver playing cb. Most cbs are failed receivers. Being able to catch is massive for a cb.

GMO415

Reaction score
Eli before Plunkett, and I'm a no on Eli.

Plunkett was never All Pro over even Pro Bowl. The only season stats he ever led the league in was INTs, Sack Yardage, and Y/C, one year each.
Come on now......Jim's got two SB wins from a prominent team of his decade. The story of the NFL can't be told without the Raider's. Man deserves respect

dckid

Reaction score
His comments are not invalid. That’s his opinion, one held by MANY Dallas fans. While he DID create the concept of shutdown corner, for many that’s just not enough.
Lol.
Deion might be the greatest player
Look up Dick “Night Train” Lane and educate yourselves, regarding what a 100% do-it-all CB really was/is.
No you can look him up. 1952-1965 the years he played says it all. You can’t even compare players from the 50-60’s to a modern athlete like Deion.

blur2122

Reaction score
Deion is the best CB I've ever seen, and it's not even close (been watching since the 80s, can't really comment on players before that). Like Aikman said in an earlier post, QBs wouldn't even look at him because they knew a bad throw meant a pick & quite possibly a pick 6. Playing against him while he was on the Falcons and 49ers was a nightmare.

A couple of other quick notes: Let's not quickly forget in '96 Deion was the first (and only) full time, two way player since Chuck Bednarik, who retired in 1962. In addition to being a shut-down corner, Deion caught 36 passes on 67 targets. I remember games where he hardly seemed to come off of the field except for special teams. No one has come close to replicating that since.

Also re "Deion couldn't/wouldn't tackle": 512 career tackles (254 solo). No one would argue that tackling was Deion's strength, and at best he was a wrap-up tackler. But the guy made a lot of tackles during the course of his career.