PFT: Eagles believe Jordan Davis can have a role rushing the passer

Chuck 54

Reaction score
All hype, dude's going to be a bust :flagwave:
We're going to own his fat *** :laugh:
Go Cowboys!!! :flagwave:
I won’t go that far, but here’s what I keep coming back to. I know Georgia had great depth at DT, but really? If the guy was even half of what the hype has been after his combine workout, would he really have been in such a heavy rotation to where he didn’t actually play that much? If he had that size and speed and could convert it to pass rush, wouldn’t we have seen it in his college production? Hell, he would have been picked in the top 5. The reality is that he was never discussed that high in round one until after the combine because everyone was shocked. Why? Because it wasn’t seen on the field.

Now he will have a 17 game season playing against better guards and tackles than he saw last season. I expect him to be a very good DT, but I don’t see him ever being the pass rusher that Fletcher Cox has been.
The Eagles traded up, and no one thinks it was for DT, but they saw the 3 best receivers go 1,2,3 right before their new selection that they gave up 4 picks for.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Davis' pass rush technique is much more raw than Smith's pass blocking technique. And that's a guy who went to Alabama compared to an OL that went to Tulsa.
His technique may be more raw but if it's overpowering he will get the job done by either drawing a penalty or collapsing the pocket

Blackrain

Reaction score
Will he be another Wilfork? Probably not. Will he be better than average? Probably.
Will he overpower our weak center that we should have upgraded in free agency

Better than average chance it happens

Flamma

Reaction score
Will he overpower our weak center that we should have upgraded in free agency

Better than average chance it happens

At worst for Dallas he occupies both the center and our rookie. If he's close to as good as they say he is, no way it will be just our center. But that would be what the Eagles want from him. That would be helping the pass rush without having to get any sacks himself.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He might be. All players decline at some point. Teams weren't lining up to acquire him in a trade.

Problem with trading for him is you have to take the albatross of a contract NYG gave him

FB_IMG_1653111392088.jpg.851ea8c801ae33887207b334dd3cc3ab.jpg

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You don't trade cap hits only the salary.

but cap hit reflects guarantees which is indicative of full contract size. He was on NYG’s books for nearly 25m$, and had fully guaranteed money that would have offset had they traded him

kskboys

Reaction score
It isn't even close. But they have the draft capital to change that next season. But lets not get ahead of ourselves. This is all on paper. Let's see how good Davis actually is. Let's see how much their oft injured rookie LB works out. Or the CB playing opposite Slay. Their D sucked last year. Are they going to make the leap Dallas made? That's not a common thing.
Their D was 10th.

kskboys

Reaction score
I won’t go that far, but here’s what I keep coming back to. I know Georgia had great depth at DT, but really? If the guy was even half of what the hype has been after his combine workout, would he really have been in such a heavy rotation to where he didn’t actually play that much? If he had that size and speed and could convert it to pass rush, wouldn’t we have seen it in his college production? Hell, he would have been picked in the top 5. The reality is that he was never discussed that high in round one until after the combine because everyone was shocked. Why? Because it wasn’t seen on the field.

Now he will have a 17 game season playing against better guards and tackles than he saw last season. I expect him to be a very good DT, but I don’t see him ever being the pass rusher that Fletcher Cox has been.
The Eagles traded up, and no one thinks it was for DT, but they saw the 3 best receivers go 1,2,3 right before their new selection that they gave up 4 picks for.
Most mocks had him going 10-20 in the 1st round pre-combine.

kskboys

Reaction score
That D got zero pressure on the QB. Their offense was a heavy run offense for the entire 2nd half of the year. Keep away is good defense too.
Top 5 in generating pressure. So, that's not accurate. Bottom 5 in sacks. Need a finisher.

Flamma

Reaction score
Top 5 in generating pressure. So, that's not accurate. Bottom 5 in sacks. Need a finisher.

I'll be honest, I didn't watch the games they played against trash teams like Detroit. Just games against teams like Tampa, KC, 49ers.....

I didn't see any consistent pressure. They were carved up when they only sent 4. Also keep in mind that in today's game only having 2.5 seconds to throw the ball is considered hurried. Most QBs can't handle real pressure.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I didn't watch the games they played against trash teams like Detroit. Just games against teams like Tampa, KC, 49ers.....

I didn't see any consistent pressure. They were carved up when they only sent 4. Also keep in mind that in today's game only having 2.5 seconds to throw the ball is considered hurried. Most QBs can't handle real pressure.
I looked it up. To determine something like this on my own, I'd have to watch every Eagles game. That is a resounding NO!!!!!!

Eagles have bears inside in Cox and Hargrave. Adding Davis to that mix is just bad. They really don't need him to do much except come in and disrupt for around 30% of the snaps. And that's what he does best.

Graham getting hurt just killed their outside pass rush. Sweat is getting better, but all they needed to get into the top 5 in D was gets some edge rushers. Sooooo, did they? Not that I know of. It appears they're depending completely on Sweat developing further and Brandon Graham coming back from the achilles injury. Or maybe some guys on the roster developing? I honestly don't know, but if I were them I'd have used those 3 firsts much better, using them to get Thibideaux.

Flamma

Reaction score
I looked it up. To determine something like this on my own, I'd have to watch every Eagles game. That is a resounding NO!!!!!!

Eagles have bears inside in Cox and Hargrave. Adding Davis to that mix is just bad. They really don't need him to do much except come in and disrupt for around 30% of the snaps. And that's what he does best.

Graham getting hurt just killed their outside pass rush. Sweat is getting better, but all they needed to get into the top 5 in D was gets some edge rushers. Sooooo, did they? Not that I know of. It appears they're depending completely on Sweat developing further and Brandon Graham coming back from the achilles injury. Or maybe some guys on the roster developing? I honestly don't know, but if I were them I'd have used those 3 firsts much better, using them to get Thibideaux.

The Eagles could definitely give us a problem. But it's because of us, not how great they are. Regardless of how good the Eagles are, they're not going deep into the playoffs. If you could just stack a team and draft a QB in the 2nd round and win a championship, everyone would do it. Yeah the Eagles could win the division if we're not that good. Big deal. They're not going anywhere with that QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Eagles could definitely give us a problem. But it's because of us, not how great they are. Regardless of how good the Eagles are, they're not going deep into the playoffs. If you could just stack a team and draft a QB in the 2nd round and win a championship, everyone would do it. Yeah the Eagles could win the division if we're not that good. Big deal. They're not going anywhere with that QB.
Yup.

My biggest fear is that Hurts gets injured and they bring in Carson Strong.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
What makes him a lot better? I'm dying to know because I don't see it watching his tape.
You must be watching the wrong tapes. He won the Chuck Bednarik Award and Outland Trophy, named defensive player of the year.

Ken

Reaction score
Most people who watch tape cannot evaluate what they are seeing.
You can find about 3 plays that show this type of athleticism.

Otherwise, he doesn't play like this very often at all.