News: PFT: Federal judge reinstates Ezekiel Elliott suspension

links18

Reaction score
Simply showing conflict of interest is not enough. You have to prove that her thought process was impacted by said relationship. The person in question is an insurance partner with the firm, not on the financial/legal side that would have worked on the CBA. It's actually fairly difficult to prove conflict of interest.

A judicial officer should recuse themselves whenever there is a potential appearance of conflict.

khiladi

Reaction score
They’d still make billions without him.

Is that why they needed him to get the Rams in LA? Is that why they followed him regarding naming rights regarding stadiums and leasing agreements when all owners were opposing it at the time? Is that why his stadium set the precedent for every other team to follow ?

links18

Reaction score
Judges see the world through a particular perspective as we all do. Just witness the 2000 election controversy between Al Gore and George Bush.

I get that, but what harm was there in continuing the injunction until trial?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Being guilty of DV under the NFL PC Policy is not necessarily being called a “ women beater” as might be defined under the criminal justice system.

Basically the decision by the commissioners office is there was enough evidence to determine a violation which has a wide latitude.

I don’t assume he’s a women beater. I only assume there was enough evidence something happened to come to a conclusion it violated the policy.

How is being guilty of DV under the personal conduct policy not being called a woman beater? That's just semantics. He was accused of beating up a woman and the NFL said it found reason to believe that he did it.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
This decision has deflated me. It's sad. I can deal with this much better if I knew he had a fair hearing with such a serious accusation. Football aside, with this ruling, this says Zeke is guilty when in fact the Columbus Police Department never filed charges on him due to inconsistencies of the accuser's story. Then, when the NFL investigates and the only person to interview the accuser says there are inconsistencies, how can you suspend him? Some will say that Article 46 gives the NFL that right. Well, that says they can pick and choose what they want to allow and what they don't. It says if they want to take down any player, they can...as long as he's been accused of something. In our country...that's not fair or right. It makes me not want to watch football anymore. Maybe because I'm a diehard Cowboys fan and been one since '77. But, I'm also one to believe right is right and wrong is wrong....no matter who you are. Reading all the documents from the courts and from the documents from Columbus and talking to friends from Ohio that knew Zeke personally (I'm originally from Ohio), I don't think Zeke did it. I believe he was a victim of a scorned woman who was out for revenge because she could no longer be in his circle. But, only people who know the real truth of what happened is Zeke and Ms. Thompson. I'm sorry...I had to vent.

links18

Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm talking purely about arguing it in court.

Federal procedure appears to require a judicial officer to recuse themselves whenever their impartiality might reasonably be questioned. There doesn't need to be an actual conflict or bias.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Being guilty of DV under the NFL PC Policy is not necessarily being called a “ women beater” as might be defined under the criminal justice system.

Basically the decision by the commissioners office is there was enough evidence to determine a violation which has a wide latitude.

I don’t assume he’s a women beater. I only assume there was enough evidence something happened to come to a conclusion it violated the policy.
You must have just been born a few days ago if you believe that stuff you posted.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is that why they needed him to get the Rams in LA? Is that why they followed him regarding naming rights regarding stadiums and leasing agreements when all owners were opposing it at the time? Is that why his stadium set the precedent for every other team to follow ?
I didn’t say they wouldn’t be making less but they did just fine before he came along and would have survived without him.

And the game might not be as focused and as revolving around the revenue without him. I’m not sure the increased revenue has made the NFL a better game.. just more profitable . Like the Cowboys.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Federal procedure appears to require a judicial officer to recuse themselves whenever their impartiality might reasonably be questioned. There doesn't need to be an actual conflict or bias.
At first I thought it was a specious connection and rolled my eyes but then I looked into it. Proskauer is very highly ingrained in sports law, representing all the professional leagues in a wide variety of instances. Michael McCann called them "the most powerful law firm in sports."

"There are a handful of law firms that strike fear in the sports world. None, though, is quite like Proskauer Rose. The New York-based firm has represented all of the major sports leagues -- NBA, WNBA, NFL, NHL, Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer -- produced two commissioners (David Stern and Gary Bettman) and trained a legion of attorneys to outmaneuver players' advocates. Many Proskauer attorneys eventually work for leagues, teams or key companies in sports. To the extent professional sports connects to one law firm, it's Proskauer." - Michael McCann, writing for Sports Illustrated

If the individual is indeed her husband (and it would be a very strange name-coincidence if he wasn't) then yes, there is indeed an apparent conflict of interest. I wonder why Elliott's counsel didn't ask for recusal.

Last edited:

BRoni

Reaction score
Because in the end, he's not going to win...should have served the six games to start the season and moved on....

Maybe you are right, but if I was innocent I would fight until there weren’t any further options. This isn’t something you just accept when you are in Zeke’s position.

khiladi

Reaction score
I didn’t say they wouldn’t be making less but they did just fine before he came along and would have survived without him.

And the game might not be as focused and as revolving around the revenue without him. I’m not sure the increased revenue has made the NFL a better game.. just more profitable . Like the Cowboys.

I agree, it’s dampened the effects but owners care about money and profits and Jerry increases profits for them significantly...