News: PFT: Federal judge reinstates Ezekiel Elliott suspension

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You must have just been born a few days ago if you believe that stuff you posted.
This is why a PC Policy was needed. Because many of these charges won’t be prosecuted.

The NFL wanted a mechanism in place to discipline their players to provide a perception the league was sensitive to these issues in an attempt to protect the leagues image.

Being found guilty of DV under the NFL PC Policy doesn’t mean they are a “ women beater”. But there was enough evidence to administer the suspension . Big difference . I’m not sure all fans understand the difference?

Like I said. The core issue is with the PC Policy. Once you fully understand it’s intention you’ll better understand the decision.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
"You are suspended young man!"
Katherine-Polk-Failla-Article-201605131541.jpg

:thumbdown:

Edit: Just to clarify this post...I don't like her decision one bit.
Check out the bottom feeder feeler warts on that chin,,,,Sheese.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree, it’s dampened the effects but owners care about money and profits and Jerry increases profits for them significantly...
Yep.

They’re all billionaires anyway. I’m not sure the additional revenue is always worth the negative attention owners like Jerry present.

Ghost12

Reaction score
She should have recused herself. She should have known better. There is a code of judicial ethics for a reason.
I am not disagreeing with you, just noting that an attorney should not rely on a judge to just come out and voluntarily do such a thing. It is something they should have asked for, unless perhaps they thought this judge was a "good draw" in which case they could not have been more mistaken.

Western

Reaction score
Mere appearance of impropriety should trigger recusal.

Code of Conduct – US District Judges:
Canon 2: A Judge Should Avoid Impropriety and the Appearance of Impropriety in all Activities
(B) Outside Influence. A judge should not allow family, social, political, financial, or other relationships to influence judicial conduct or judgment.

New York Judicial Code of Conduct:
Section 100.2 A judge shall avoid impropriety and the appearance of impropriety in all of the judge's activities.
(B) A judge shall not allow family, social, political or other relationships to influence the judge's judicial conduct or judgment.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Mere appearance of impropriety should trigger recusal.

Code of Conduct – US District Judges:
Canon 2: A Judge Should Avoid Impropriety and the Appearance of Impropriety in all Activities
(B) Outside Influence. A judge should not allow family, social, political, financial, or other relationships to influence judicial conduct or judgment.

New York Judicial Code of Conduct:
Section 100.2 A judge shall avoid impropriety and the appearance of impropriety in all of the judge's activities.
(B) A judge shall not allow family, social, political or other relationships to influence the judge's judicial conduct or judgment.
the NFLPA had 2 weeks to do their due diligence on Failla, that ship has sailed imo

what an epic fail by Kessler and co.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Or they are using this for appeal. Maybe they were hoping she’d rule in favor originally. Now they have reason to get decision thrown out. In which case TRO likely reinstated
doubtful, this is 2nd Circuit CA in New York with Brady precedent. If the judge doesn't initiate recusal on their own it's up to the attorneys and pretty sure the 2CA judges will see it that way

you may be right in that Kessler was confident Failla would rule in favor of NFLPA and that's the reason he didn't challenge for recusal, but in hindsight was a pretty dumb gamble

EGTuna

Reaction score
Seems like anything at this point is a hail mary. Such a bummer that the process failed Zeke. Not just for these 6 Cowboy games, but since he's maintained his innocence (and nothing's come out to dispute that imo), his name and his bank account are going to suffer ostensibly unjustly.

revospeed

Reaction score
Studying for the MPRE right now and listening to the Barbri lecture over judicial ethics. The lecturer said, "A judge MUST disqualify him or herself where their impartiality could reasonably be questioned, unless parties remit." Applications for this: personal bias, prior involvement in case, when former partner or close relative is a party attorney or witness in proceeding, economic interests in case, public statements by judge that pidgeon hole them into a particular position.

Doesn't sound like the judge would have to recuse herself just because her husband formerly represented a party in the case. I dunno though.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Studying for the MPRE right now and listening to the Barbri lecture over judicial ethics. The lecturer said, "A judge MUST disqualify him or herself where their impartiality could reasonably be questioned, unless parties remit." Applications for this: personal bias, prior involvement in case, when former partner or close relative is a party attorney or witness in proceeding, economic interests in case, public statements by judge that pidgeon hole them into a particular position.

Doesn't sound like the judge would have to recuse herself just because her husband formerly represented a party in the case. I dunno though.

He is a partner, which means she has economic interests.

revospeed

Reaction score
He is a partner, which means she has economic interests.

Could be. The economic interest extends to family members as well. I dunno if his firm is still representing the NFL though. If it's a past case, then there shouldn't be an economic interest anymore.

TheHerd

Reaction score
That's not capitalism...in any sense.

In my experience that capitalism in actual practice. I'm one rung down from the 1%, so I've seen the 1% protect each other with grotesque money and power benefits among each other at the expense of the rest of us many, many times in corporate America. I'm not proposing a better solution, and I'm not on food stamps nor begging for sympathy, but capitalism in practice breeds corruption and exploitation.