Video: PFT: Is Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach the best Cowboys QB ever?

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Are we looking at QB body of work or team body of work?

Roger and Tony were the 2 best, period.

Aikman is well in a distant 3rd. And I might could argue he's 4th and Danny white is 3rd.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
None of that means anything.

Teams take teams to wins/championships, not QBs

I only care about how well the QB actually played.
I saw Aikman and can judge that. I saw the litany of garbage after Aikman and can judge that. I saw Romo and now Dak and can judge that.
I saw a tiny bit of pre-Aikman, but was too young to remember it and can't judge it fairly.
I've only seen highlights of Staubach, White, etc. so I can't really make fair judgments.

Well, if going by how they played, Staubach had better ability to scramble and elude sacks. They called him Roger the Dodger for a reason.

Aikman was only able to stay sack-free because of how great his offensive line was. When his O-line was subpar, he was absolutely hammered. The guy was a prototypical statue-esque pocket passer. Like a Rolex wristwatch, he was great when everything was working just right, but when something failed, he often couldn't overcome it.

But Aikman was a more precise passer than Staubach. He was noted for impeccable timing throws and dropping things into precise windows, right into the hands of the WRs.

All in all, though, if you swapped things around, I think Staubach would have won four Super Bowls with the 1990s Cowboys whereas Aikman might have won just one with the 1970s Cowboys.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
None of that means anything.

Teams take teams to wins/championships, not QBs

I only care about how well the QB actually played.
I saw Aikman and can judge that. I saw the litany of garbage after Aikman and can judge that. I saw Romo and now Dak and can judge that.
I saw a tiny bit of pre-Aikman, but was too young to remember it and can't judge it fairly.
I've only seen highlights of Staubach, White, etc. so I can't really make fair judgments.

So you think the Pats are winning titles if they had Dak instead of Brady the past 15 years?

CowboysRule

Reaction score
tony_romo.jpg

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So you think the Pats are winning titles if they had Dak instead of Brady the past 15 years?
That's quite the logical jump.

No. Brady is far an away a better player than Dak. The players on the Pats would not be as good. The team would not be as good.
There are certainly other QBs in the league that I could see the Pats winning all those titles with, however. Just not one on the level of Dak.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's quite the logical jump.

No. Brady is far an away a better player than Dak. The players on the Pats would not be as good. The team would not be as good.
There are certainly other QBs in the league that I could see the Pats winning all those titles with, however. Just not one on the level of Dak.
I was responding to the point saying that "Teams," win SB not QBs. While it takes a team, there are certaily reasons why QBs like Bradshaw, Brady, Staubach, Aikman, Montana, Manning, all won multiple SB titles. If you have GREATNESS behind center, you have a great shot every season at winning a SB. The rest of the players are not nearly as important.... not that they arent important, but wether you had LB x or LBy will not be the reason you do or do not win a title.

Enter in HOF qb..... yeah, its likely THE reason you wona sb. Maybe not the specific SB game is why, but through the course of that 19 games or so it took to win it, yeah, that QB was THE reason why. Are there exceptions? yeah, 85 bears, 2000 ravens, that Bucs team.... always an exception if you happened to have a GREAT... all time great defense, but there are only about 6 of those.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Are we looking at QB body of work or team body of work?

Roger and Tony were the 2 best, period.

Aikman is well in a distant 3rd. And I might could argue he's 4th and Danny white is 3rd.
You can argue whatever you want. You’d still be wrong. Ridiculously wrong.

Hardline

Reaction score
Statistically Danny White compares.
It's a damn shame he couldn't pull out a Super Bowl championship.
To me it's more heartbreaking than Romo not getting one.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I was responding to the point saying that "Teams," win SB not QBs. While it takes a team, there are certaily reasons why QBs like Bradshaw, Brady, Staubach, Aikman, Montana, Manning, all won multiple SB titles. If you have GREATNESS behind center, you have a great shot every season at winning a SB. The rest of the players are not nearly as important.... not that they arent important, but wether you had LB x or LBy will not be the reason you do or do not win a title.

Enter in HOF qb..... yeah, its likely THE reason you wona sb. Maybe not the specific SB game is why, but through the course of that 19 games or so it took to win it, yeah, that QB was THE reason why. Are there exceptions? yeah, 85 bears, 2000 ravens, that Bucs team.... always an exception if you happened to have a GREAT... all time great defense, but there are only about 6 of those.

Great QBs on a garbage team will not win. They do not have a shot. Great teams with a garbage QB? No shot. Great teams with a mediocre QB or Mediocre teams with a Great QB - rarely have a shot, but it happens.

It usually requires at least a good team AND a good QB.

The rest of the players >>>>>> one QB.

The QB is the most important SINGLE position. The rest of the team combined dwarfs the QB.

There is never a THE reason for winning or losing. EVER.

Winning is the sum of the whole of the team.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think Prescott is going to turn out to be better than all of them. But I've never missed a game Rodger Staubach or Troy Aikman. Troy Aikman was mr. Accuracy. Rodger the Dodger need I say more
:laugh::lmao::lmao2:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Staubach.
But he wouldn't have last playing against the players Aikman did.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The #12 ,out of a 10 year body of work,had compiled one hell of a solid win/loss ratio as compared to the #8 or the #9's overall games played/won/lost.

( iirc, from checking out those particular cowboy q.b.stats 3or 4 months back,I recall Rogers numbers jumped right out at me):starspin:

Reaction score
Glenn Carano is the greatest quarterback the Cowboys have ever had. I mean, he did give us his beautiful daughter Gina.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
That was the year I wore a bag over my face when I watched the Boys on TV. lol
I know my wife&son (Bears/Bronco fans) seemingly derived great merriment & joyous glee in the heaping of their mocking ridicule upon me& my chosen team of fandom,,,OH,YES!o_O
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’m a Diehard Cowboy fan. The players, coaches and owners are all interchangeable parts. I’m only loyal to the Star. Which was much as it was for all local fans. They were the team in our own backyard. I could almost ride my bike to the stadium as a kid just minutes from the house.

My mother sewed me my first Cowboy gear with White numbers #12 on a blue sweatshirt as gear wasn’t available then. I met Roger 1st time his Rookie year at the local mall for an autograph session and besides Landry’s autograph on my SB 13 program my most prized possession.
A true sense of the word fan... fanatic. I grew up two hours away from Texas Stadium but I still made the trip with my family often to see my team play. Back in those days, all we had was black and white TV so the TV broadcast never did the game justice. I took it upon myself to memorize every name and jersey number on the Cowboys roster.

My mother later used my enthusiasm for the Cowboys to help me learn my multiplication tables. For example... Walt Garrison was 8 X 4. Roger Staubach was 3 X 4 and 2 X 6. She made me flashcards with these things on them. I learn my multiplication tables long before my school ever require me to. I wasn't able to visit a training camp until I got much older. My first was in Witchita Falls where I managed to get Troy Aikman's autograph.