News: PFT: Jerry Jones buys Dallas energy company for $2.2 billion

JayFord

Reaction score
I mistaked the title and thought he bought 2.2 billion dollars worth of energy drinks

gmoney112

Reaction score
I've actually got a few rigs in the Haynesville. Jerry's smart, natty gas isn't going anywhere for a while, especially exports exports exports. I think I'll need to get on the producers of my wells to go and do some tertiary recovery before Jerry drains it all. Jerry is like Daniel Day Lewis in "There Will Be Blood".

Also alot of armchair energy professionals in here who probably can't even explain to the class a high level overview of obvious trends in generation, especially risk.

I'll give you a hint. TX gets about 25% of its generation from renewables right now. We have about 80+GW of renewable projects in the interconnection queue, y o y could they be evaluating risk in a world of ever falling storage prices? Keywords, counterparties, off-take, merchant. You know how much $$ is watching this closely? Billions. Tens of billions. Every damn developer/counterparty/major worth half a ****. In the interim we're going to see gas peakers turn into an endangered species within 5 years, and CCGT will start to see encroachment, especially in new financing. This isn't speculation, this is a near damn certainty by anyone whose *** is on the line. Welcome to 2019.

The energy transition is happening faster than anyone even thought. I was trained by long time professionals at multiple majors, if even 5 years ago you saw this coming, you'd be a lying liar. It really has just started. Europe pushed the offshore strike prices down so much we're going to see 15-20GW offshore massive wind parks in the NE over the next decade from NY down to SC competitive or even cheaper than natty gas over lifetime. Floating turbines coming to the West/NW. The SW and Texas still haven't even boomed solar, but they will.

People have no idea what's going on. But, it's actually a pretty great story on human ingenuity, and while the US has largely sat out from innovation, we'll likely be the ones who create the next-generation wind turbine components that are pretty incredible. Utility scale wind, offshore wind, and solar is going to keep happening because of economics. And those are only getting better. Solar has a ton of room to grow, a step change is going to bring a goldmine to TX residential.

You want to make 200k a year in Texas? Watch the solar tech, residential improvements, and possibly policy implementations. It's coming. If you're willing to put in a little legwork, you can work sporadically just talking to people and quite literally not have to worry about a damn thing. The bigs know it's coming, but the residential market isn't nearly saturated with smart people yet. The potential is absolutely enormous.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I've actually got a few rigs in the Haynesville. Jerry's smart, natty gas isn't going anywhere for a while, especially exports exports exports. I think I'll need to get on the producers of my wells to go and do some tertiary recovery before Jerry drains it all. Jerry is like Daniel Day Lewis in "There Will Be Blood".

Also alot of armchair energy professionals in here who probably can't even explain to the class a high level overview of obvious trends in generation, especially risk.

I'll give you a hint. TX gets about 25% of its generation from renewables right now. We have about 80+GW of renewable projects in the interconnection queue, y o y could they be evaluating risk in a world of ever falling storage prices? Keywords, counterparties, off-take, merchant. You know how much $$ is watching this closely? Billions. Tens of billions. Every damn developer/counterparty/major worth half a ****. In the interim we're going to see gas peakers turn into an endangered species within 5 years, and CCGT will start to see encroachment, especially in new financing. This isn't speculation, this is a near damn certainty by anyone whose *** is on the line. Welcome to 2019.

The energy transition is happening faster than anyone even thought. I was trained by long time professionals at multiple majors, if even 5 years ago you saw this coming, you'd be a lying liar. It really has just started. Europe pushed the offshore strike prices down so much we're going to see 15-20GW offshore massive wind parks in the NE over the next decade from NY down to SC competitive or even cheaper than natty gas over lifetime. Floating turbines coming to the West/NW. The SW and Texas still haven't even boomed solar, but they will.

People have no idea what's going on. But, it's actually a pretty great story on human ingenuity, and while the US has largely sat out from innovation, we'll likely be the ones who create the next-generation wind turbine components that are pretty incredible. Utility scale wind, offshore wind, and solar is going to keep happening because of economics. And those are only getting better. Solar has a ton of room to grow, a step change is going to bring a goldmine to TX residential.

You want to make 200k a year in Texas? Watch the solar tech, residential improvements, and possibly policy implementations. It's coming. If you're willing to put in a little legwork, you can work sporadically just talking to people and quite literally not have to worry about a damn thing. The bigs know it's coming, but the residential market isn't nearly saturated with smart people yet. The potential is absolutely enormous.
* if anybody even had a clue as to what technologies good ol' Uncle Sam is sitting on& keeping to themselves, the masses would yard out the torches & pitchforks,,, considering they've fielded that SR-71 spy plane back in 1964, had a speed of 2,200 mph/ceiling of 85,000' & titanium hide on it to withstand generated friction temps of + 900° F,,,back in 1964

Whyjerry

Reaction score
They are no where near as viable as fossil feuls right now .

I know a thing or 2 about the Energy sector. This company is one of many struggling E&Ps. Jerry bought it because the company needs capital and he got a good deal. It is a tired story from 2014 the cost of production relative to the cost of a barrel of oil relative to the availability of capital doesn’t work for these firms hence it is a fire sale. Jerry made his fortune on these.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Stephen is handling the business side of football so Jerry needs something to play with.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
One we have those electric 747's airborne say goodbye to fossil fuels:

"This is your captain speaking, I'm getting a "low battery" alarm so we're diverting to the nearest airport so we can plug it awhile."

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

I love you're post, man!
As I've sometimes wondered just what the "G" signified,,,I'm thinking I'm close in either natural gas or geologist, anyway cool post& I'm at a loss in my understanding as to why the natural motion of the ocean hasn't been further exploited by means of wave generators to produce electricity along coastal regions & especially islands.

Birdgang

Reaction score
If they choose to start making switches it will go hybrid before going full electric. They have some badass cars now. Hell even formula one is using it. A kinetic energy recovery system "KERS" is some cool stuff.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I know someone who bought a Tesla. Of course they say they love it. But it is one of those things you have to say you love it because you spent so much money on it you don't want to admit you may have made a mistake.
Now I can't say they don't want to admit it. But as they describe about having to stop and recharge it if on a long trip, or even local driving. Sometimes the charge time is way too long or have to wait. Maybe they don't mind waiting.
They ordered it, was told it may be about a year to get it. But then they had it ready in 6 months. This was a year or so ago.

There are a lot of charging stations supposedly but some times it can take up to 2 hours. Sometimes 30 minutes. It depends on the station. So if on a trip or vacation, what are you going to do for 2 hours.
What if you need to run to the store and then be somewhere in 15 minutes. Oh, I have to let it charge up. I can see where it could be a big inconvenience at times.
For me, just can't hop in the car, gas it up and get going. For now, someday they will have it to much shorter time and maybe even travel longer distances.

Maybe a solar powered car can be the answer. :laugh:
My Brother-in-law bought the Model S Tesla. I had to snicker a little when I had to go pick him up across town because his 90K car had to be charged. I'm not really interested until the range increases significantly. That auto-drive thing was freaky. I couldn't bring myself to take my hands off the wheel very long when he let me drive it. Great acceleration though and it was weird to not hear the engine rev.

dstew60105

Reaction score
Comstock is Jerry’s company. He’s invested 1.1 billion in his own company. Comstock is buying another company for 2.2 billion. That purchase is being supported by money Jerry put into Comstock as well as financing and other third party investments.

Comstock is publicly traded. Jerry is their largest shareholder.