News: PFT: Jourdan Lewis says new Cowboys staff has given cornerbacks "a clean slate"

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. I am not a Chido fan at all. Guy is Mr Apathetic out there. Zero dawg in him.

Really? Seemed to me he can hit pretty hard when given the opportunity. At least his 1st few years, not so much last year. He needs to learn, as all the DB's do, to turn their head back to the ball.
Chido seemed to have the worst luck of some very accurate passes, that were completed on him. I hope the new staff can correct that.

I am not high on that, but not writing him off either. When Lewis says clean slate for the CB's. I have a clean slate for most players on the team. With the exception of Crawford, for what he brings or does not bring, for his pay. However if he stays, I won't complain either. Well, it depends who gets cut to keep him, then may complain a little.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think it is as simple as returning a favor, MM would be stupid to hire a bad DC just to return a favor.
I think they just want to work together again, and nolan will run the type defense MM wants to have.

Sometimes people work better and do better if they are working with certain people they like.

The trust factor also.
Even in a business, a smart owner or manager trust his people to do the right thing and work. Then they can oversee things much easier. They put together a good group of people, and train them correctly or hire them already trained but fit into the style of the group.

Jimmy Johnson did a great job with this as well. He brought in people he could trust. And if he hired someone, but could improve he did.
David Shula was the OC, but after a few years, it was not going the way he wanted. Shula's offense didn't really suit Aikman's strengths or so it seemed, IIRC.
Now I can't remember if Jimmy fired Shula, or if he left on his own, or a mutual parting.

Then he brought in Norv Turner, who learned under Ernie Zampese, who recommended him to Jimmy. I believe he was the WR coach for the Rams under Ernie at the time.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys got some really GOOD defensive backs in this years draft not only from picks but UDFA as well. They went young. Look out for them in the coming years. It will be hard to throw against them.

Yes they seem to have some actual depth as well. It will be some good TC competition or should be. Just hope we as fans, have not over evaluated them as we normally do. On paper especially. Since we have not seen any OTA's yet.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The trust factor also.
Even in a business, a smart owner or manager trust his people to do the right thing and work. Then they can oversee things much easier. They put together a good group of people, and train them correctly or hire them already trained but fit into the style of the group.

Jimmy Johnson did a great job with this as well. He brought in people he could trust. And if he hired someone, but could improve he did.
David Shula was the OC, but after a few years, it was not going the way he wanted. Shula's offense didn't really suit Aikman's strengths or so it seemed, IIRC.
Now I can't remember if Jimmy fired Shula, or if he left on his own, or a mutual parting.

Then he brought in Norv Turner, who learned under Ernie Zampese, who recommended him to Jimmy. I believe he was the WR coach for the Rams under Ernie at the time.
true, and jimmy if something wasnt working , he didnt wait years to make a change, he would just do it.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Really? Seemed to me he can hit pretty hard when given the opportunity. At least his 1st few years, not so much last year. He needs to learn, as all the DB's do, to turn their head back to the ball.
Chido seemed to have the worst luck of some very accurate passes, that were completed on him. I hope the new staff can correct that.

I am not high on that, but not writing him off either. When Lewis says clean slate for the CB's. I have a clean slate for most players on the team. With the exception of Crawford, for what he brings or does not bring, for his pay. However if he stays, I won't complain either. Well, it depends who gets cut to keep him, then may complain a little.

Exactly, I still remember the play he was one on one vs Marshawn Lynch and knocked him out of bounds. Lynch gave the harder hit but didn't gain any additional yardage. A lot of corners wouldn't have made that play.