News: PFT: Mike Nolan: Cowboys will strive to create more turnovers

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike Nolan: Cowboys will strive to create more turnovers

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptqzztiyzdy5yjc2njjlymyxndu2mjhkmtuynzg4yzg3.jpeg

Of the 12 teams that advanced to the playoffs this season, the Eagles were the only one who didn't rank in the top half of the league when it came to creating turnovers. The Cowboys did not f...

Read Full Story

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I watched his interview..

I'm a fan of his but his interview wasn't very convincing.

He is in a show me situation for a lot on this board and I understand that. I like how he calls defenses and I think with our front 7 he's going to make it tough on opposing QB's.

I just hope we don't lose Byron. That will be a big loss for any coach that wants to send heat at the QB.

Carson

Reaction score

He is in a show me situation for a lot on this board and I understand that. I like how he calls defenses and I think with our front 7 he's going to make it tough on opposing QB's.

I just hope we don't lose Byron. That will be a big loss for any coach that wants to send heat at the QB.

A great pass rush makes an average secondary look great :)

Not saying we have a great pass rush lol. Just saying they may invest up front

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I watched the interview too. And it struck me that he's looking for the opposite of what Byron is. I think you should worry.

His quote from Aikman echoes exactly what I've said about not re-signing Jones. Quarterbacks aren't afraid of corners who do nothing more that cause incompletions. They're afraid of the guys that can actually take the ball away. Let another team mistakenly pay $15 million a year for a non playmaker.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

I know you don't wanna hear this but ALL signals point to Byron Jones not returning. We are what, month and a half from free agency and not a word on trying to keep him. Hell Jerry even went out his way to throw Quinn a carrot but not Byron. Great leader, damn good player, just not a good fit for this D, especially for what he'll likely get on the open market.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know you don't wanna hear this but ALL signals point to Byron Jones not returning. We are what, month and a half from free agency and not a word on trying to keep him. Hell Jerry even went out his way to throw Quinn a carrot but not Byron. Great leader, damn good player, just not a good fit for this D, especially for what he'll likely get on the open market.

Maybe he was asked about Quinn and not Jones at the time, or that was the topic.
However I would not read too much at this time of year what is said or not said about certain players.
They may not have evaluated all the players in depth yet.

After the SB and especially after the combine right before FA, is the time, for me anyway to pay more attention. As that is when all the real BS starts. From the teams as well as the media / fan rumors. :muttley:
Jerry speak, if MM allows him with be at its highest. :lmao2:

quickccc

Reaction score

... which is exactly why we will NEVER strive for turnovers with Byron here.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

True. I’d love to keep Jones, but I think he’s gone and gets big money for doing so.

On the other hand, if Nolan can get our front seven after QBs, and get home, this will vastly improve our secondary. I think that’s what the FO is banking on, knowing Byron is likely out the door.

shabazz

Reaction score
Its been a long time since a Cowboys defense was called "Opportunistic".

quickccc

Reaction score
I watched the interview too. And it struck me that he's looking for the opposite of what Byron is. I think you should worry.

His quote from Aikman echoes exactly what I've said about not re-signing Jones. Quarterbacks aren't afraid of corners who do nothing more that cause incompletions. They're afraid of the guys that can actually take the ball away. Let another team mistakenly pay $15 million a year for a non playmaker.

If Byron leaves for the huge contract in FA, being a ex-1st rounder, starter for years and ex-All Pro, pro bowler, we get a likely 3rd round compensatory the following year,
but the bigger challenge will be actually replacing Byron as a starter, as he is a very solid man coverage starter (albeit not elite) and it's harder to successfully find
equally solid CB starters. It's not impossible but its hard task. We drafted two CB high in Awuzie and Lewis and they are ending up looking like average CBs. But that doesn't mean
we stop scouting and seeking out more CB candidates.

But yet we cannot be committed to dishing out elite type money long term to a guy that simply will never give us INTs, turnovers - which the better upper echelon CBs seems to be able to do.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
True. I’d love to keep Jones, but I think he’s gone and gets big money for doing so.

On the other hand, if Nolan can get our front seven after QBs, and get home, this will vastly improve our secondary. I think that’s what the FO is banking on, knowing Byron is likely out the door.

I agree but I would argue our pass rush was pretty good last year and the main problem was quick passing schemes with bend don’t break coverage.

Our Dline could get to the QB pretty quick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Byron leaves for the huge contract in FA, being a ex-1st rounder, starter for years and ex-All Pro, pro bowler, we get a likely 3rd round compensatory the following year,
but the bigger challenge will be actually replacing Byron as a starter, as he is a very solid man coverage starter (albeit not elite) and it's harder to successfully find
equally solid CB starters. It's not impossible but its hard task. We drafted two CB high in Awuzie and Lewis and they are ending up looking like average CBs. But that doesn't mean
we stop scouting and seeking out more CB candidates.

But yet we cannot be committed to dishing out elite type money long term to a guy that simply will never give us INTs, turnovers - which the better upper echelon CBs seems to be able to do.

I expect that they will pay Robert Quinn to keep their top two pass rusher intact.

And by doing so, they will have made the tough decision top let Byron Jones go.

At that point, it leaves the team with Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis as their two prospective starters for 2020. That's not ideal.

Then they either have to use a premium (first 3 rounds) draft pick, free agency, or both to rebuild the position.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I agree but I would argue our pass rush was pretty good last year and the main problem was quick passing schemes with bend don’t break coverage.

Our Dline could get to the QB pretty quick.

That’s one of the biggest things I hope Nolan changes. CB’s closer to the line of scrimmage. Pressing the receiver more often. Make the QB hold the ball an extra half second.