News: PFT: Mike Nolan: Cowboys will strive to create more turnovers

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I seriously don’t get what their big problem is. I don’t see the rest of the league struggle for so many years at this.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The Jones decision is a tough one, but a necessary one. It's funny how quickly the cornerback position went from a perceived strength to a huge question mark.
That and LB.
2 levels of the D.

Corso

Reaction score
I seriously don’t get what their big problem is. I don’t see the rest of the league struggle for so many years at this.
A weak, predictable scheme aimed at not being aggressive, but being conservative and hoping teams make their own mistakes on the way to hopefully a field goal.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
A weak, predictable scheme aimed at not being aggressive, but being conservative and hoping teams make their own mistakes on the way to hopefully a field goal.
Gosh I hated that guys defense. Soooooo happy new DC. You'd think a DC would change his ideas after that many years of failure. Not him though...let’s shake hands on drafting Hill!!

Corso

Reaction score
Gosh I hated that guys defense. Soooooo happy new DC. You'd think a DC would change his ideas after that many years of failure. Not him though...let’s shake hands on drafting Hill!!
And Garrett said nothing about anything that wasn't working.
And when he did his very minimum (getting a new kicker), Stevie-Boy tried to shoot ish down.
Interesting.

Gaede

Reaction score

Also, it seems the scouts and coaches have preferred size/speed players at the position, rather than pure ballhawks (who tend to be slower and/or smaller)

Chrispierce

Reaction score
And Garrett said nothing about anything that wasn't working.
And when he did his very minimum (getting a new kicker), Stevie-Boy tried to shoot ish down.
Interesting.
Yeah...that’s why I have concerns. Are they going to play favorites or let the HC pick his team?

Corso

Reaction score
Yeah...that’s why I have concerns. Are they going to play favorites or let the HC pick his team?
Good question.
I think Jason was set up to climb the highest mountain with no help.
He was set up to fail.

They are definitely going to try to set up this new staff for success.
For at least 1 3/4th seasons.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Good question.
I think Jason was set up to climb the highest mountain with no help.
He was set up to fail.

They are definitely going to try to set up this new staff for success.
For at least 1 3/4th seasons.
Yes...that’s how it starts. We get things in good shape and FO starts tinkering with the soup. I don’t know why,but they just can’t help it. A kicker of all things too....how silly that was.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I watched his interview..

I'm a fan of his but his interview wasn't very convincing.

He is in a show me situation for a lot on this board and I understand that. I like how he calls defenses and I think with our front 7 he's going to make it tough on opposing QB's.

I just hope we don't lose Byron. That will be a big loss for any coach that wants to send heat at the QB.

Ya if we lose Byron our turnovers will go down to nothing. Wait what??

:lmao:

ondaedg

Reaction score
lol imagine thinking the amount of INT's a corner gets is what really matters.

INTs are clearly not the only thing that matters. I just like to pick on Byron for having 2 career INTs on an end of half hail mary and a tipped ball.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
INTs are clearly not the only thing that matters. I just like to pick on Byron for having 2 career INTs on an end of half hail mary and a tipped ball.

He definitely needs to get more INT's but I like knowing that if we play Adams, Julio, or Michael Thomas that Byron is going to make their day very difficult.

The whole problem with INT's though is usually good corners aren't targeted much and getting just 3 or 4 picks a year is really good.

I'm not going to knock Byron because he doesn't intercept the ball 3 or 4 times.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other than going for the ball when making tackles or having the DL get their hands in the air to create tip drills, just how does he plan on doing this with this D? Think the previous coaches these DB's had didn't try to teach them ball skills?

Most of the "pickers" in the NFL showed that talent in college and the majority of DBs in the NFL lack that or we'd see a lot more picks than drops. I cannot recall a game when I didn't see DB drops of catchable balls.

Jones lack of picks is a concern for many here and they don't want to re-sign him because of that, I disagree. He's a good cover corner and the best one on the team. Good CB's are not as plentiful as other D positions. Want to make Jones better, get him better Safeties. It's not as much that Jones doesn't scare the QB's as the DAL secondary doesn't.

The picks are overrated as they happen infrequently. Not having the ball thrown to their guy, defensed passes and limiting YAC are the critical factors.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Other than going for the ball when making tackles or having the DL get their hands in the air to create tip drills, just how does he plan on doing this with this D? Think the previous coaches these DB's had didn't try to teach them ball skills?

Most of the "pickers" in the NFL showed that talent in college and the majority of DBs in the NFL lack that or we'd see a lot more picks than drops. I cannot recall a game when I didn't see DB drops of catchable balls.

Jones lack of picks is a concern for many here and they don't want to re-sign him because of that, I disagree. He's a good cover corner and the best one on the team. Good CB's are not as plentiful as other D positions. Want to make Jones better, get him better Safeties. It's not as much that Jones doesn't scare the QB's as the DAL secondary doesn't.

The picks are overrated as they happen infrequently. Not having the ball thrown to their guy, defensed passes and limiting YAC are the critical factors.

Let's keep in mind he is a very good cover corner but he's not a Revis. He got toasted a couple of times in our last playoff game and does get beat. That is why the lack of INTs comes up. Would love to keep him at a fair price though.