News: PFT: NFL attendance hits a 15-year low

tm1119

Reaction score
The title seems pretty accurate.

I was referring to all the people making posts about how the NFL is on its death bed. The NFL is alive and well and making more $ than ever. That’s all that counts, how they get their money is irrelevant to them. I don’t think it’s news that the NFL experience is better from your couch, we all knew this.

nobody

Reaction score
What's been said before about pricing and availability of tickets, but also...why go to a game if you aren't even reasonably sure you're going to see effort by both teams? I'm sure the Cowboys aren't the only bipolar team who flip a coin to see which version shows up, "the play hard" or the "ho hum"... I know if I dropped hundreds on tickets and saw the ho hum team, I'd be pissed as hell.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That's true but one of the reason could be people are more busy watching other entertainments and sports.

I see Bournemouth sliding down they are not doing great lately

Yeah.....we've been doing quite badly aside from beating Chelsea. We really need to pick up the pace and quickly.

And true. Others are probably watching other entertainment too. But that might be due to the cost lol.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If they decrease the ticket prices enough to fill the seats then they should more than make up the difference in concessions and parking...

I know, right? The prices for all that are outrageous! Parking is crazy (luckily, Chicago had a train and bus system I could use for that game). Concessions were embarrassingly bad and over priced. The food and drinks were cheaper and better value at Midwest FurFest than Soldier Field. I could get a big mug of root beer that i could refill the entirety of the time there for $8. A large soda at the game was about $6 and I don't think it was refillable. There weren't any refill stations where I walked through. Oh, and the food at the convention was much better! I waited till I got back to the con center to get something to eat. Just my experience from the last game I attended. It was fun, but it was much more expensive than the con.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I've gone to NFL games, I've had the experience, but nothing beats they comfort of my own home. I wouldn't go to a game if they gave me a ticket.

Let's Go HDTV:flagwave:

Yes, and next year when in Chicago, I'll have the comfort of watching the Cowboys surrounded by friends at the convention since we probably won't play the Bears in Chicago. I will probably go to games in the future. But I probably would've been better to stay at the con and watch the game there. Though, I did create my own fun at the game.

Redline360

Reaction score
75" tv.
Surround sound.
Comfy couch.
Cheap beer and food.
Bathroom 10 steps away
Redzone to watch all the games.
No drive home.
What else did I miss?

Exactly.

I live in NJ so just imagine the most horrible fans ever. Eagles fans are just pure trash and I will never go to an Eagles/ cowboys game.

Now the Giants fans aren't bad at all. I try to get to the game every year and enjoy tailgating alot. Never really seen any fights or etc. Hell I think there were more cowboys fans than Giants this year. Go Black cat!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Maybe if they'd lower the ticket prices, more people might go to the games. Just saying. I have a friend in San Francisco who won't go to an NFL game because it's so expensive even for nosebleed seats.

Also, should mention that I intended initially to have some friends of mine from England who were at the con with me tag along until we saw the prices. I went to the game, but yeah, they commented about the prices and asked if that was normal for the NFL.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Those attendance figures will change significantly once the Chargers move out of that minor-league soccer stadium they play in that seats only 27,000 (I think) into the new L.A. stadium.

That will probably be the case. However, I had loads of room next to me during the game. Behind me, I had several empty seats, and I had some to my left. My friends from England and a few others of us from the Convention that wanted to go could have filled those seats if not for the high prices. And this was a primetime game.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
NFL attendance hits a 15-year low

gettyimages-1186828240-e1578076066110.jpg

More people are watching the NFL on TV. Fewer people are watching the NFL in person. According to David Broughton and Andrew Levin of Sports Business Daily, the NFL averaged 66,648 attendees at hom...

Read Full Story
Thanks Mr Goodall

Your heavy handed treatment has finally born fruit

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
NFL attendance hits a 15-year low

gettyimages-1186828240-e1578076066110.jpg

More people are watching the NFL on TV. Fewer people are watching the NFL in person. According to David Broughton and Andrew Levin of Sports Business Daily, the NFL averaged 66,648 attendees at hom...

Read Full Story
The refs have made the games difficult to watch.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So you want them to rig stuff in their favor?

No. I want them to err on the side of caution when it comes to their biggest attraction. Maybe you don't get precedent-setting calls like the ones in both Green Bay playoff games if the officials are hesitant to make such standout calls against the Cowboys. Dallas still might not have won either game, but if officials hadn't overturned the Bryant catch (no irrefutable evidence) and had not called the rare too many men in the huddle call against Brice Butler, who knows what would have happened?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they decrease the ticket prices enough to fill the seats then they should more than make up the difference in concessions and parking...

90% of the the seats are already sold to season ticket holders. Why would any team reduce the prices. They are guaranteed that money regardless.
Most teams, including Jerry , the concessions and parking are contracted out They get their money guaranteed from that in spite of those sales.

ESisback

Reaction score
I see smaller stadiums coming, set up for the wealthy. The Shmoe’s money comes from TV!

JayFord

Reaction score
Its the refs fault

who wants to watch a game where they throw flags for everything and then miss key calls week in and week out?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I stopped going to 2-3 Dallas home games years ago but no relation to cost. The wife and I pick an away Dallas game to a place we would want to spend a few days visiting. Needless to say, we have yet to visit Philadelphia :lmao:

Like others have said, better TV’s and the comfort of home beats going to the games, excluding the premier ones anyways.

nobody

Reaction score
And esp playoff hockey! Hockey is an aquired taste and imo it takes us americans longer to get a feel for the game. My wife and I always go to 2 or more games a year and buy lots of swag.

There's an energy in live hockey games that the NFL used to have and lost, in my opinion. You also don't seen many ticky tack calls... when a player is put in the box, it's almost always obviously well-deserved.