News: PFT: NFL revenue drops from $16 billion in 2019 to $12 billion in 2020

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're prepared for anything of this nature because they know it's just a bump and this bump came at a pretty good time with the largest TV/streaming rights contracts in history coming up.

The nets realize how much they need the NFL and there is no way they're going to let it suffer. It is an odd relationship because the NFL really plays hardball with them but it is such a symbiotic relationship, they're forever bed partners and no one sleeps on the couch.

There is a major difference in the later owners that showed up when the team were valued in the billions, they have to be a lot more flush than Booger was when he paid 140M. They don't get approved without deep deep pockets.

We keep hoping the Jones will sell it but who would they sell a 5.7B team to? It's a short list of potential buyers unless it's a consortium and the NFL doesn't care much for that. They like guys like the one that just bought CAR, worth about 10B and not dependent on his team for sole income.

If there was a shortfall in the expenses of running the NFL, they would easily cover that and probably have some emergency fund set up for just such a rare occurrence.

What's funny to me are these statements of the worth of these owners, really? They're estimates because their tax records are private and Forbes is just guessing because that's their business.
I'm not worried about the owners surviving. Not really worried about the NFL surviving either. I was just responding to a sarcastic comment suggesting no one should make an issue out of teams losing revenue because the revenue is still a lot of money, and the owners still have a lot of net worth to support the loss.

In that context I thought it was fair to note (1) that revenue and profit are different things, (2) that the revenue numbers tossed around were spread among 32 teams, that whatever other sources of revenue the owners have do not support the NFL teams, and (4) while it's true they can survive a loss, the NFL is still a business, and like any other business there is concern any time revenue is down. NFL owners have to pay attention to these things and prepare for them and respond to them like other business owners.