1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Article: PFT: NFL still discussing contingency plans if outbreaks happen

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by Reality, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

4,919 Messages
    5,822 Likes Received
    "IF" what do they mean, if?
    I think we are waaaaay beyond the if here. There will be an outbreak among players. No if's and or buts about it.

cowboyblue22 likes this.
  2. Parcells4Life

Parcells4Life Well-Known Member

3,837 Messages
    6,320 Likes Received
    If the worlds health leaders haven’t found a way for people to live with the virus, you can’t play football. Canceling everything because someone MIGHT have it means it’s pointless to start.

Good luck getting Zeke to stay away from large groups for 6 months. That’s 85% of the NFL’s mindset. Young guys who are used to always being in crowds.

Flamma likes this.
  3. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

270 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    Especially if you are a mask wearer. With the St. Louis Baseball team now having 4 players testing positive, their games are cancelled.
    I could be misinformed, but if the NFL plays just ONE game, all players salaries are full guaranteed for the entire season. So, if Dak Prescott plays one game and then the season is cancelled, he will get $31M for playing ONE game. What owner is going to risk this?

4. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

15,535 Messages
    13,079 Likes Received
    I betting the season starts
    I’m not betting it last long
    If they can stay reasonably healthy in camp they have no choice but start the season
    Cancelling the season before it starts without good cause could open the owners up to a grievance with the players
    In good faith they cane to camp and the league has an obligation to act in good faith

5. Ghost12

Ghost12 Well-Known Member

1,327 Messages
    1,382 Likes Received
    I believe the recent agreement between the NFL and NFLPA is such that players do not get paid for cancelled games. In your above situation, Dak would get a little less than $2 million.

6. windward

windward NFL Historian

17,572 Messages
    3,517 Likes Received
    Australia and New Zealand are playing rugby right now.

There is a way to do it but Americans gonna American.

Hagman likes this.
  7. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Fire Garrett

9,600 Messages
    6,183 Likes Received
    There are numerous factors that contribute to this besides Americans being American. Whatever that means.

The total population of Australia and New Zealand is equal to the state of Texas. One state. This ignores other factors such as cultural dynamics, population density, government structure and the availability of tests.

So comparing the United States of America, the meeting place of the world, to two countries that are hardly ever mentioned or thought about and who's populations pale in comparison is ridiculous.

8. windward

windward NFL Historian

17,572 Messages
    3,517 Likes Received
    And then there’s Europe which is managing to play soccer without a bubble.

But if you want to make excuses for this nation’s failures, go right ahead.

9. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

14,557 Messages
    19,531 Likes Received
    I wonder if the NFL/PA have talked about prorated salaries in case of the above.

10. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

7,166 Messages
    6,262 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure it is as described in post #25.

John813 and Rayman70 like this.
  11. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

14,557 Messages
    19,531 Likes Received
    Ah, missed it somehow. lol

Rayman70 likes this.
  12. Rayman70

Rayman70 Well-Known Member

17,919 Messages
    16,002 Likes Received
    outbreaks are here to stay. Like other illnesses, viruses. Its going to be a fact of life. How the NFL chooses to cope with this in a fluid manner, matters alot. I don't think they will throw away the baby with the bathwater with outbreaks. I think thats a league killer to do that. I see them being ready for this thing and learning on the fly how to deal.The choice is simple. Shut it down and kill the league nearly, or handle each outbreak as it comes on a case by case basis...but remaining open. I think the latter will be the case.The league already lost its rear end and ate nearly a billion dollars or more in revenue because of no camp and no preseason. They cannot take any more hits like this, they just cannot.

13. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

20,489 Messages
    38,506 Likes Received