PFT: Peterson: We have to get it fixed with Carson Wentz

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sounds like Peterson is giving him the rest of the year......otherwise, the job is up for grab 2021. Hell, maybe they already know since a 2nd rounder was used on Hurt. You don't burn a 2nd on a player not expecting to make an impact.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...on-we-have-to-get-it-fixed-with-carson-wentz/
Doug Pederson: We have to get it fixed with Carson Wentz
Posted by Josh Alper on November 23, 2020, 9:07 AM ES

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If they cut him after this season it's a $77 million dead cap hit; after 2021 it's $59 million. Realistically, the soonest they can cut their losses is after 2022 ($24 million dead cap).

Hurts was supposed to be their Taysom Hill, and a good back up when wINTz inevitably gets hurt again. He wasn't drafted to take Wentz's job. Not with that contract.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That franchise has made some epically bad decisions since their SB win.

*They let Reich leave and kept Dougie, who probably still thinks he was responsible for that SB win. It’s pretty clear that it was Frank Reich.

*They let Douglas go and kept Howie Roseman.

*They let the wrong QB go. It was clear that the team wanted and responded to Foles and not Wentz, so Howie let’s Foles walk and overpays the QB that has never even won a playoff game.

*They need a WR desperately so they skip on DK Metcalf to draft JJ A Whiteside because he catches jump balls.

*Again, they badly needed WR and secondary and they refuse a trade up for CeeDee Lamb because they want to keep their second round pick, and then compound that by skipping Jefferson for Reagor because... he runs fast.

*Then, to make it even worse, they take a backup QB in the second and don’t get the secondary help they need.

The Eagles salary cap is a disaster, they’ve paid bad players, they’ve picked all the wrong players... Howie is going to get run out of that city very soon. We just need to cross our fingers that he stays a while longer.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Wentz' decline is really something - maybe it's just a funk, maybe it's the injuries, but he's definitely not looked too great. Doesn't mean he can't find the groove again, but not fun in Philly.

I think they can't give up on him though - he's simply too expensive.

BaileyRiley1

Reaction score
giphy.gif

aria

Reaction score
I used to keep giving him a pass thinking he would get better but that ship sailed a long time ago. I usually only bet on games I watch and since I got the Philthy/Browns game yesterday I put a large chunk of muuuuunay on the Browns ONLY because of Wentz and he didn’t let me down.

I was nervous for a little while because Mayfield is right up there with Wentz but I think he edges him out by a hair. Overall it was a horrible game for both QB’s and was painful to watch but Wentz pulled through in the end with his poor decision making and lack of pocket awareness. When he took the safety it was mostly downhill from there.

I love Wentz! Maybe some of you will warm up to him once you make money betting against him, give it a try. IMOF, perhaps I should start a Wentz appreciation thread. This gravy train won’t last much longer, cash in while you can.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they cut him after this season it's a $77 million dead cap hit; after 2021 it's $59 million. Realistically, the soonest they can cut their losses is after 2022 ($24 million dead cap).

Hurts was supposed to be their Taysom Hill, and a good back up when wINTz inevitably gets hurt again. He wasn't drafted to take Wentz's job. Not with that contract.

I don't see numbers near what you're suggesting.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-18950/

But the only real out I see for them is to try to find a potential trade partner.

cern

Reaction score
his head got too large and exploded. no doubt the fans and press in philly have been unrelenting in their criticism directed against him. their fans aren't caring and doting the way cowboy fans have been towards dak and zeke.

Swagger

Reaction score
Wentz had around 80 TDs to 20 INTs over the past three seasons. 4/1 TD to INT ratio was fantastic.

Nick Foles has been a complete car crash at both the Jags and now at the Bears.

I haven't really seen the Eagles play much this season but it sounds like the offensive line has been obliterated and maybe coupled with his previous injuries it has given him the yips to some degree as he has looked nothing like the QB he was over the past three seasons. You would have to question if he will be able to reach his previous level, perhaps he will when be plays behind a decent line again.

The o line is so important and too many people just brush over it. Derek Carr has played behind a good line this season and looks like the impressive QB he did when he used to play behind a decent o line. Goff had an off year last season which coincided with the Rams having one of the worst lines in the league. It's much improved this season and he looks fine again. Even Dalton we saw he was fine vs the Falcons behind a competent line yet looked all over the place vs the Cardinals when the line was horrific.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
What if they put Hurts in and he sucks? The team has a $30M+ backup QB the team has lost confidence in. If Hurts plays well then they have a $30M+ backup QB. Lose lose for the Birds. Cut or trade Wentz in 2021 and then it is $59M in dead cap. Do it in 2022 and it is $24M in dead cap space.

Add in all their aging vets and crappy contracts Howie did and you have this massive mess :)

I feel so bad for Philly and their fans. Just horrible.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@AsthmaField Nice list of Eagle mistakes.

The Eagles also have issues with their OL and TE. Ertz is upset and wants paid in a big way. Problem is there just isn't any money to be found for him. Ertz was screaming at the GM. I don't even think they are on talking terms.

Kelce was rumored to have been pondering retirement before the season started. Peters can no longer even play. Yeah, they got hit hard with injuries on the OL even before the season started. I think they lost 2 starters even before camp. If Kelce retires, they are up a creek. I don't think the OL players they drafted recently are more than JAGs.

WR is a colossal mess for the Eagles. DJax and Jeffery are most likely gone next year. Reagor will be their top WR next year.

They have so many needs and they won't be a player in FA. It is draft or bust for them. They need a few homeruns, triples and doubles in the draft.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to keep giving him a pass thinking he would get better but that ship sailed a long time ago. I usually only bet on games I watch and since I got the Philthy/Browns game yesterday I put a large chunk of muuuuunay on the Browns ONLY because of Wentz and he didn’t let me down.

I was nervous for a little while because Mayfield is right up there with Wentz but I think he edges him out by a hair. Overall it was a horrible game for both QB’s and was painful to watch but Wentz pulled through in the end with his poor decision making and lack of pocket awareness. When he took the safety it was mostly downhill from there.

I love Wentz! Maybe some of you will warm up to him once you make money betting against him, give it a try. IMOF, perhaps I should start a Wentz appreciation thread. This gravy train won’t last much longer, cash in while you can.
Wentz would be a stud if he had Zeke in the backfield......

NorthTexan95

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The numbers appear to be from your link in the "Dead Cap" column.

D'oh! You're right. I'm looking at the wrong columns myself!

I pulled up the dead money on a trade and it lists $34 million in dead money. If they somehow did it post 6/1 they could spread out the cap hit, but I'm not sure any other team would be willing to do that. $34 million would only save them $1 million in 2021, but they would get Wentz and the contract off the books for the long term, if they truly feel that they're done with him.

What would be fascinating is if the Eagles wind up with a top 5 pick and have one of the top QB's available to draft. Would they pull the trigger?

I would have to think that they would have to at least see what they have in Hurts, given that they used a 2nd round pick on him.

Qcard

Reaction score
Sounds like Peterson is giving him the rest of the year......otherwise, the job is up for grab 2021. Hell, maybe they already know since a 2nd rounder was used on Hurt. You don't burn a 2nd on a player not expecting to make an impact.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...on-we-have-to-get-it-fixed-with-carson-wentz/
Doug Pederson: We have to get it fixed with Carson Wentz
Posted by Josh Alper on November 23, 2020, 9:07 AM ES
Dak Haters!!!! We are in limbo.

We the People Demand a New Gold Standard!!!!!!!!

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The Eagles are stuck with the worst contract in all of professional sports.

Paying huge money to the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer team.