News: PFT: Randy Gregory hopes to be reinstated by training camp

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy Gregory hopes to be reinstated by training camp

gettyimages-484519458.jpg

The Cowboys open training camp on July 27, and Randy Gregory hopes to be there for it. According to David Moore of the Dallas Morning News, the suspended defensive end will petition the league for ...

Read Full Story

gmoney112

Reaction score
That'd be nice.

Until then, he's dead to me.

And I hope he uses that petition as rolling paper when he meets Gooddell.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Why on earth this dude thinks he deserves yet another chance is beyond me.

You expect to make training camp? You better be kissing butt to get a chance at all.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

The Cowboys open training camp on July 27, and Randy Gregory hopes to be there for it. According to David Moore of the Dallas Morning News, the suspended defensive end will petition the league for ...

Read Full Story
Wonderful.
We can never have enough drama.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Read Full Story
Josh Brent is pulling for him with his big cross!
The power of Yeesie compels you!
The power of Yeesie compels you!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Read Full Story

That seems like a quick turnaround for the league office, but Gregory’s side could be hoping for some degree of lenience that would allow him to go through camp and the preseason, even if he was held out of regular season games.
Suspensions are usually denominated in games. Holding a guy out for the offseason is a huge additional penalty.

The whole suspension regime in the NFL is a malignant cancer on the game.

Randy should sue the league under the ADA. Or someone should. I'm sick of it.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That seems like a quick turnaround for the league office, but Gregory’s side could be hoping for some degree of lenience that would allow him to go through camp and the preseason, even if he was held out of regular season games.
Suspensions are usually denominated in games. Holding a guy out for the offseason is a huge additional penalty.

The whole suspension regime in the NFL is a malignant cancer on the game.

Randy should sue the league under the ADA. Or someone should. I'm sick of it.

And the league would win, as they do all other cases involving their penalization system.

How about players just stop doing stuff they know is against league rules? Why is that so difficult?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Why on earth this dude thinks he deserves yet another chance is beyond me.

You expect to make training camp? You better be kissing butt to get a chance at all.

The dline isnt deep like people think. But no I dont expect him to play again

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seems to me that being allowed to participate in training camp won't help Randy Gregory's cause if he fails another test before marijuana is nationally legalized. It's likely to take some time before that scenario actually materializes. At present, since NFL players travel to many states that forbid it, he'd only be subject to further violations in the states that forbid its use.

To compound the problem for him even more, from the looks of things, Texas may very likely be one of the last to legalize weed. That's assuming it isn't likely about to be legalized on a national level anytime soon. At present, he'll still be vulnerable to suspension unless he gives it up entirely. Outside of that, there may not be any long-term relief for Randy for quite some time to come. His best option right now is to quit altogether -- not promising. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And the league would win, as they do all other cases involving their penalization system.

How about players just stop doing stuff they know is against league rules? Why is that so difficult?

How about the League follow labor laws like all other employers? Why is that so difficult?

Their exemptions from law are not total. Gregory has established mental illness and established drug addiction. (By the way, that's why it's so difficult.) Under the ADA, employers are required to provide "reasonable accommodation" for his mental health issues instead of firing him.

If you have a citation for case law that established that the NFL is exempt from the ADA, please provide. I think that would be a very tough sell in court.