News: PFT: Russell Wilson's recruiting helped Randy Gregory pick the Broncos

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, is this another opportunity to lay the blame off on Prescott for not begging Gregory to stay. Maybe he didn't care if he left? Maybe he is happy he is gone?

Might be a surprise to some but I don't think they all like each other because they're teammates. Do you like everyone you work with or would you like to see some with a window seat on the 3:10 to Yuma?

If you buy that BS excuse that he was BPD and "needed" that pot to maintain, let's go skiing in the Sahara.

Reactions: CWR

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
exactly opposite.
Dallas is 15.6% cheaper in cost of living versus Denver.
Dude took a 15% pay cut to physically move.
Neither Russell Wilson nor the Broncos were very good last year so this marriage is not at all guaranteed to bring them/him any closer to a title.

Seahawks teammates were blasting Wilson all last year.
LOL, he pretty much blasted his OL for letting him get booboo's. Even Aikman after getting sacked 11 times in 1 game and body slammed and injured didn't piss off the only guys protecting him.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
exactly opposite.
Neither Russell Wilson nor the Broncos were very good last year so this marriage is not at all guaranteed to bring them/him any closer to a title.

Ummm, having a broken finger on your throwing hand can have a tad bit of an effect on your performance.

kskboys

Reaction score
exactly opposite.

Wilson has always been a pretty good QB and has never been elite. If not for being drafted by a team w/ a nutlock D and one of the toughest nastiest RB's to ever play in the NFL, he would barely be known. And since his game is based on mobility and he's in his mid 30's, which is when the legs start to go, there's a good chance that he's closer to done than not.

kskboys

Reaction score
So glad that idiot is gone. I think we'll revisit this a year from now and learn that we lucked out with him walking.
Actually, we probably won't even care to revisit the situation a year from now because we'll be drunk coming off our Super Bowl win.

Cowboys!
I was ecstatic when I heard he backed out of our contract and signed w/ DEN!!!!!

One thing for sure, Gregory is not the type of player you build around. Even if he does well there, we got lucky to not have to pay him 13 mil/year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wilson has always been a pretty good QB and has never been elite. If not for being drafted by a team w/ a nutlock D and one of the toughest nastiest RB's to ever play in the NFL, he would barely be known. And since his game is based on mobility and he's in his mid 30's, which is when the legs start to go, there's a good chance that he's closer to done than not.
He still throws the best and most indefensible deep ball in the game.

But he does not look the same as he did 3 years ago. Not like Brady and Rodgers do. I noticed the same thing with Brees at the end of his career.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was ecstatic when I heard he backed out of our contract and signed w/ DEN!!!!!

One thing for sure, Gregory is not the type of player you build around. Even if he does well there, we got lucky to not have to pay him 13 mil/year.
I am still not over his stupid mistakes in that playoff game because of his laughing on the field. I think that's him, he just doesn't give a damn about the team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ummm, having a broken finger on your throwing hand can have a tad bit of an effect on your performance.
rofl he was begging for a trade before the season.
teammates were calling him selfish before the season.
then he played poorly reducing his value around the league.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
rofl he was begging for a trade before the season.
teammates were calling him selfish before the season.
then he played poorly reducing his value around the league.

Poorly because of a broken finger on his throwing hand. Is that not accurate?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He still throws the best and most indefensible deep ball in the game.

But he does not look the same as he did 3 years ago. Not like Brady and Rodgers do. I noticed the same thing with Brees at the end of his career.
Wilson relied quite a lot on his speed and agility to escape pressure and extend plays so he could throw those deep shots.
As you age that goes first.
He is not a stand tall in pocket guy because he's short.
But he is without a doubt still a franchise QB. I just don't know he'll ever be at that top 3 ceiling he enjoyed again.
-----------------------------
Analysis: How Russell Wilson's move from Seattle became inevitable through front office tension | The Spokesman-Review

Tuesday’s breakup – and that feels like the proper term because from a purely football standpoint trading a Hall of Fame quarterback still in his prime was never something the Seahawks wanted to do – was in retrospect many years in the making.

Some turning points in the fraying of the relationship between Wilson and the team now seem obvious:

•The loss to Dallas in the wild-card round following the 2018 season when Wilson’s camp bristled that the Seahawks took too long to deviate from a run-dominated game plan in a 24-22 defeat, proof, Wilson’s camp felt, that Pete Carroll would forever stay devoted to winning through a running game and defense.

•Wilson’s agent, Mark Rodgers, giving the team an April 15 deadline on April 2, 2019, to get a new contract completed, a move that caught some as needlessly contentious given that the Seahawks had every desire to get a contract with Wilson done that year anyway.

•Carroll’s decision midway through the 2020 season, after Wilson had passed as never before the first two months, to revert to a more conservative offensive strategy following three losses in four games in which Wilson had 10 turnovers, which Wilson’s camp viewed as Carroll putting the blame on Wilson.

•And most obvious, Wilson’s public airing last February of his frustration over being hit as often as he has and his wish to have more say in team personnel matters, Wilson stating what some in his camp had whispered for years, that they felt the team wasn’t doing all it could to max out his prime years.

CWR

Reaction score
exactly opposite.

Facts!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
the Cowboys insisted on contract language that would have jeopardized Gregory’s guaranteed money if he were merely fined under the substance-abuse policy. After all of the recruiting, Gregory gave the Cowboys a chance to remove the language.
this was one key and enough to turn down the cowboys. this is not in the normal clause which says nothing about being fined.
Then add in russell texting and facetiming him, I dont blame randy for going to denver.

the cowboys did not sneak the fine stuff in, and when he asked to have it removed he was only able to talk to a person who said stephen said no.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The broncos gm wasn't talking about Dak maybe he was referring to other QB's he's worked with but he hasn't a clue what Dak does. Now if randy had said this then it would be something to talk about.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If not for Jerry Jones, Gregory doesn't get this contract, and who knows where he is today? What he did tells me a bit about him as a person. I've known people that were a POS that wouldn't do something like that. For every Randy Gregory I lose a little more faith in humanity.
But your faith in humanity is restore when a billionaire gives Randy Gregory a chance, not because Jerry Jones is altruistic, but because he hopes to reap dividends down the road from a talented, but flawed, player?

Jerry ONLY made the move because he thought Randy Gregory would benefit the Dallas Cowboys. If Randy Gregory had the talent of a Dorance Armstrong, not only would he have dropped in the draft but would have been off the team after the FIRST transgression.

Randy Gregory is looking out for himself, like every other owner of every sports franchise. But somehow we've convinced ourselves that if a player looks out for himself - like everyone else does - well, civilization is coming to the end.

But Jerry and the rest of the owners have only themselves to blame because they taught the players how to use a system they've, up until now, had the exclusive rights to use.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Randy Gregory is a backstabbing piece of trash who is now making excuses and pointing fingers because he doesn't have the decency to admit he lied to Jerry and definitely had no loyalty to the Cowboys after 7 years of Jerry and the Cowboys going through the ringer to always support Gregory.

Forget that backstabbing loser. I hope he reverts back to heavy drug use and eventually ruins his pro football career.

Why did he OWE the Cowboys anything?

Jerry chose him because of his talent. Let's stop all this "Good Will Hunting" preening.

Randy Gregory didn't want the language in his contract that he could lose his guarantee money because of a fine. Dallas wanted it in.

If Dallas wanted him, it could have taken it out just like Denver did.

Now Gregory is a Bronco.

This has nothing to do with loyalty and more to do with talent and getting the best deal one can.

It's business, not personal. Or isn't that what they tell the peons?

Flamma

Reaction score
But your faith in humanity is restore when a billionaire gives Randy Gregory a chance, not because Jerry Jones is altruistic, but because he hopes to reap dividends down the road from a talented, but flawed, player?

Jerry ONLY made the move because he thought Randy Gregory would benefit the Dallas Cowboys. If Randy Gregory had the talent of a Dorance Armstrong, not only would he have dropped in the draft but would have been off the team after the FIRST transgression.

Randy Gregory is looking out for himself, like every other owner of every sports franchise. But somehow we've convinced ourselves that if a player looks out for himself - like everyone else does - well, civilization is coming to the end.

But Jerry and the rest of the owners have only themselves to blame because they taught the players how to use a system they've, up until now, had the exclusive rights to use.

Everybody looks out for themselves, not just athletes. But if that's all anyone ever did, the word gratitude wouldn't exist.

Maybe there's more to it, I don't know. I'm not upset that he's off the team, so I probably shouldn't have said anything.