News: PFT: Saints unhappy with missed helmet-to-helmet hit on Alvin Kamara

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
They should be. It was a totally blown call.

The officiating was definitely in Dallas favor tonite. The last interference call to close the game was iffy too especially in that situation with basically an uncatchable ball.
What game was you watching career clearly it wasn't in Dallas favor. Missed facemask on Dak, bs offside call on Gregory, clearly opi on saints TD. By the way the ball was catchable as it would have been caught had his arm not been held.

Cmac

Reaction score
We do want a properly officiated game......don't we. Refs sucked in many ways tonight.

AtlCPA

Reaction score

The officiating was definitely in Dallas favor tonite. The last interference call to close the game was iffy too especially in that situation with basically an uncatchable ball.
I have to disagree. The Saints got the better or it was close to even on the bad calls. The last PI call was legitimate. The defender clearly grabbed the arm of the receiver. The Saints benefitted from the missed PI call on their TD, and the missed face mask penalty. Dallas benfitted from the missed helmet to helmet hit, and the lunge by Beasley.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
As has been stated, there were several missed calls. The brutal face mask they did on Dak and the OPI on their TD were two that went against us, and you could make an argument that the offsides call on Gregory was a judgement call that could have changed the course of the game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

i thought it was about even. They missed the helmet to helmet on us. They missed the face mask on them. They missed the offensive pass interference on them. They missed Beasley's knee being down a yard short of the first-down marker.

I disagree with you on the defensive pass interference. The defender clearly grabbed Cooper's arm and kept him from being able to get it up to give him any chance of making the catch. The officials allow a lot of contact with handfighting, but they threw the flag based on Cooper being impeded by a grab, which is what they are supposed to do.

uvaballa

Reaction score

Good chance saints still lose even if Cowboys don’t get that PI. They shouldn’t be crying about that. Gotta play better early in the game.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Look at that again. Smith lowered his helmet. It might not have been intentional but you have to be aware of the rule.

It will be up to coaches to teach and train players different techniques without leading with the head . Like with shoulder and arm instead.
I do not like all these new rules and don’t think it was intentional But if smith keeps it up he’s going to cost us and himself in a more important situation later in the season. Smith needs to clean it up and wrap up the opposing player instead of Lunging his body head first. Watch Vanderesh how he tackles wrapping up. That’s textbook.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The nfl needs to explain this:

If you dive towards a player to tackle him how are you supposed to completely keep your helmet from hitting another player? When reaching for his waste/chest/body your head is going to get close to the player because it’s close to your arms and shoulder and may contact the player upon collision. I just don’t see how to about that unless you were able to bend your head backwards.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
By league rules, it should have been a penalty.

But what I don't understand is how a player diving through the air with momemtum is somehow expected to change the motion of their helmet so it doesn't come into contact with another players helmet. I mean Smith obviously didn't intend to hit helmet to helmet, no player would do that because it could cause injury to both players. But when Kamara ducked at the last second, helmet to helmet contact was initiated at that point. How can something like that be prevented?
Great post. I should’ve read the thread before posting. You said it better than I did.

It does seem impossible to avoid.

Hadenough

Reaction score
By league rules, it should have been a penalty.

But what I don't understand is how a player diving through the air with momemtum is somehow expected to change the motion of their helmet so it doesn't come into contact with another players helmet. I mean Smith obviously didn't intend to hit helmet to helmet, no player would do that because it could cause injury to both players. But when Kamara ducked at the last second, helmet to helmet contact was initiated at that point. How can something like that be prevented?
It cant and thats why it was a no call. both guys put their helmets down and were running full speed. If Smith pulls up and trys to change his tackle Kamara is elusive enough that he would of made by smith for the first down. It was a lights out 100mph play that unfortunately their helmets collided. Nothing intentional !

Hadenough

Reaction score
Look at that again. Smith lowered his helmet. It might not have been intentional but you have to be aware of the rule.

It will be up to coaches to teach and train players different techniques without leading with the head . Like with shoulder and arm instead.
Problem with that is Kamara is 4 feet tall when he runs and isnt a big target.

HungryLion

Reaction score
At the end of the day. Yes it’s a penalty based on the new rules.

Up to a couple years ago, that’s just called a tough, hard tackle.

Kamara was a ball carrier. He wasn’t defenseless. And quite frankly. The refs hardly ever enforce that rule when the ball carrier isn’t defenseless. Rb’s take helmet to helmet shots every game. It’s impossible to play football without it happening.

They start enforcing that rule consistently and offenses will be scoring 60 points a game.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Im unhappy with the free-face mask on Dak...and ragg-dollin' Jarwin out of bounds in the 1st Qtr.
:starspin:WE DAT:starspin: