News: PFT: Sean Lee leaning toward playing again

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I dunno. I feel like if he was any good at communicating how to play the LB position better, all those times when he got hurt and his replacements were terrible wouldn't have gone so poorly. I suspect his success was mostly due to his instincts, and he can't tell other LBs how to develop that gift.
I agree, somewhat. I believe I read the LVE and Jaylon both said he was coaching them up well while he was sidelined, so there are clearly some things he can help with.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
SLee > DWilson. #57 can't cover.

Look for Richard (who better be DC this year) to have more 4-3 packages with Lee.

They can extend Lee's career by taking him out on passing downs.
If they take him out on passing downs, what difference does it make if he can cover better than Wilson?

InTheZone

Reaction score
The abomination of a playoff game we got from LVE and Smith in the playoff game you better believe I'm bringing back Lee.

uvaballa

Reaction score
He’s a backup at this point of his career and should be paid like one.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, somewhat. I believe I read the LVE and Jaylon both said he was coaching them up well while he was sidelined, so there are clearly some things he can help with.

I have no doubt about that. I've seen Lee in action in that area and he's a natural student of the game and a great teacher. His mind is his greatest attribute. If there is any way to keep him around the team in any coaching capacity? Sign me up! Whatever he wants!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, I guess you didn't know that the salary cap is a revolving thing and not limited to just each year. Now you do.

You need to go and do the math for yourself. Clearly.

Sean Lee's salary is just one year. There will be no actual pay to Sean Lee or further cap hit with Sean Lee beyond 2019. Meanwhile, regardless of how it fits into the salary cap, saving $7 million in 2019 does not remotely pay for $30 million. There is no accounting or salary cap explanation that can make that happen.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sean Lee's salary is just one year. There will be no actual pay to Sean Lee or further cap hit with Sean Lee beyond 2019. Meanwhile, regardless of how it fits into the salary cap, saving $7 million in 2019 does not remotely pay for $30 million. There is no accounting or salary cap explanation that can make that happen.

I'm done wasting time on this utter and complete nonsense. You have fun though.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's off by $3 million! You think that can't be easily accounted for?

I'll show you.

Bye Terrance Williams! There's $2.5 more. And I'll make up the other $500,000 from the $48,525,000 I have in cap space for 2019.

Done and done!
:hammer:
We have over 76m in cap space..... it is not a problem at all

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'd like one of those too, but you simply can't get em for $8 million a year. But I'll settle for a guy with a true starting role in Richardson. A rookie of the year and Pro Bowl talent (at one time anyway).
I was talking about going big time on a DT, not staying in the 7-9m range

I would pay a stud 15m if he were available thru FA or Trade and then cut TCrawford and save 7m

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The abomination of a playoff game we got from LVE and Smith in the playoff game you better believe I'm bringing back Lee.
No LBers could have survived the onslaught they were up against.... the DL was completely blown out and the OL easily got to the second level against the LBs

We never adjusted to their Trap plays and the Rams knew our plays and slants before the play

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have over 76m in cap space..... it is not a problem at all

No, it's not.

I just half-*** played around on Spotrac. Cut Lee, Williams, and Hurns, and resigned Lawrence (20m), Fleming (3m), Austin(4m), and Reid (1m) . I then signed Thomas for a $10 million cost and Richardson at $8 million per year. And the team still has $16 million in cap room.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was talking about going big time on a DT, not staying in the 7-9m range

I would pay a stud 15m if he were available thru FA or Trade and then cut TCrawford and save 7m

I can dig it, but wouldn't count on the team ever doing that with Marinelli around.

Who's your guy that fits that description?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd keep neither.

I think we've talked before but I'd take Sheldon Richardson at similar money and have my defensive tackle better stabilized with a true starter there and give him Crawford's money. Then give Lee's to the Earl Thomas fund.

I feel that fixes the team two biggest defensive weaknesses to a great degree.

Dam...i like the plan! We need to lose Crawford and Lee. Though, if Lee would settle into a coaching/back-up role for less money, he would be worth keeping. He's going to be LB coach somewhere one day. Very smart guy. I wonder if he would sign a 3 year , incentive laiden 12 million dollar deal.

Skillit

Reaction score
I get generally annoyed with players who are always hurt. But Sean Lee does bring value to this organization even when he’s not on the field.

As long as something can be done about pay, I don’t know that you let him walk out. You can’t get anything for him Because of his injury history. And he’s definitely worth more to the Cowboys than he is to anyone else.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dam...i like the plan! We need to lose Crawford and Lee. Though, if Lee would settle into a coaching/back-up role for less money, he would be worth keeping. He's going to be LB coach somewhere one day. Very smart guy. I wonder if he would sign a 3 year , incentive laiden 12 million dollar deal.

I'd like that just fine. As long as it's backloaded.

I think it's clear that Crawford and Heath were the two weakest links for this defense on Saturday night. I'm looking to upgrade both positions. And getting Crawford as far away from RDE as possible. He's a nice inside pass rusher on passing downs, but that's it at this point.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No, it's not.

I just half-*** played around on Spotrac. Cut Lee, Williams, and Hurns, and resigned Lawrence (20m), Fleming (3m), Austin(4m), and Reid (1m) . I then signed Thomas for a $10 million cost and Richardson at $8 million per year. And the team still has $16 million in cap room.
And that is without touching TCrawford, ACooper, TSmith, ZMartin, TFred

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I get generally annoyed with players who are always hurt. But Sean Lee does bring value to this organization even when he’s not on the field.

As long as something can be done about pay, I don’t know that you let him walk out. You can’t get anything for him Because of his injury history. And he’s definitely worth more to the Cowboys than he is to anyone else.
We messed around with KMoore wasting a roster spot until we just made him a coach

Coaches salaries don't count against the cap so they can pay SLee whatever he wants to coach