PFT: Sean Payton nearly became Cowboys coach in 2019; could it happen now?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is straight from an article, which states the rules for a retiring coach.

“An employee under contract to a member club (including a head coach, general manager, or other “high level” employee) who voluntarily resigns or retires prior to the expiration of his contract, is not free to discuss or accept employment with another NFL club without the consent of the prior-employer club,” the memo explains. “This is true for the full remaining term of the employee’s contract. If a club wishes to consent to discussions of a substitute employment arrangement, that club may condition its consent on receiving appropriate compensation from the member club wishing to discuss employment with and/or hire the employee who has ‘retired’ or ‘resigned.’ Once an employee’s contract has expired, the employee is free to seek other employment with another NFL club, assuming there has been compliance with the Anti-Tampering Policy.”

So basically, unless there is an agreement from the NO to allow Payton to seek employment he cannot without consent first. If consent is granted, team "can" ask for compensation. Based on what teams paid for coaches like Parcells, Billichek, Gruden and Holgrem..... if it is anything close to those packages I think the Cowboys would be stupid to act on it. They are better off waiting until Payton's obligation to the Saints is up and than gauge interest in Payton. Interesting enough his expiring contract correlates to Mike McCathys deal with Boys ending (2024)

Good post!

bewp7

Reaction score
what is his relation ship like with jerry?

i do not remember or have keep up with it if any one ever talked about it when cowboys played saints

i do know there have been smoke about payton coming to cowboys for a while though

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I never had reason to dislike Anthony Davis, other than he hooked up with that waste of human flesh known as LeBron, until now.

Well, it really was more like Mickey Loomis' vanity, I guess.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Florio story just doesn't sound like something Jerry would do.

If we assume it's true, Dallas didn't have a 1st in the upcoming draft, yet compensation was agreed on.

So it was either a future first, or a lower pick (please please PLEASE don't tell me it would have been the Trystan Hill pick)....

There's no way I see Jerry giving up multiple firsts for a coach, so I don't know that the compensation would be all that high in this case.

When McCarthy follows a good season with a bad one per usual in Dallas, the 48th or so pick in the draft ought to get it done for him to come here in 2023.

Praxit

Reaction score
...no worries, will win division again for 22', then ousted in playoffs. You know the dealio. ;)..

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
Do you think that Payton wants to come to a team that has an overpaid QB, that is 21M over the cap, that has 21 free agents, and that his best coach is Quinn? I do not think so

JBS

Reaction score
Do you think that Payton wants to come to a team that has an overpaid QB, that is 21M over the cap, that has 21 free agents, and that his best coach is Quinn? I do not think so
Well, you are wrong.