News: PFT: The Dak Prescott negotiations, in a nutshell

WeDemBoyz

Reaction score
The dream was Tom Brady and we ended up with the Dak Prescott nightmare.

Why? Because Jerry likes the smell of his own farts.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Almost every one of the 66 comments below that article says Dak is not worth it....not surprising.

"I just don’t understand why the Cowboys want him so bad."

"This is just stupid. They signed Dalton and he’s a capable QB and is a TON cheaper. Dak just wants too much and I can’t believe Dallas is even considering giving him a long-term deal for $35M per. What has he done that tells them he’s an elite QB. He’s not. He’s not worth what he thinks he’s worth. I still think it’d be funny for Dallas to rescind the tag and cut him. Nobody could give him anywhere near what the Cowboys were willing to give him. Were they to do that I suspect Dak would come back begging them for the $35M."

"A 12-18 record outside the NFC East and a 0.433 winning percentage against teams with a winning record. Dak’s good, just not good enough."

"They’re crazy. They should let Dak go, play Dalton this year and either sign him to a long-term deal or draft a QB next year. They are going to handcuff themselves and have to let other good players go and be stuck in mediocrity."

"I just don’t see Dak being worth that kind of money. He doesn’t seem like difference maker. Seems like a great guy and good leader but not a put the offense on his back and carry the team guy. He’s been put in a great system with great line and skill players. This is too much money."

"No other team would sign this guy to a longterm deal. None. Cowboys hold all the cards and the dalton signing basically means Dak has to take less or they’ll let him walk. I can see Dak NOT being signed by a team at all if he was a free agent. Think about it: teams want rookie quarterback contracts or sure things like PM, Watson, Jackson, Wilson, etc. Dak is not either of those. Just like cam newton: too good to be a backup but not good enough to think longterm solution when a rookie quarterback contract would benefit the team more and the play may not be much of a drop off. The only team that is willing to pay him is Dallas. He better take what their next offer is or they will let him walk now that dalton, a talented quarterback with lots of experience and cheap money, is breathing down daks neck."

"The Dak Prescott contract is only interesting to Cow fans. He is not the kind of quarterback who will get the Cows into the Super Bowl, and giving him top dollars merely means that it will be even harder for the team to surround him with good talent, making it even harder for Dallas to even make the playoffs. Dak Prescott is not in the same league as Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, or even Big Ben. In fact, he may not even be as good as his current backup Andy Dalton."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/21/the-dak-prescott-negotiations-in-a-nutshell/

:popcorn:

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
Way too early to declare on Hill but having said that, draft picks are not going to get you there. Byron Smith was good player,, regardless of what the masses here think. He is gone because we valued Offense over Defense. You can draft all the good players int he world but unless you get serious about how you manage your cap and how you value them, it's never gonna make any difference and so you can't really say that it's on the Defense. It's a two way street to me so you gotta kinda understand that it rings hollow in your ears when the team says one thing but shows exactly the opposite in terms of actions.
I assume you meant jones
And jones was a very good cover guy I would have loved to have kept
But I also see that he didn’t get turnover which to me is what makes a CB elite
He’s top 5 in the league in coverage no doubt
But he got big money for a guy who didn’t get TO
Hill has a chance to redeem himself
But hill and taco to me have the same problem
They don’t have the desire to be all they can be as players and that was known before the draft
I wanted defense in this draft at 17 but lamb was too good to pass up
I do like the defensive guys we got
If, and it’s a big if, smith and Gregory can come back a play like they did when they played last that fixes a lot
DE is my biggest worry right now

conner01

Reaction score
Almost every one of the 66 comments below that article says Dak is not worth it....not surprising.

"I just don’t understand why the Cowboys want him so bad."

"This is just stupid. They signed Dalton and he’s a capable QB and is a TON cheaper. Dak just wants too much and I can’t believe Dallas is even considering giving him a long-term deal for $35M per. What has he done that tells them he’s an elite QB. He’s not. He’s not worth what he thinks he’s worth. I still think it’d be funny for Dallas to rescind the tag and cut him. Nobody could give him anywhere near what the Cowboys were willing to give him. Were they to do that I suspect Dak would come back begging them for the $35M."

"A 12-18 record outside the NFC East and a 0.433 winning percentage against teams with a winning record. Dak’s good, just not good enough."

"They’re crazy. They should let Dak go, play Dalton this year and either sign him to a long-term deal or draft a QB next year. They are going to handcuff themselves and have to let other good players go and be stuck in mediocrity."

"I just don’t see Dak being worth that kind of money. He doesn’t seem like difference maker. Seems like a great guy and good leader but not a put the offense on his back and carry the team guy. He’s been put in a great system with great line and skill players. This is too much money."

"No other team would sign this guy to a longterm deal. None. Cowboys hold all the cards and the dalton signing basically means Dak has to take less or they’ll let him walk. I can see Dak NOT being signed by a team at all if he was a free agent. Think about it: teams want rookie quarterback contracts or sure things like PM, Watson, Jackson, Wilson, etc. Dak is not either of those. Just like cam newton: too good to be a backup but not good enough to think longterm solution when a rookie quarterback contract would benefit the team more and the play may not be much of a drop off. The only team that is willing to pay him is Dallas. He better take what their next offer is or they will let him walk now that dalton, a talented quarterback with lots of experience and cheap money, is breathing down daks neck."

"The Dak Prescott contract is only interesting to Cow fans. He is not the kind of quarterback who will get the Cows into the Super Bowl, and giving him top dollars merely means that it will be even harder for the team to surround him with good talent, making it even harder for Dallas to even make the playoffs. Dak Prescott is not in the same league as Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, or even Big Ben. In fact, he may not even be as good as his current backup Andy Dalton."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/21/the-dak-prescott-negotiations-in-a-nutshell/

:popcorn:
Fans opinions
Many of which aren’t cowboy fans don’t mean much to me

ICP

Reaction score
If you believe in a player enough to trade your rd 1 pick for him in the last year of his contract then you better believe in him enough to sign him to a long term deal

otherwise you will be paying a lot more for him later and he will have all the leverage

every good FO does this

it was a big mistake and cost us a lot of money
Totally agree

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I’m happy that the FO has learned not to bend over and drop their draws during contract negotiations. Let it play out. Big Mac probably told Jerry & and the gang. He’s good. But he ain’t that good.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I assume you meant jones
And jones was a very good cover guy I would have loved to have kept
But I also see that he didn’t get turnover which to me is what makes a CB elite
He’s top 5 in the league in coverage no doubt
But he got big money for a guy who didn’t get TO
Hill has a chance to redeem himself
But hill and taco to me have the same problem
They don’t have the desire to be all they can be as players and that was known before the draft
I wanted defense in this draft at 17 but lamb was too good to pass up
I do like the defensive guys we got
If, and it’s a big if, smith and Gregory can come back a play like they did when they played last that fixes a lot
DE is my biggest worry right now

Sorry, yes, Jones.

Hill is still early in his career so I agree, he still has a chance to turn things around. I never liked Taco so perhaps I'm jaded there. We'll see what comes of Hill going forward.

The whole no TO thing for Jones, you know we could see that turn around in a hurry for another team. He's never going to be a guy who puts up a lot of INTs IMO but he certainly give you a few in the coming years. I suspect that a lot of the TO production was more about scheme and technique, then it was stone hands or lack of ball skills. I would not be at all surprised to see Byron have a really good year for somebody.

I'm not expecting a lot out of Smith and Gregory. I hope that together, they can put up decent production but I don't see either one of those guys really lasting an entire season. We really need Armstrong to step up and take hold on that position IMO.

JMO

conner01

Reaction score
Sorry, yes, Jones.

Hill is still early in his career so I agree, he still has a chance to turn things around. I never liked Taco so perhaps I'm jaded there. We'll see what comes of Hill going forward.

The whole no TO thing for Jones, you know we could see that turn around in a hurry for another team. He's never going to be a guy who puts up a lot of INTs IMO but he certainly give you a few in the coming years. I suspect that a lot of the TO production was more about scheme and technique, then it was stone hands or lack of ball skills. I would not be at all surprised to see Byron have a really good year for somebody.

I'm not expecting a lot out of Smith and Gregory. I hope that together, they can put up decent production but I don't see either one of those guys really lasting an entire season. We really need Armstrong to step up and take hold on that position IMO.

JMO
I think our scheme hurt turnovers by jones didn’t get many in college either
But he’s a great cover guy
If hill can be what he’s capable of and Armstrong can develop that’s huge
If smith could be half of what he was that’s huge
We have potential but have to put it together

csirl

Reaction score
How much of a difference maker do the Dak fans think Dak is? Most 'elite' QBs are worth 3-4 wins a season over a JAG starter. Are they trying to say the Dallas roster is not loaded? If it werent for Dak we'd be a 4-12 bottom dweller?