1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

News: PFT: Troy Aikman never received an offer to stay at Fox

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Reality

Reality Editor

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    28,101 Messages
    59,907 Likes Received
  2. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

11,579 Messages
    9,937 Likes Received
  3. ChronicCowboy

ChronicCowboy Well-Known Member

4,816 Messages
    9,425 Likes Received
    Troy isn’t worth that much money. No one tuned into Fox to watch Troy’s commentary. They’re already paying Buck obscene money as well so I’m sure their budget is maxed.

How CBS can afford to pay Romo and Nantz 30 million per year combined is beyond me. They must pay the rest of their talent peanuts.

Doomsday likes this.
  4. AmericasTeam81

AmericasTeam81 Well-Known Member

2,656 Messages
    4,310 Likes Received
    There has to be more to this story than what has been made public so far

5. TequilaCowboy

TequilaCowboy Well-Known Member

3,024 Messages
    4,063 Likes Received
    Appears FOX already had someone in mind to replace him with. Hmmmmm....wonder who it could be? :huh:

Sean COME ON DOWN....

6. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    38,309 Messages
    68,851 Likes Received
    Not as much "how" to me as "why"?

I have never watched any football game because of the broadcast team but I have turned the sound off on some of them.

MNF will never recapture what they had with Gifford-Meredith-Cosell, the Dennis Miller experiment failed and these last two MNF broadcast teams were just bad.

ESPN is hoping by adding Aikman they accomplish two things, rekindle interest in MNF but just as importantly, influence the scheduling of games. He is a high profile name and if they pair him right, they could affect the schedule. Moving TNF to a streamer opens up some scheduling I think.

7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    85,518 Messages
    67,787 Likes Received
    Fox probably had a pretty good idea of how much Troy was going to be offered. Clearly they didn't want to get into a bidding war they knew they would lose so they just walked away.

8. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    38,309 Messages
    68,851 Likes Received
    NBC and ESPN only have to worry about one game a week and one broadcast team. CBS and FOX have more to fit into the budget on the most expensive contracts they have.

I would not be surprised to see Al Michaels go to ESPN now that Aikman pulled the trigger.

RustyBourneHorse likes this.
  9. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    38,309 Messages
    68,851 Likes Received
    There has only been one ex HC make it as a color analyst and that was because of his personality. Payton does not have that, not even close.

10. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

8,203 Messages
    8,463 Likes Received
    Gruden was awesome too

11. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    38,309 Messages
    68,851 Likes Received
    I wouldn't say awesome but he did bring personality to the gig.

Motorola likes this.
  12. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

8,203 Messages
    8,463 Likes Received
    Oh you weren’t talking about John Madden?

13. Miller

Miller Artist Formerly Known As TexasFrog

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    9,759 Messages
    10,997 Likes Received
    Buck gets a lot of hate but I enjoy he and Troy’s broadcasts and hope they are together at ESPN.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Fontaine, NumOneQB and Captain-Crash like this.
  14. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    38,309 Messages
    68,851 Likes Received
    Yes, I was talking about Madden. I was not a fan of Gruden doing color, he flip flopped continuously and I got tired of his schtick "Mike, this guy......."

However, after hearing the last 6 Bozos ESPN put on MNF, Gruden was a 10.

15. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    38,309 Messages
    68,851 Likes Received
    Buck does a good job but I don't see him leaving without baseball to do as well. That's his first love and his connection to his Dad. And he is good at baseball.

16. MS17

MS17 Active Member

637 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    The Gifford Cosell Meredith MNF team was lightning in a bottle, generational. We'll never see that again, just like Pat Summerall and Madden. I looked forward to seeing them. Their last year at CBS (1993), I read that Madden made $2.5 million and Summerall $1.5 mil. The network commentators and play by play guys now couldnt hold Pat's and Madden's jock straps.

17. Cowpolk

Cowpolk Landry Hat

15,999 Messages
    24,495 Likes Received
    I'd like to see Parcells give it a shot. And I cant hear the Commentators so they could hire rodents to do it would not bother me

18. Qcard

Qcard Well-Known Member

4,962 Messages
    4,574 Likes Received
    Greg Olsen Former NFL TE is worth more than he's paid now....True Listenable Talent

19. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

13,951 Messages
    9,744 Likes Received

Remember the early 70’s watching the Rookies with Kate Jackson before MNF, what good times and memories, love and miss you 70’s.

31RoyW31 likes this.
  20. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

4,325 Messages
    1,602 Likes Received
    Fox pretty much always had either Buck or Summerall as the lead announcer for the most part. I guess the top guy will be Burkhardt and Greg Olsen. I see a lot of people like Olsen but he's so bland and forgettable and indistinguishable from Daryl Johnston or Mark Schlereth or anyone else there. I don't see why he gets the love. Aqib Talib is the only guy on Fox with any potential as a color commentator.