News: PFT: Troy Aikman never received an offer to stay at Fox

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Troy isn’t worth that much money. No one tuned into Fox to watch Troy’s commentary. They’re already paying Buck obscene money as well so I’m sure their budget is maxed.

How CBS can afford to pay Romo and Nantz 30 million per year combined is beyond me. They must pay the rest of their talent peanuts.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Appears FOX already had someone in mind to replace him with. Hmmmmm....wonder who it could be? :huh:

Sean COME ON DOWN....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Troy isn’t worth that much money. No one tuned into Fox to watch Troy’s commentary. They’re already paying Buck obscene money as well so I’m sure their budget is maxed.

How CBS can afford to pay Romo and Nantz 30 million per year combined is beyond me. They must pay the rest of their talent peanuts.
Not as much "how" to me as "why"?

I have never watched any football game because of the broadcast team but I have turned the sound off on some of them.

MNF will never recapture what they had with Gifford-Meredith-Cosell, the Dennis Miller experiment failed and these last two MNF broadcast teams were just bad.

ESPN is hoping by adding Aikman they accomplish two things, rekindle interest in MNF but just as importantly, influence the scheduling of games. He is a high profile name and if they pair him right, they could affect the schedule. Moving TNF to a streamer opens up some scheduling I think.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fox probably had a pretty good idea of how much Troy was going to be offered. Clearly they didn't want to get into a bidding war they knew they would lose so they just walked away.
NBC and ESPN only have to worry about one game a week and one broadcast team. CBS and FOX have more to fit into the budget on the most expensive contracts they have.

I would not be surprised to see Al Michaels go to ESPN now that Aikman pulled the trigger.

MS17

Reaction score

I have never watched any football game because of the broadcast team but I have turned the sound off on some of them.

MNF will never recapture what they had with Gifford-Meredith-Cosell, the Dennis Miller experiment failed and these last two MNF broadcast teams were just bad.

ESPN is hoping by adding Aikman they accomplish two things, rekindle interest in MNF but just as importantly, influence the scheduling of games. He is a high profile name and if they pair him right, they could affect the schedule. Moving TNF to a streamer opens up some scheduling I think.

The Gifford Cosell Meredith MNF team was lightning in a bottle, generational. We'll never see that again, just like Pat Summerall and Madden. I looked forward to seeing them. Their last year at CBS (1993), I read that Madden made $2.5 million and Summerall $1.5 mil. The network commentators and play by play guys now couldnt hold Pat's and Madden's jock straps.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score

I'd like to see Parcells give it a shot. And I cant hear the Commentators so they could hire rodents to do it would not bother me

Qcard

Reaction score

Greg Olsen Former NFL TE is worth more than he's paid now....True Listenable Talent

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The Gifford Cosell Meredith MNF team was lightning in a bottle, generational. We'll never see that again, just like Pat Summerall and Madden. I looked forward to seeing them. Their last year at CBS (1993), I read that Madden made $2.5 million and Summerall $1.5 mil. The network commentators and play by play guys now couldnt hold Pat's and Madden's jock straps.

Remember the early 70’s watching the Rookies with Kate Jackson before MNF, what good times and memories, love and miss you 70’s.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Fox pretty much always had either Buck or Summerall as the lead announcer for the most part. I guess the top guy will be Burkhardt and Greg Olsen. I see a lot of people like Olsen but he's so bland and forgettable and indistinguishable from Daryl Johnston or Mark Schlereth or anyone else there. I don't see why he gets the love. Aqib Talib is the only guy on Fox with any potential as a color commentator.