News: PFT: Wade Phillips says Jason Garrett is "better head coach than I was"

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wade Phillips says Jason Garrett is "better head coach than I was"

GettyImages-106400973-e1547164927566.jpg

The Cowboys hired Jason Garrett in 2007 before they hired Wade Phillips. It was obvious then that Garrett would replace Phillips as the team's head coach at some point. It came during the mid...

Read Full Story

I have always said that Wade was better. And with football, X and O's hes way better. Calling a game, decisions for sure.

But I now give Garrett the nod for being a better figurehead and or team leader. For what thats worth. Personally, I would want neither guy has HC. As coordinators, its not even close.

JMech

Reaction score
I have always said that Wade was better. And with football, X and O's hes way better. Calling a game, decisions for sure.

But I now give Garrett the nod for being a better figurehead and or team leader. For what thats worth. Personally, I would want neither guy has HC. As coordinators, its not even close.

Good perspective. I still dont believe that Garrett is the leader of this team. The leadership is with 4 players on the offense and a couple or three on the defense. That is the core leadership on this team. When Garrett is standing in front of the team and talking all they hear is..........blah, blah, blah, blah. Similar to his press conferences.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
From someone who’s never come out on the right end of an exchange with me, that’s saying, well, nothing.

Maybe find someone whose judgement I respect who agrees with you here and have them get back to me.
Smack talking, boys.

Aim it at the Lambs.

We all brothers here.

No?

We all have people we rub the wrong way here.

Play nice..it's game time.

:mad:

davidariust24

Reaction score
They have to out physical us to win . I feel like our run defense cant allow themselves to get out physicaled firstly. Secondly, they cant get fooled by alot of player, lineman movement/blocking and set up blocking. To have success you have to fool our linebackers or simply out physical us. I'd love sua filo to start but if Connor William's plays he needs to be ready for a TON of aaron Donald because Donald wants the weakest link. Suh is a load and could cause major problems himself. The front four can cause problems. They may try to concentrate on the run more and try to make prescott beat them but allow Donald to peel his ears back to get to the qb at all times, not that they qont try to get the qb but the run. Is more important. I'm sure their linebackers will be fired up since they want to win and no one ever talks about them. It's going to be a good game

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
From someone who’s never come out on the right end of an exchange with me, that’s saying, well, nothing.

Maybe find someone whose judgement I respect who agrees with you here and have them get back to me.
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

* so,I reckon yer' one of them there, " keeping score&playing fer keeps" type ,,,eh?o_O

davidariust24

Reaction score
If I'm wade Phillip's I'd stop the run first and make Dak beat me. I'd ask my corners to play their best game because they are needed. He has two former pro bowlers in Talib and peters. I know Talib stepped up to the challenge many times before taking on one on one assignments. His most notable was gronkowski.. Phillip's may want double cooper and just knuckle up vs the rest of the receivers and stop the run. .he is know for having something you haven't seen in big games . We just have to come out hungry and ready to play

links18

Reaction score
Coach Cupcake admits he's a cupcake? How cupcake-like of him.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
If I'm wade Phillip's I'd stop the run first and make Dak beat me. I'd ask my corners to play their best game because they are needed. He has two former pro bowlers in Talib and peters. I know Talib stepped up to the challenge many times before taking on one on one assignments. His most notable was gronkowski.. Phillip's may want double cooper and just knuckle up vs the rest of the receivers and stop the run. .he is know for having something you haven't seen in big games . We just have to come out hungry and ready to play
Son of Bum definitely ain't no slouch,in fact he could be what some would consider a genuine defensive guru in the defensive scheming of a single game& given the time to extensively break down/study upon the opponent (He had that Denver defensive unit wired right in their last Superbowl appearance,that's for sure)o_O

davidariust24

Reaction score
Son of Bum definitely ain't no slouch,in fact he could be what some would consider a genuine defensive guru in the defensive scheming of a single game& given the time to extensively break down/study upon the opponent (He had that Denver defensive unit wired right in their last Superbowl appearance,that's for sure)o_O

Yes he did

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Wade is a great defensive football mind, but he is not a leader. He's just too damn nice. He's the guy you want to be the grandfather to your kids type, not leading an NFL team. I always liked Wade, just not as my head coach. He's just too soft, too nice, too mellow.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Wade is a great defensive football mind, but he is not a leader. He's just too damn nice. He's the guy you want to be the grandfather to your kids type, not leading an NFL team. I always liked Wade, just not as my head coach. He's just too soft, too nice, too mellow.

There was a side to Phillips when he was alone with the players the public never saw. He could "bite", to borrow Jerry Jones' words, when the situation called for it. He was just not "that way" enough for the players to buy into it when he was tough and aggressive.

I think it was just a case of Wade being a better coordinator than head coach. Like you, I always liked Wade. And the Cowboys had some real good defenses when he was here.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good perspective. I still dont believe that Garrett is the leader of this team. The leadership is with 4 players on the offense and a couple or three on the defense. That is the core leadership on this team. When Garrett is standing in front of the team and talking all they hear is..........blah, blah, blah, blah. Similar to his press conferences.
Show me where even one player has so much as hinted at this.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Wade Phillips says Jason Garrett is "better head coach than I was"

GettyImages-106400973-e1547164927566.jpg

The Cowboys hired Jason Garrett in 2007 before they hired Wade Phillips. It was obvious then that Garrett would replace Phillips as the team's head coach at some point. It came during the mid...

Read Full Story
Duh....JG is one of the best coaches in the NFL.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I’m a bit surprised people aren’t making more of how big it is for Wade to say something like this. Whatever you think of him as a coach, Wade is pure class.

I actually think he’s also being a bit charitable to Garrett (though I think Jason is a far better leader and team architect). The knock on Wade was always that his teams, which often had regular season success, couldn’t do much in the playoffs. Garrett still hasn’t proven that his teams can do more.

JayFord

Reaction score
Wade may not have had playoff success but dang it I liked wade and he always got regular season wins tho