News: PFT: Would DeMarcus Lawrence skip the full season?

glimmerman

Reaction score
I thought bell was not smart for holding out. He missed out on 14.5 million? About as much as he made his whole career in one year. Now he has kind of a not so great rep and still not getting the asking price he wants.

CPanther95

Reaction score
No, he's smarter than Bell was........regardless of what a contract you get after being out of the game will never recoup the huge amout the franchise tag would be.

Unless you got seriously injured while on the tag.

Or your performance sucked while on the tag.

conner01

Reaction score
I thought bell was not smart for holding out. He missed out on 14.5 million? About as much as he made his whole career in one year. Now he has kind of a not so great rep and still not getting the asking price he wants.
Bell let his ego cost him money
Now he will never get that money back
I get why players don’t like the tag for fear of injury. That’s a real consern and one they should have thought about before they agreed to it in the cba

MaaS

Reaction score
I think the 2nd tag should be banned/against the CBA. It's BS that they should be able to do that to players... you already tagged him, he got 26 sacks in the last 2 years, so make up your mind... pay him or watch him play for the Colts or Jets this year.

I agree with you. If a team and player can't come to terms after one franchise year, the player should be allowed to enter free agency freely.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's not forget, Le'Veon Bell forfeited $14 mil. Not sure Tank will do that to make a point.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
He would skip a full year if he is still trying to find Goff's soul.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Comparing Khalil Mack on the tag vs the new contract.

Consider his total pay if he had a career ending injury in 2019.

Option 1: Played 2018 and part of 2019 on the tag.
Total pay is about 38M.

Option 2: Played 2018 and part of 2019 on the new contract.
Total pay is 60M.
He isn't Mack and shouldn't be compared to him

B- there are no career ending injuries anymore....even Shazier is coming back

No one here thinks he is even worth one 1st round pick but me

JohnBoy

Reaction score
"Lawrence could pause his career by a season and force the Cowboys to choose between letting him hit the open market or apply a third franchise tender in the amount of the average salary of the five highest-paid quarterbacks. That amount would easily exceed $25 million for 2020."

Question: if he skipped a season, then how would he then get a third franchise tender? If he refuses to play this season because of franchise tag, then they don't have to pay it to him, right?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think the 2nd tag should be banned/against the CBA. It's BS that they should be able to do that to players... you already tagged him, he got 26 sacks in the last 2 years, so make up your mind... pay him or watch him play for the Colts or Jets this year.

You understand the "A" in "CBA" stands for agreement, right? The players agreed to it, now they don't like it.

They'll have to negotiate it out of the next CBA or bargain for something in exchange.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dont see Tank doing that...……………..flushing $20 million down the crapper is insane.

That's more money than 99% of the population will make in their entire life.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here's hoping good sense and wisdom swoops down on Demarcus Lawrence and our FO to make a mutually agreeable contract a reality.:thumbup:

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The real question to consider here is how do you value Lawrence? Is he a surefire game changer? Is he the kind of once in a generation talent that can dial up a sack when needed? No. So breaking the bank for him is out of the question. 17 mil a year.

CPanther95

Reaction score
He isn't Mack and shouldn't be compared to him

B- there are no career ending injuries anymore....even Shazier is coming back

No one here thinks he is even worth one 1st round pick but me

Shazier coming back is an EXTREME longshot. Regardless, what do you think he's worth on the market right now?

Injuries happen, drops in production happen, off-field issues happen. Many reasons to not risk the $50 million guaranteed that'll be there even if he waits it out until next year - just to snag the $20 million now.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Shazier coming back is an EXTREME longshot. Regardless, what do you think he's worth on the market right now?

Injuries happen, drops in production happen, off-field issues happen. Many reasons to not risk the $50 million guaranteed that'll be there even if he waits it out until next year - just to snag the $20 million now.
not just 20m.... he already got 17m..... the 20m is guaranteed the second he signs

Just saying career injuries are super rare and he can get insurance for that at 10k per 1m lost or 200k for 20m

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The real question to consider here is how do you value Lawrence? Is he a surefire game changer? Is he the kind of once in a generation talent that can dial up a sack when needed? No. So breaking the bank for him is out of the question. 17 mil a year.
He doesn't even go against the LT