Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whispers — NFC East
Commanders OG Kendall not showing his age

Oct. 11, 2008

Kendall200.jpg

Commanders OG Pete Kendall

square_black.gif
Commanders sources marvel at the job that OLG Pete Kendall is doing. The Commanders have become a left-handed running team, often sending Clinton Portis right over Kendall’s backside. And Kendall is getting it done, muscling bigger, stronger defensive tackles and cleaning out linebackers even at age 35 with ailing knees. He’s a big reason why the Commanders have been so strong up front.

square_black.gif
Cowboys ORT Marc Colombo quietly is setting himself up for a nice payday this offseason. Though he’s not considered the most athletic tackle in the game, Colombo has shown he can get into space and play with power, and he has cut down on his penalties. He could rate as the top free-agent tackle available in next year’s crop.

square_black.gif
The Giants’ defensive ends tend to get most of the credit, but DT Fred Robbins is having a terrific start to his season. He is getting off the snap in a flash and already is threatening his career high for sacks, which is 5½ (he has four now). Robbins sees a lot of single blocking, but he has been an underrated force on the Giants’ front.

square_black.gif
Eagles WR DeSean Jackson still needs refinement as a receiver. Despite his nice start, Jackson, team sources say, has a tendency to run sloppy routes and round off his patterns too much in an offense that expects him to be more precise. Though his production has been better to date than any other rookie receiver under coach Andy Reid, Jackson must continue to get better at the finer points, because he’s costing his team first downs when QB Donovan McNabb can’t find an open receiver.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2325724 said:
Whispers — NFC East

Oct. 11, 2008

square_black.gif
Cowboys ORT Marc Colombo quietly is setting himself up for a nice payday this offseason. Though he’s not considered the most athletic tackle in the game, Colombo has shown he can get into space and play with power, and he has cut down on his penalties. He could rate as the top free-agent tackle available in next year’s crop.

I am absolutely going to hate it if we lose Columbo. I know we can't keep every player, but he is a beast and deserves a good contract. I wonder if it will be possible to keep him, Ware, and Canty.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2325761 said:
WoodysGirl;2325724 said:
Whispers — NFC East

Oct. 11, 2008

square_black.gif

I am absolutely going to hate it if we lose Columbo. I know we can't keep every player, but he is a beast and deserves a good contract. I wonder if it will be possible to keep him, Ware, and Canty.

Ware is a no brainer obviously. Canty hasn't shown as much as I thought he would. But the year is still young. Colombo has always been doing what he's doing now although he may be getting into space better. He's finally getting the attn he deserves.

Right now if I were GM I'd try to add Colombo do that list and hope for Canty to stay affordable. Canty may want to go to a 4-3 team and try to earn at least one big pay day in his career. I personally hope we can keep him.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Ware doesn't even belong in any discussion about who we should target signing.

Colombo is at the very top of my personal list of the others that are in question.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Keep Canty? Why?

How many underachieving overpaid players can one defense stand?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2325792 said:
Keep Canty? Why?

How many underachieving overpaid players can one defense stand?

I'm not so sure he's underachieving. He gets about what one expects a 3-4 DE to get. I'd certainly like to see more from him and Spears in the passing game. I don't think Canty has had a subpar year in run defense.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I was saying I want to keep all 3 guys.

If it came down to it Ware is a no brainer for getting resigned and the other guys walk without blinking.

Just wouldn't mind seeing all 3 locked up.

Boysboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2325724 said:
square_black.gif
Eagles WR DeSean Jackson still needs refinement as a receiver. Despite his nice start, Jackson, team sources say, has a tendency to run sloppy routes and round off his patterns too much in an offense that expects him to be more precise. Though his production has been better to date than any other rookie receiver under coach Andy Reid, Jackson must continue to get better at the finer points, because he’s costing his team first downs when QB Donovan McNabb can’t find an open receiver.

From what I've read, McNabb just stopped throwing to Jackson altogether in the Skins game b/c he kept running sloppy routes.

This doesn't sound like "rookie mistakes" to me. He was a bonehead in college, so it's not like a leopard can change his spots.

Boysboy

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2325884 said:
I hope we pay and keep him

Me too-you can bet Belichick will target him next offseason, assuming his OTs keep stinking it up.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I remember when it was tough debating who should be our #1 target for re-sign

Canty or Colombo

no doubt in my mind now, there wasn't much either before

Colombo

Phantom

Benched
Reaction score
My main concern with Colombo, and our entire offensive line for that matter is they are all 30 years old, or a year away from reaching 30. Colombo is a great player, but the type of money he MAY command, in my opinion will force us to let him walk. We need to resign Ware, as well as add a receiver, an inside linebacker and probably a safety in free agency and or the draft.

I'd rather use our first round pick on a guy like Loadholt, Cinron Black or Andre Smith and take over for Colombo.

yesfan

Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago we had turn styles at that position.Jerry
should get it done soon and save a good junk of coin.Otherwise,you
know his ticket to Miami is waiting for him.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
I agree that age is a concern for the OL. They seem to tire late in the year and of course heal slower due to age. I was a little surprised they signed left tackle Adams (age 33) this past year to such a big contract knowing that Colombo would be a free agent in a year.

I would feel a lot better if I knew that some of the younger backups could step in and play.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Phantom;2326005 said:
My main concern with Colombo, and our entire offensive line for that matter is they are all 30 years old, or a year away from reaching 30. Colombo is a great player, but the type of money he MAY command, in my opinion will force us to let him walk. We need to resign Ware, as well as add a receiver, an inside linebacker and probably a safety in free agency and or the draft.

I'd rather use our first round pick on a guy like Loadholt, Cinron Black or Andre Smith and take over for Colombo.

Every case is different, but Olineman usually play well into their mid to late 30s. Imo, we take our chances with a known commodity in Columbo, rather than take a chance on something as risky as a draft pick.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Phantom;2326005 said:

I think in today's train all year and better understanding how to keep pro athletes on the field you can count on an OT playing to at least 35 and probably 37-38. So I'm good with him for one to two more contracts.