Philly could be eyeing Byron Jones

kskboys

Reaction score
So true! Watching DeMarco Murray go there was amusing then it was pretty sad how he played.
Wasn't how he played. They tried to use him as primarily an outside runner, when his obvious strength is inside. It was about as dumb as when they signed Asomuhghawa, the best man cover corner in the game, and shoved him into a zone.

Flamma

Reaction score
Byron is a good player but he will cost too much. The fact that he is not a ball-hawk has always made it feel easier to see him go, at least for me but I have appreciated his coverage ability (mostly) the last couple of seasons but I don't think he's worth huge money...I like the idea of a comp pick for him, especially as a 3rd.

If that's what the Cowboys thought about him as well then they should have signed or traded him for a pick before the season started. That's something I notice the Patriots doing. Now what?

kskboys

Reaction score
If that's what the Cowboys thought about him as well then they should have signed or traded him for a pick before the season started. That's something I notice the Patriots doing. Now what?
Yup. We never do that. We even kept Mike Jenkins w/ a replacement already on board. And turned down a 2nd round pick. Stupid stupid stupid.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Eagles are not a blitzing team. No idea where the narrative came from but Jim Schwartz has never been a blitz heavy DC. He will dial it up to protect the DB”s but all things being equal he wants to rush 4 and play coverage.

They are interested in Jones because he’s the best combo of age and skill on the FA market.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/ac0yqu/nfl_matchup_teams_blitzing_the_mostleast_in_the/

No, not anymore, but they were under Johnson. I mean, are you kidding me right now?

Reading is fundamental Dude. Nowhere in the post you are responding too does it say Blitz. It says pressure, which can be accomplished through either blitz or pressure from your front front 7, via scheme.

Hey, sometimes I read things and what i actually read and what a poster actually is saying are two different things. I think this is the case here.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
No, not anymore, but they were under Johnson. I mean, are you kidding me right now?

Reading is fundamental Dude. Nowhere in the post you are responding too does it say Blitz. It says pressure, which can be accomplished through either blitz or pressure from your front front 7, via scheme

I’ll just leave this here for you.

OK, but lets look at what and why Philly is looking at Jones, assuming the report is true. Why would they making this....

They do it with scheme so for them, the CB that can allow them to run the multiple blitz scheme is probably worth it because with out that guy, you can't run that scheme. So what's important to them? If we look at the secondary last year, who do they have on their roster that can fit the bill? I think you gotta context it in terms of what is really important to them, scheme wise.

That's just my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’ll just leave this here for you.

OK, but it doesn't say that they do that. It says CBs who allow you that kind of flexibility are important. I mean, leave whatever you want but I ask you, is this a lie? Of course it isn't. Of course it would be better.

But it's your story, you tell it.

For the record, Jim Swartz does blitz and he does it a lot, depending on the situation. He has very specific beliefs on when and where to dial it up. If you have watched Swartz over the years, you know this. If all you are doing is commenting on him since he's been with the Eagles, you may not have a clue.

Last edited:

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
OK, but it doesn't say that they do that. It says CBs who allow you that kind of flexibility are important. I mean, leave whatever you want but I ask you, is this a lie? Of course it isn't. Of course it would be better.

For the record, Jim Swartz does blitz and he does it a lot, depending on the situation. He has very specific beliefs on when and where to dial it up. If you have watched Swartz over the years, you know this. If all you are doing is commenting on him since he's been with the Eagles, you may not have a clue.

Ok so you are one of those people that can’t admit they are wrong.

You said “no where in my post did I say “blitz”, I point it out and you can’t admit it.

And no Jim Schwartz does not, and never has, blitzed a lot. You can say he does but you are wrong, he is always in the bottom 5-10 in blitz %. This year he blitzed a bit more because the back end wasn’t holding up but he still ranked in the bottom 5. And yes I know he has a specific philosophy on when he likes to blitz, just like ever other DC.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's weird for sure.

The only reason to not bring Jones back is because you just think given our cap situation, where our money is spread, it might not make sense to pay him a potential elite level contract for a CB. But to say let him walk because he's not that good? LOL.

And I am one that believes we have a "talented" roster. Not the most talented, but certainly better than the results of the last few years. I'd say we are arguably one of the top 10 most talented teams in the league. Granted, that could change quickly with FA and us losing guys like Jones and Quinn and replacing them on the cheap with slop.
I savvy, but you can make a case for the coaching staff, who is going to try to install a high TO defense, could look at Jones and say - this is not our guy to sink money into.
He doesn't do what we want to do.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Philly and about a dozen teams are likely eyeing him...

He will never be a player that creates turnovers...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ok so you are one of those people that can’t admit they are wrong.

You said “no where in my post did I say “blitz”, I point it out and you can’t admit it.

And no Jim Schwartz does not, and never has, blitzed a lot. You can say he does but you are wrong, he is always in the bottom 5-10 in blitz %. This year he blitzed a bit more because the back end wasn’t holding up but he still ranked in the bottom 5. And yes I know he has a specific philosophy on when he likes to blitz, just like ever other DC.

Sure, whatever. And you are another of the endless Eagel Fans who doesn't know their own Coaching Staff. See how cool labels are?

You don't know what your talking about. Go look at your Coach. Look at his trends over the years. They are consistent. Go watch him in his big games. See when he dials it up and when he doesn't. He has a pattern, it is like death and taxes. But the point is, that if you are going to play pressure defense, you need a guy who can take out the oppositions WR one on one. I mean, how do you not understand that this is the point of the conversation and not Blitzing?

You want to say that Schwartz doesn't blitz? OK, I don't care. Let me help you here, "Swartz, a HC who never ever uses the Blitz, is probably looking at Jones because he needs that CB to shut down one side of the field one on one."

Try to focus and stay on point here.

Sydla

Reaction score

I live in Philly area.

He's not a blitz guy and never has been. Sure, he's had to use it, even recently, because of injuries and his secondary getting mauled at time but he's not a blitz happy guy and the stats show it. In fact, one of the biggest criticisms up here is that he wouldn't blitz enough, especially when they were getting mauled through the air.

You go back and look at his one year in Buffalo, they were bottom of the league in blitz percentage, same with his time in Tennessee. He tells the story that his last year in Tennessee, he thinks he set a record for few blitzes as they only brought 5 or more like 8% of all defensive snaps.

He's very judicious with the blitz. That doesn't mean he never blitzes. Of course he does, but he typically sends 5 or more at a rate that would typically rank in the bottom 5-7 every single season.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I find it pretty funny how many people talk about how loaded our roster is with “talent” yet those same people constantly bash about 75% of our roster (O line, WR and RB being the exception and even then they don’t want to pay them). Almost every free agent article I have read has Jones in the top 5-10 OVERALL yet here we are 10 pages in with lots of people saying he isn’t that good and not worth anything special.

Point being, here is another guy that most analysts and other teams consider very talented yet a lot of our fans don’t. So once again, where is all this alleged “talent” we have when one of our best players is considered to be average?

The WR who shows up half the season and drops balls like hot potatoes? The RB who taps out during some of the most crucial parts of the game? The QB who most people want to let walk or pay barely above a scrub?

Either this roster is extremely over rated, which is my opinion, or there’s a lot of fans that say we have one of the most talented rosters in the league but can’t point out more than a handful of players (outside the O line) which every team can do.
It's literally insane.

Despite having questionable coaching Byron was a top 10 corner in 2018 and top 20 in 2019. He's played 64 straight games without injury, is an amazing athlete, has high IQ, and literally ZERO drama at a position that reeks drama.

The responses in this thread have been borderline embarassing.

Love how everyone is screaming "this is a pass happy league" yet they don't want to pay by far our best pass coverage player. These are the same fans that are going to come in this forum and whine in 9 months when he leaves and our pass defense ranking goes down 5 to 7 spots next year (what you lost by far your best secondary guy and the defense isn't adjusting ? hmmm wonder why ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I live in Philly area.

You are not accurate on Schwartz. He's not a blitz guy and never has been. Sure, he's had to use it, even recently, because of injuries and his secondary getting mauled at time but he's not a blitz happy guy and the stats show it. In fact, one of the biggest criticisms up here is that he wouldn't blitz enough, especially when they were getting mauled through the air.

You go back and look at his one year in Buffalo, they were bottom of the league in blitz percentage, same with his time in Tennessee.

He's very judicious with the blitz.

Well, I guess I don't know what to say here. It's easy to say that Schwartz is not a guy who dials up the blitz all the time but I just don't think you guys are really paying attention here. If all you have done is watch him while he has been in Philly, then maybe I understand but it's not really true to say that. He is a pressure guy. If he does it with the Blitz or with just a 4 man rush. The point of the discussion was, why is Philly looking at Jones? He doesn't have the guy who can take a WR out in order to be successful, regardless of if he brings it or not. I mean, of course every Coach would rather do it with 4 Down Lineman, but that's not reasonable anymore, on most teams.

Look at Schwartz and when he dials it up. He dials it up on 3rd downs between his own 20 and 30 like 41% of the time and between his own 40 and 50 like 53% of the time he calls the blitz. It's not how often, it's why and with how much success. In Buffalo, he had poor corners, he couldn't Blitz. It's not that he didn't want to. There is actually an article somewhere where he comments on this. In Tennessee, they were loaded along the DL. They didn't have to blitz because they had Kearse, Vandon Bosch and Haynesworth. I mean, that's what I commented on earlier, if you have that kind of talent you don't have to blitz but if you don't, you gotta be able to dial up pressure some kind of way. Look at Detroit in 2015. Detroit Blitzed like 25% of the time that year. That's lower then the average that year but, it's when he uses it and how he uses it, where he uses it. His PRP with the Blitz was 34.1, which was 15th in the League that year. So even though he was at the bottom in actual Blitz called, he was in the middle of the league in actual production off the Blitz. Less Blitz but more effective.

As I said earlier, Philly wants to get back to pressure D and regardless of if they get that pressure off the Blitz or with a 4 man rush, they are going to need Corners who can cover. This, IMO, is why they are looking at Jones.